New Windows 8 Watermark

I've had the final build of Windows 8 since it was available on TechNet and it's never had a Build Watermark in the corner, I recently added in Media Center and now a Watermark has appeared on my Desktop. Is there any way to get rid of it?

jT4h5.jpg

Don't know if this was a fix... but you could try this:

Hope this works - in the past this was a way turn it off.

gpedit.msc [/CODE]

Look for "show version number on desktop"

Click disable. or configure. - There was a setting that said "DON"T SHOW"

also -

check for activation then reboot.

"some have suggested" the checking for activation then a reboot fixes that.

Restart your computer? I had this too, but once i restarted, it said I was activated and good to go.

Yeah, it's always been activated since I first got it.

Just with MS plugging the Media Centre piracy hole, I wonder if keys accessed by the same free method have been revoked / blacklisted in some way ?

Check the notification center for information about the issue that causes its appearance. Media Center installation warns about the start-up services Media Center needs and offers to disable them. Once that issue is resolved, your watermark should disappear.

Edit:

Sometimes the installation of Media Center will deactivate Windows, have you checked since this issue? If this is the case, just reactivate. :)

Check the notification center for information about the issue that causes its appearance. Media Center installation warns about the start-up services Media Center needs and offers to disable them. Once that issue is resolved, your watermark should disappear.

Edit:

Sometimes the installation of Media Center will deactivate Windows, have you checked since this issue? If this is the case, just reactivate. :)

Notification Centre is only moaning at me to backup since I turned off Auto-backup 2 weeks ago, and asking me to solve a problem with GTA Vice City not working correctly. I've checked the PC Properties and it says Windows is still activated... :/

post-350302-0-62612200-1358551756.png

Don't know if this was a fix... but you could try this:

Hope this works - in the past this was a way turn it off.

gpedit.msc [/CODE]

Look for "show version number on desktop"

Click disable. or configure. - There was a setting that said "DON"T SHOW"

also -

check for activation then reboot.

"some have suggested" the checking for activation then a reboot fixes that.

[b]check for activation then reboot.

"some have suggested" the [u]checking for activation[/u] then a reboot fixes that.[/b]

I've changed the wallpaper since and it's still there.

Try changing the theme and then change it back, it might or might not work

Did you try re-installing Windows or deleting the key from the system and re-activating it again?

Ok this was stupid. I'd even restarted a 3rd time, changed the theme, changed the wallpaper, searched fruitlessly among the group policies for the option to turn it off, tested to see if my validation was authentic.

I hit F5 on the desktop and it disappeared....

Did you try re-installing Windows or deleting the key from the system and re-activating it again?

Wouldn't reinstalling Windows present him with the same problem?

There is an option based on CP you could try http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-watermark-build-number-info-from-desktop-in-windows-8-consumer-preview-public-beta/

or via software http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/141754-windows-8-rtm-watermark-and-activation-notification-remover/

Ok this was stupid. I'd even restarted a 3rd time, changed the theme, changed the wallpaper, searched fruitlessly among the group policies for the option to turn it off, tested to see if my validation was authentic.

I hit F5 on the desktop and it disappeared....

Well Done!!