Laws on abusive teens!

Alright guys!

Had misuses on the phone tonight who's a manager at Mac Donald's cry because of teenages (14-15) making threats in groups of around 15. When she stood up to them had burgers thrown at her and threats to hit her.

Obviously, you can guess my responses to come down! But she's more interested in staying there and working in a safe environment.

I told her tomorrow to call the police tomorrow and ask for advice on if they can actually do anything. Her manager are saying there isn't no point and hiding away behind the counter. She works on the floor/dining area.

They have security but they do not work until 7pm - until 10 pm. Basiclly this is ether side of kids going home and the drunks turning up as its of a town centre location!

This is down to the manager being more concerned in saving money.

I said to her to write to the manager making the complainant clear and saying he has 14 days to reply or she will contact head office informing of unsatisfactory response from manager.

Does anyone know of what laws protect staff at work?? Other then health and safetly. Because when doing a tad research it seems that, macdonalds are very independent and not accountable to union's etc...

Not sure if anyone has anything that could help?? But i think this is more of a vent of my annoyances!

As you'd done, tell her to call the police. I had a deal with a similar thing when I was manager of a busy Subway store. Make sure the CCTV captures any incidents, as that's the best defence. Usually these teens are already in trouble with the police. I had one girl run out with a sandwich and she just sat across the road eating it with her mates, thinking I wouldn't do anything - I phoned the police and they managed to catch her, though they had to chase her for quite a while. Turns out she had several other charges against her. As part of the bail conditions she wasn't allowed on the premises. She was taken to court and while she initially plead claimed to be innocent once she realised there was CCTV evidence she plead guilty. Once she apologised and paid for the sandwich she was allowed back in the restaurant and she didn't cause any more trouble.

It might sound excessive to get the police involved and pursue it to court but if you don't you tend to find the situation escalates. If one person thinks they can get away with it then their mates tend to follow. The police will explain what rights and protections you have under the law and advise you with how to deal with the situation. They're incredibly helpful and take even small crimes very seriously. The police are there to help, so don't be afraid to use them.

You really need to get her manager on side though, as without their support it will be difficult getting anything done. They should take issues like this very seriously. If not then get her to speak to her area manager and to ask for advice and support - sometimes managers get it wrong and area managers have a lot more experience. It may cause ripples but if the area manager supports her then her job will be safe.

If it happened more than once, then it's a good idea to get the police involved. She should also talk to her superiors about getting security to come in before 7 PM. I've seen first-hand how much trouble a large group of kids can cause at a restaurant. And I've also seen how quickly they fall into line when the police show up. They're still kids but they're also misguided.

Just because it's burgers doesn't change the fact that she was assaulted, if McDonalds won't provide security, then she needs to have the police dept programmed into the closest phone in the shop

Yes if only McDonald's workers were unionized, then teenage customers wouldn't be able to harass them :rolleyes:.

Hurling objects at the manager is assault, remaining on the premises after being told to leave would be trespassing. There are already laws against these things. Call the police.