Shaving

188 members have voted

1. 1. What's your shaving weapon of choice?

• Electric Shave
    • Manual - Cartridge (Multiblade changeable heads IE Gillette Fusion/Mach 3)
    • Manual - Double Edge
    • Manual - Cut Throat
    • Manual - Disposable

I am currently moving from the expensive manual cartridge shaving to double edge razor's as reports are generally a better shave can be had as well as the price in the long run is much cheaper.

Apparently a lot of people are moving away from cartridge razors because of these factors so want to see how many here are part of these statistics.

Let me know if something is missing from the list of answers so I can add it.

I'm sporting a full beard at the moment - haven't trimmed it about 2 months. So, I just use an electric to clean up along my neckline.

When I do shave, i use a double edge cartridge.

And shaving cream > gel - makes a huge difference.

I usually just use my electric hair trimmer. Isn't a clean shave, but I like a bit of stubble.

But yes, good cartridge razors are expensive, but they can be used many times before they're dull, so really, they're worth the price.

If I do shave with crappy razors, it usually takes me 3 to 5 of them, whereas an expensive one, I can use it 3 to 5 times.

Currently using Hydro 5 & 3 (when the 5's aren't on offer), and I have a Phillips electric shaver for when I'm out of blades. I usually shave twice a week, and the blades will last 3 or 4 outings.

Using King of Shaves Alphagel instead of foam makes a BIG difference too.

I use a Gillette Fusion Power with the mini trimmer thing on the end. Useful for sideboards and if you have a beard.

It is quite expensive for the blades but you can pick up value packs for ?20 which usually come with 8-10 blades and the razor. Just buy that dump the razor and use the blades. Works out cheaper. A blade for me usually lasts 2-3 months. So ?20 once a year isn't so bad.

I have an electric shaver too but doesn't shave as well as a manual.

Electric clippers. I don't do no manual blades... unless it's cut throat, but I prefer to have a little bit of stubble - definitely take that any day over various razor burns and so on.

I use electric every few days and then a razor when i let it grow a bit long. Electric is much cheaper in the long run. It comes out to about 50$ a year to use instead of 75+ for regular razors.

I find the double edge safety razor quite superior to the multiblade cartridge ones. It's much nicer over all shave & much better for my face. With two or three passes you can get super clean shave with razor burn.

I use this:

http://www.amazon.co...58860987&sr=8-1

Also don't over look getting a good shaving soap or cream, rather than gel or foam in a preassurized can.

I use the menthol and eucalyptus Propaso stuff:

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_d_26

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_d_17

It can take a bit work to get used to, but it's much better for the face & it can become quite an enjoyable morning ritual!

I changed to DE razor before Christmas for the same reasons as you cost, plus i have redness on the side of my face and sometimes above my lip and because i know its there it annoys me so i feel others see it too so my "theory" was if i used a decent razor like a DE and shaving cream thats all natural unlike the canned stuff it would help it. Also since changing i find i enjoy shaving more and spend more time doing it for the perfect shave, cause you have to be a little more careful because you do nip yourself a little more than with the gillette's. (Cut my lip and it bled all day lol)

Here is what im currently using:

Equipment:

Edwin Jagger DE89 - http://www.nkdman.co...9-safety-razor/

Bluebeads Revenge Shaving Brush - http://www.bluebeard...-shaving-brush/

Pre Shave, Shave, After care:

Proraso Pre Shave Cream - http://www.nkdman.co...-shaving-cream/

Taylor and Bond Sandlewood Shaving Cream - http://www.nkdman.co...-shaving-cream/

Osama Alum Bock - http://www.nkdman.co...sma-alum-block/

Razor Blades:

Got a mixture of razor blades

100+ Derby

20 Astra

20 Shark

The blades normally cost about ?10 for 100 which is about a years supply if you calculate 2-3 used a week.

Ps i shop around for the items links are just to show =)

i bought a while back a double edged safety razor for $3 (stainless steel) and 1000 Razor blades $8 (stainless steel) online, I do a full shave every Sunday with this razor, and then Tuesday and Thursdays I do a quick touch up with an electric during the mornings while i get ready for work.

I've yet to find an electric shaver that cuts close enough, and nerve damage keeps my hands way

too shaky for straight razor use.

You need SensoTouch 3d. It cuts close like a razor. Alternatively you can use something called Magic Shave powder. While it is primarily marketed towards African Americans, it does work on all skin types and colors. It does kind of reek like Nair until you take a shower but nothing cuts closer than this period that's razorless.

SK[' timestamp=1358861459' post='595470442]

My issue with electric is it doesn't get close enough which can mean stubble tugs on my collar which in turns ends up creating a irritable rash. No one else find this?

I only get rashes if I do a clean shave, but not all the time. Never from leaving stubble though.

I use Gillette Fusion and find it OK. I don't shave every day - I'm lucky enough that work don't really care if I turn up to work clean shaven or with a huge beard on my face so tend to shave once every week or so, to keep irritation of my skin to a minimum. But always find that the Gillette stuff gives me a good clean shave even if the blades are a total rip off.

I also shave my head, so double edge is just to scary for me. So I just use a regular Manual razor with replacement cartridges.

I also recently switched over to this Dollar Shave Club (referral link removed-you know this isn't allowed) as I heard it advertised on Howard Stern, I just got my razors a week ago, and they are very good quality, just as good as a Fusion or whatever it may be (that is what I used Prior, that and sometimes a Mach whatever it is by Gilette), but those fusion and Mach replacements are so damn expensive.

So for $6 a month, I get 4 cartridges mailed to my house, which means 1 a week, which is awesome, as I was definitely trying to make a blade last at least 2 weeks prior since they were so expensive

Now when I posted on Facebook, someone was good enough to share with me the fact that this Dollar Shave Club gets such awesome deals because they buy in huge ass amounts from this place.. Dorco If you buy a 4 pack of razors from them, it is $4 minus shipping, so it is not until you buy in large amounts you start seeing a good deal over Dollar Shave Club.

My one and only beef with Dollar Shave Club is their Razors are ever so slightly not as wide as a Gillete or Mach 10 or whatever it may be. If I had to guess, they are probably like a 1/4 of an inch not as wide. So this just means a couple of extra strokes with the razor, but does wind up meaning another minute or two for someone like me who shaves their head as well.

But seriously their razors are just as high as quality as any of the big boys, which I was very happy to find out, and they are so much less expensive. If you are going to stick to manual razors with replacement cartidges, I seriously cannot recommend them enough, even if you do not click on my referral link so I get a free month, anyone who uses this system of shaving owes it to themselves to at least try a month. No questions asked cancel at any time policy. You can even opt for a 2 month plan instead of a 1 month, as I imagine there are plenty of people who could make each razor easily last 2 weeks. Since I shave my head though, I like the idea of having a super sharp, super new razor once a week for just $6 a month (including shipping). I really am quite happy with it. Cheapest I found replacement cartridges for my Fusion was like $16 for 6 or something. Was always so expensive.

Edited by John S.

Electric to remove long hairs then manually.

I used to use a long hair trimmer followed by a manual when I had a few days growth in the past however I since noticed the reason I hated shaving long stubble was the fact my razor was fudd. I changed to a higher end cartridge razor and no longer bother with the trimmer as I no longer find my razor tugs at hairs. I just hate paying the stupid pricing so will move to a DE razor. Hopefully I can do it without cutting my face to bits.

Electrical shaver all the way. I'm far too clumsy to trust myself to safely use sharp objects in the morning.

SK[' timestamp=1358863062' post='595470526]

I used to use a long hair trimmer followed by a manual when I had a few days growth in the past however I since noticed the reason I hated shaving long stubble was the fact my razor was fudd. I changed to a higher end cartridge razor and no longer bother with the trimmer as I no longer find my razor tugs at hairs. I just hate paying the stupid pricing so will move to a DE razor. Hopefully I can do it without cutting my face to bits.

You'll almost certainly get a few nicks your first time or two with a safety razor. But once you get the hang of it you should rarely get any. Honestly I got nicks more regularly with the multiblade razor. Probably the best strategy for a for a beginner is doing one pass in the direction of the hair growth. Also you only need a minimal amount of pressure.

had a full beard now for about 7 years

razors have significantly increased in price since i last shaved lol

You'll almost certainly get a few nicks your first time or two with a safety razor. But once you get the hang of it you should rarely get any. Honestly I got nicks more regularly with the multiblade razor. Probably the best strategy for a for a beginner is doing one pass in the direction of the hair growth. Also you only need a minimal amount of pressure.

Yeah I read that. Most people are recommending the Merkur 34C which you can use just the weight of the thing to perform a nice cut. Waiting for it to come in stock though :(

Due to razor burns and the fact that I'm lazy git I only shave once a week, normally a Sunday morning, with a Gillette turbo mach 3, and Gillette gel.

When I do shave, I do it twice, first time with the grain, then against the grain end up as smooth as a silk, also done in a hot shower.

I do find the price of razors are getting slightly out of hand, and I've yet to find an electric razor which gives me really smooth close shave.

SK[' timestamp=1358868865' post='595470684]

Yeah I read that. Most people are recommending the Merkur 34C which you can use just the weight of the thing to perform a nice cut. Waiting for it to come in stock though :(

yes they can be hard to get on because they seem to always get recommended, thats why i ended up getting the Edward Jagger D89 and it got a decent review. Site i used for information when starting was www.badgerandblade.com and also ShaveNation on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy

i also think teh DE razors look nicer than the cartridge ones ^^

you will find a murker and the jagger reviews on there.