400-Pound Woman Who Fell Through Sidewalk Says Her Size Saved Her

Size does matter!

The 400-pound Queens pedestrian who crashed through an Upper East Side sidewalk said yesterday that a thinner woman might have died from that fall.

?Thank God, they said that my size was the only thing that saved me,? Ulanda Williams, 32, told The Post as she was discharged from NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.

Williams, of Springfield Gardens, was waiting for a bus at about 9:10 p.m. Friday when she tried to hide from the rain under an awning.

The ground suddenly disappeared beneath her ? and she was swallowed whole by the cavernous space adjacent to the cellar of The Blue Room on Second Avenue.

?It was horrible, absolutely horrible,? said Williams, who broke her arm in two places in the 6-foot fall.

The social worker, who wore an arm brace as she left the hospital, had bruises and cuts all over her face and neck from the fall.

She said there were no warning signs indicating that any possible sidewalk danger.

?Nothing, nothing,? she said. ?It happened so instantly that I didn?t even recognize anything. Cement was all over me, debris. They had a bed frame down there, broken pipes and wood pieces. It was a hollow place.?

?I was standing there approximately 10 seconds and when that occurred, I just fell right through,? said Williams, who stands about 6-foot-5.

The FDNY had to use a crane and cargo net to get her out.

City Department of Buildings inspectors found that a 4-by-6-foot section of sidewalk had collapsed into a vault cellar in front of the building.

Further investigation revealed defective steel doors leading to the vault, and a first-floor staircase was loose.

more

Survival of the fittest my ass...

I'm ordering a round of pizzas now, who wants to join me?

Glassed Silver:mac

It was probably her big fat ass that caused the sidewalk to collapse in the first place.

This is what I was about to say, a thinner woman man not have survived the fall, but a thinner woman may not have broken through in the first place.

Oh well, all's well that ends well--and really, there should have been a sign up if anything was going on with the sidewalk construction-wise, no?

• Like 2

there should have been a sign up if anything was going on with the sidewalk construction-wise, no?

there wasn't any construction goin on. At least not before her big ass fell through :laugh:

Also, agree with the point that her size may have broken the fall, but someone thin probaly wouldn't have fell at all.

The sad thing is that she will now use this as a justification for remaining overweight. :no:

And to sue the government/council/whoever is responsible for the pavements over there.

The 400-pound Queens pedestrian who crashed through an Upper East Side sidewalk said yesterday that a thinner woman might have died from that fall.

Death? from a 6foot fall? come on! Someone thinner falling 6 feet would have less of an impact due to their lower mass, they would probably come off better than she did!