Cisco to sell off Linksys division

5267418222_448cc6d526_z_original.jpg

Cisco may be preparing to dump its Linksys wireless router division, according to Bloomberg.

The tech giant has reportedly contracted Barclays to aid in the sale of Linksys, which it acquired in 2003 for $500 million (?309 million).

Crediting the news to sources with "knowledge of the situation", the report claims that Cisco?s home wireless router subsidiary will be sold at a marked down price point due to its ?low margins?.

Linksys may prove to be an attractive proposition to TV set manufacturers looking to tap into its brand cache and in-house technologies.

The sale is part of the Cicsco's ongoing strategy to shift from the consumer market and focus on its corporate and enterprise service units.

This strategy was demonstrated by the 2011 termination of its Flip camera business and a mass layoff of 14 per cent of its global workforce, which has claimed 11,500 jobs to date.

Neither Cisco nor Barclays has commented on the rumours thus far.

Source

Source

Good, hopefully whoever buys it starts putting Broadcom back in the routers instead of Marvel so we can start using dd-wrt again!

I'd just be thrilled if the routers actually worked! God, Linksys has been garbage for years... I hope someone is able to turn them around, but Cisco certainly seems to be having their share of problems...

• Like 3

Oh well? I got a Linksys WRT610N running Tomato USB (480@533Mhz). This router is rock-solid since I bought it 4 years ago. Can't complain. The stock firmware is poop though, I gotta admit.

Good, hopefully whoever buys it starts putting Broadcom back in the routers instead of Marvel so we can start using dd-wrt again!

You mean to say my old WRT54G or whatever it's called that I recently pilfered from my old stash at my mother's place is still current? :p

You mean to say my old WRT54G or whatever it's called that I recently pilfered from my old stash at my mother's place is still current? :p

My mom still uses one, and I have 2 of them down stairs!.

Back in my day there was no stinkin' N or 5GHz or AC networks! We connected to our wifi networks uphill in 40ft of interference both ways!

• Like 1

I'm still using a WRT54G, only because will it just works for what i need.

It is a pretty pitiful situation in the world of routers these days; Belkin is hit and miss, Netgear can't seem to get their website to work properly let alone provide timely firmware updates for their products, Linksys used to be the standard barer but that is since evaporates which leaves me with d-link where I bought a DSL-2870B which has been performing pretty well so far but my fingers are crossed. The biggest problem is that there is, like the PC world, a race to the bottom with a lack of real quality modem routers/stand alone routers for those of us who don't mind paying a little bit more for a better product.

I run a Cisco modem/router. Best I've had.

Shame about Linksys really. I hate when companies buy decent products and run them into the ground. Tax right off no doubt.

I had a WRT54G, amazing router. Put whoever designed that, in charge, and get back to making awesome hardware

It is a pretty pitiful situation in the world of routers these days; Belkin is hit and miss, Netgear can't seem to get their website to work properly let alone provide timely firmware updates for their products, Linksys used to be the standard barer but that is since evaporates which leaves me with d-link where I bought a DSL-2870B which has been performing pretty well so far but my fingers are crossed. The biggest problem is that there is, like the PC world, a race to the bottom with a lack of real quality modem routers/stand alone routers for those of us who don't mind paying a little bit more for a better product.

belkin is just miss :p

On the lower-end these days I'm a fan of TP-Link for low priced routers that aren't total crap :) For higher end there's good models from various manufacturers, just gotta look for reviews. Asus has some pretty nice higher end routers.

Enterprise Equipment is where its at like Cisco's Aironet Ap's :yes:

Forget about consumer routers. Consumer = Crap;

g2Uwe.jpg

FTW!

Makes me glad I ditched my E2000 router last year for Asus's RT-66U model (gotta love that it's called Dark Knight). Before that I had three Linksys routers die over the course of 3 years.

I have the Amped Wireless R10000 and I LOVE IT!

Before that I had a Netgear WGR614 and it was pretty good as well.

I upgraded cuz the netgear didn't have guest networks, was only G, and the wireless started acting up.

Enterprise Equipment is where its at like Cisco's Aironet Ap's :yes:

Forget about consumer routers. Consumer = Crap;

g2Uwe.jpg

FTW!

That looks like a needy, mutated baby.

• Like 2

I run a Cisco modem/router. Best I've had.

Shame about Linksys really. I hate when companies buy decent products and run them into the ground. Tax right off no doubt.

I think Cisco always owned Linksys.

Edit: nevermind, i'm wrong.

Well I don't know, Netgear has made 3 of the best routers I've ever had, 2 of which are still in use...the 3rd I killed with ignorance, and Belkin's not bad once you stop using their firmware. The one DLINK router we've had just up and stopped working for seemingly no reason.

From my exp. it just seems to be luck of the draw. I've heard people who swore by Belkin and never had any problems, then others (like me) who say it sucks. Same goes for any of them.

My sis had a blekkin and it only lasted a day. Also the thing couldn't even keep proper system time, let alone maintain a wireless connection or any connection to the internet at all. it literally needed reset every hour.

That's what you're gonna expect from a 20 dollar router from wal-mart. My sis just wanted to use it for xbox live with my bro for a few days and that didn't even happen. LOL.