A giant goldfish was caught in Lake St. Clair last Friday.

Mike Martin loves to fish. He has been fishing for 20 years. "First one I've ever caught and I fish it religiously," said Martin.

"We see them all the time but, to actually catch them is rare," he said. "Everybody wants to just dump them off their seawall and let them be free and this is what they turn into."

The fish was over 3 pounds and nearly 15 inches long. Martin caught it while ice fishing for Perch.

He says he thought it was just a big perch on the line before he saw what it really was. "Definitely not a perch," he said.

Martin says he called his father after the catch "I didn't know what to do with it, what do you do with a goldfish?"

His father told him to put it in a bucket and take it home.

Martin says he called the DNR to see what the state record is, but hasn't heard back yet.

"This will probably be the only one I ever catch so he's going to go on the wall," said Martin.

source

post-37120-0-97902700-1358446205.png

Yay, catch it and then needlessly put it on a wall. Let's take a life for zero reason! Douchebag.

How many Foxconn lives did it take to make that Macbook Pro Retina in your sig? /s

Wonder if any oddball chemicals would be found in the fishes system if any, That thing is a beast to survive in the wild that long.

Yay, catch it and then needlessly put it on a wall. Let's take a life for zero reason! Douchebag.

Not seeing how he's a douchebag... He enjoys fishing caught something he's never caught before and wants to show it off I don't see the big deal here.

You know one main reason one may actually do this is because this is not the natural ecosystem of the fish and its presence there (through human dumping) endangers the rest of the fish population.

When they are that size they become aggressive towards other fish.

I had one that was 1/2 that size and it ate the rest of the fish(20 different other fish that were in the tank) plus took a big size chunk out of the plastic ship that was in the tank with him.

That fish probably started feeding on the other fish and before you know it there are no perch or other fish in that pond. They have even been known to attack the scavengers such as pike and gar fish that keep ponds clean.

If you don't believe me about things taking over just look at Florida and the Anaconda population... it has almost completely taken over the everglades. Which also eats other snakes as well as some protected bird life. Which the normal Snake population does not get big enough to eat the whole adult bird. They have been known to eat Flamingo's which the rest of the snakes can only go after the eggs or the young.

Another example is the Snakehead fish which have become super aggressive and have even gotten rid of turtle populations in ponds as well.

snakehead_fish.jpeg

Those fish started out in people's Specialty tanks but people release them as they get too big and now they have overrun the normal fish population. These fish can co-exist with Parana.

Florida wildlife service States that if these fish are f caught - DO NOT re-release back into the population. Instead kill on sight.

That is another reason that Goldfish in Koi ponds are usually the same size. (if the fish are smaller than the bigger one dominates it.)

Before you know it there won't be any more Perch (or bass) in that pond only Goldfish. (that even eat their own young).

Go cry me a river...

You really love to judge people.

How many Foxconn lives did it take to make that Macbook Pro Retina in your sig? /s

Wonder if any oddball chemicals would be found in the fishes system if any, That thing is a beast to survive in the wild that long.

(Y)

I remember having some feeder goldfish that we kept in a tank until they grew pretty large, then gave them to someone who lived in a woodland area to put in their creek. Visited about a year later, and those fish were about 14" long and lived at least another two years or so before some eagles got them. (it was a densly wooded area with a lot of canopy coverage by trees so not easily visible from air). Never knew they could get so big or live so long until then.

How many does this one grant?

giant-goldfish.jpg

that's a koi, what the guy caught was a goldfish. they are both different kinds of carp species. goldfish don't get that big, but I've seen bigger ones than the one that guy caught.

Are goldfish good to eat? Not that I would but just wondering.

Well...they are a type of carp so yea I guess you could spice it just right. Probably full of bones if you try to "eat" it vs. swallowing it whole. Never had one myself and probably never will.

merica! .... im pro hunting and fishing, including pest control and such ... but if ur going to kill it cause you enjoy hunting or fishing... eat it atleast....