I need a free FTP server, please help me find one

Question

FirePhobos

Hello there people, I'm recently going trough some monetary issues...

What i need is a free ftp server with at least 1-5Gb space, ability to upload files larger than 800 megs and bandwidth limit superior of 10 gb...

Yes I know cloud services will do nicely, still i really need an ftp server.

I know it's a lot to ask but if anyone knows any server like this please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

LUTZIFER

What about MEGA? Or is that not free or not what you want?

What about running your own on your own computer/server? I've done that before, much easier to deal with.

Daedroth

Does it have to be an FTP server, or can it be any file sharing site which meets your requirements? What about BillionUploads?

Crisp

Dependent on your home connection, have you considered running an FTP from home?

Geoffrey B.

in the past i have always just ran filezilla and hosted my own FTP connection however, i have a 5Mb upstream on my home connection.

• Like 1
FirePhobos

My connection is slow to say the least, and due to the power outages here i cant use my computer as a server.

+BudMan

Curious why you think you need ftp? But here is a site that provides ftp access to any of the cloud services - its a one time $20 fee after you get your free account. http://storagemadeeasy.com/CloudFTP/

• Like 2
fusi0n

Filezilla with SSL

Sorry, didn't read. Look at Mega or what Budman said

Travelar

Please consider a service that doesn't transmit user credentials in clear text.

game_over

1-5gb space, 10gb bandwidth, 800mb file uploads.

thats a big ask for free, but can be provided extremely cheap.. how long do you need it for, is it a permanent thing?

+BudMan

^ for ftp maybe, but those requirements are met by like every single FREE cloud provider are they not?

I am really curious to the reason for the required ftp - its kind of dying protocol with cloud space becoming common everywhere. Its a difficult protocol with the control and data channels on different ports, active vs passive and all the nats and multiple nats on both server and client sides. You can do some stuff with SSL to remove the security issues of clear text username passwords. But this again can get complicated because ftp helpers can not see the info to allow the connections through nats while inside a ssl tunnel, etc. SFTP (ssh) is a better solution to ftp stuff in general - but its for some crazy reason never really hit mainstream use.

Which can prob be explained with easy secure SSL/TLS access using any web browser to space in the cloud.

So why is ftp actually required - maybe its not? And we can give the user a better solution?

• Like 1
Freelancer1111

http://www.square7.ch/

7 GB Space, no Bandwidth Limit,

although it is more a website for webspace, you can still use it for FTP (also you can set up multiple accounts (max. 20) for different folders).

I know it's German, just use a translator if needed (should be self-explanatory though).

+Mirumir

Free FTP

imho there's only one way to get a real deal and it involves buying a hosting solution. (why would anyone give out a service which costs money (hardware + internet access costs) for free?)

moloko

WOW seems you are asking for alot for free. Time to pony up and not be cheap. Save your lunch money for 2 days or stop buying a coffee for one day. Why not just spend 5$ a month and get a file host then you can FTP your 800mb files at 10Gb a month.

FirePhobos

Thanks for all the help/advise for the moment I will use http://powrhost.com/ as i'm unemployed and i have a household to sustain i cant afford to spend a penny in hosting. Let's see if in a near future I can get a job and pay the bills properly and then I can buy ftp space.

Once again thanks to you all!

+BudMan

Is that the correct url?

"http://powrhost.com/" has been blocked by the <snipped> Web Security URL Filter Database. The URL is listed under categories (Spam URLs), which are not allowed by your administrator at this time. The following reputation level was assigned to it: Suspicious.

So you want to use a site that webfiltering blocks?

Glassed Silver

Thanks for all the help/advise for the moment I will use http://powrhost.com/ as i'm unemployed and i have a household to sustain i cant afford to spend a penny in hosting. Let's see if in a near future I can get a job and pay the bills properly and then I can buy ftp space.

Once again thanks to you all!

That site - even without anything telling me - looks cheesy and suspicious as hell...

Glassed Silver:mac

+BudMan

Still not one mention of why he thinks he needs "ftp" To be honest I doubt it is - there are always different ways to skin the cat, I would like to know why ftp is the only method of skinning this particular cat ;)

• Like 1
TAZMINATOR

Still not one mention of why he thinks he needs "ftp" To be honest I doubt it is - there are always different ways to skin the cat, I would like to know why ftp is the only method of skinning this particular cat ;)

Host companies have FTP server along with web server such as apache.. for example, you want to use FTP so you could upload site data to be seen by public... so your administrator can setup an ftp account for you. even the setup files for anyone to download from the web... ie: ftp://domain.com/files/firefox.exe or http://domain.com/files/firefox.exe ... something like that.

Please note the links that I mentioned above, those are not real... Neowin changed from text to hyperlink by itself.

Guth

user with less than 10 posts, asks for ridiculous requirements for free, then miraculously finds a host that suits his needs perfectly!

Sounds like a bad attempt at advertising to me

inb4 powrhost is OP's crappy site

• Like 1
+BudMan

I agree with you hosting companies normally provide ftp or sftp or webdav or web gui as way of managing files on your host site. But the OP mad no mention of just free hosting site.

He only mentions being able to ftp 800MB file - not that this 800MB file would then be on some website mysite.tld etc.

Details of what exactly he believes he needs ftp for would go along way into helping us suggest solutions to what he is wanting to do. Most free webhosts are more than likely going to be a lot lower than 5GB of space?

If the files will ultimately be available via http, why does he need ftp as method up uploading them - why does the current cloud solutions not work?

Need details of the cat if you want actual help in finding the best skinning method!

edit: Guth makes a good point, it could be just a spamming method for this crap site he says he is going with.

• Like 2
Glassed Silver

user with less than 10 posts, asks for ridiculous requirements for free, then miraculously finds a host that suits his needs perfectly!

Sounds like a bad attempt at advertising to me

inb4 powrhost is OP's crappy site

Not saying OP is this guy, but it's pretty interesting what one WhoIs and a quick Google search on that name returned (second result even, after his own website (?) that just blanks):

http://thenextweb.co...khat-douchebag/

Wouldn't touch Powrhost with any size pole as it looks.

Guth

Not saying OP is this guy, but it's pretty interesting what one WhoIs and a quick Google search on that name returned (second result even, after his own website (?) that just blanks):

http://thenextweb.co...khat-douchebag/

Wouldn't touch Powrhost with any size pole as it looks.

haha I just left whois and was going to google when I saw your post :)

Just in case, sorry OP if you are not advertising via asking a question first then answering it yourself. This does look fishy though.

Draconian Guppy
user with less than 10 posts, asks for ridiculous requirements for free, then miraculously finds a host that suits his needs perfectly! Sounds like a bad attempt at advertising to me inb4 powrhost is OP's crappy site

You do make a point...

@ OP update us?

Check powrhost twitter:

#GuilhermeLeicam and located in portugal and other portugal related stuff...

OPs info:

Too fishy...

TAZMINATOR

I agree with you hosting companies normally provide ftp or sftp or webdav or web gui as way of managing files on your host site. But the OP mad no mention of just free hosting site.

He only mentions being able to ftp 800MB file - not that this 800MB file would then be on some website mysite.tld etc.

Details of what exactly he believes he needs ftp for would go along way into helping us suggest solutions to what he is wanting to do. Most free webhosts are more than likely going to be a lot lower than 5GB of space?

If the files will ultimately be available via http, why does he need ftp as method up uploading them - why does the current cloud solutions not work?

Need details of the cat if you want actual help in finding the best skinning method!

edit: Guth makes a good point, it could be just a spamming method for this crap site he says he is going with.

You made valid points but the OP is trying to pull the users to his site for his services or site hits.

The files can be download from either ftp or http depends on site owner's decision.

Budman, not everyone use the cloud services, you know.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      WinSCP 5.17.8
      by Razvan Serea

WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client, FTP client, WebDAV client and SCP client for Windows. Its main function is file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers scripting and basic file manager functionality.

WinSCP features:

Graphical user interface Translated into several languages Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons) U3 support All common operations with files Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol Batch file scripting and command-line interface Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways Integrated text editor Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH Explorer and Commander interfaces Optionally stores session information Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media WinSCP 5.17.8 changelog:

TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1h. Allow using Windows Store apps aliases as terminals (particularly Windows Terminal). 1901 Limiting error report and message search URLs to 4 KB, as larger URLs fail to open in some browsers. SSH private key tools (PuTTYgen and Pageant) upgraded to PuTTY 0.74. Bug fix: Session.CompareDirectories handles incorrectly files with names containing reserved XML characters. 1897 Bug fix: Keep local directory up to date extension fails if error occurs before session URL is parsed. Bug fix: SFTP uploads started over already disconnected session do not reconnect automatically. 1913 Download: WinSCP 5.17.8 | 10.6 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Standalone Executable | 8.7 MB
      Link: WinSCP Home page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      WinSCP 5.17.7
      by Razvan Serea

WinSCP is an open source free SFTP client, FTP client, WebDAV client and SCP client for Windows. Its main function is file transfer between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this, WinSCP offers scripting and basic file manager functionality.

WinSCP features:

Graphical user interface Translated into several languages Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons) U3 support All common operations with files Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol Batch file scripting and command-line interface Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways Integrated text editor Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH Explorer and Commander interfaces Optionally stores session information Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media WinSCP 5.17.7 changelog:

WebDAV core upgraded to neon 0.31.2. Security fix from PuTTY 0.74: If an SSH server accepted an offer of a public key and then rejected the signature, WinSCP could access freed memory, if the key had come from an SSH agent. vuln-agent-keylist-used-after-free Displaying progress of synchronization in Keep local directory up to date extension. 1887 Displaying session name and operation status in console title of Keep local directory up to date extension. 1888 Translation updated: German. Removed workaround for lack of support for max-keys parameter in Backblaze S3 API, as it is supported now. 1871 Bug fix: Failure while changing path using path label while another command was executing already. 1877 Bug fix: Failure when system settings change during synchronization. 1879 Bug fix: Failure when trying to close WinSCP while reading a remote directory. 1880 Bug fix: Failure after using files from a disconnected session (for example saving an edited file). 1881 Bug fix: Directory reading cannot be cancelled for SFTP servers that provide optional end-of-list field. 1883 Bug fix: Going to root folder in the local panel does not update selection in the directory tree. Download: WinSCP 5.17.7 | 10.6 MB (Open Source)

• By Copernic
      WinSCP 5.17.6
      by Razvan Serea

WinSCP features:

Graphical user interface Translated into several languages Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons) U3 support All common operations with files Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol Batch file scripting and command-line interface Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways Integrated text editor Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH Explorer and Commander interfaces Optionally stores session information Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media WinSCP 5.17.6 changelog:

Added new af-south-1 and eu-south-1 AWS regions. 1864

Translation updated: Brazilian Portuguese.

Not defaulting to Documents folder on a network drive even if it is mapped. 1869

Workaround for lack of support for max-keys parameter in Backblaze S3 API. 1871

Installer upgraded to Inno Setup 6.0.5.

Bug fix: Transfer settings are not preserved when starting synchronization in new window.

Bug fix: Keep remote directory up to date window cannot be restored after it was minimized to tray using Minimize to System Tray command, when the window was opened from command-line or using Start in New Window command. 1868

Bug fix: Starting synchronization in a new window should be disabled when Selected files only option is selected, as that combination is not implemented. 1870

Bug fix: Starting a synchronization in a new window does not work if the remote path consist of one level only.

Bug fix: Failure when canceling an authentication of an ad-hoc session from a workspace opened from command-line. 1875

Bug fix: GSSAPI key exchange authentication is off by default as it caused failures when old version of MIT Kerberos was installed on the machine. 1874

Download: WinSCP 5.17.6 | 10.6 MB (Open Source)

• By Copernic
      WinSCP 5.17.5 [Update]
      by Razvan Serea

WinSCP features:

Graphical user interface Translated into several languages Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons) U3 support All common operations with files Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol Batch file scripting and command-line interface Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways Integrated text editor Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH Explorer and Commander interfaces Optionally stores session information Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media WinSCP 5.17.4 changelog

TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1g. WebDAV core upgraded to neon 0.31.1. Local file panel honors preferred drop action of source application. 1848 Increased maximal length of proxy and tunnel credentials. 1849 Truncating too long directory names in session tab title. Optionally do not distinguish multiple sessions opened to the same site by current path. 1734 Bug fix: Failure when fallback SSH channel fails to open. 1845 Bug fix: Failure when creating shortcut for jumplist fails. 1846 Bug fix: Window position is not restored, if its left or top edge was aligned to monitor edge. 1852 Bug fix: Wrong layout of Login dialog on monitors with low vertical resolution. 1463 Bug fix: FTP file uploads are interrupting with TLS 1.3. 1834 Bug fix: Empty directories are not uploaded to FTP server when transferring in background. 1859 Bug fix: Percent sign (%) in PuTTY session settings (such as IPv6 scope syntax) is misinterpreted when importing. 1860 Bug fix: Failure when starting with automatic workspace opening when none of the workspace sites exist. 1861 Changes in WinSCP 5.17.5:

Translations completed: Brazilian Portuguese; and updated: German and Russian. Bug fix: Failure when starting fresh installation on high DPI displays. 1862 Download: WinSCP 5.17.5 | 10.6 MB (Open Source)

• By Copernic
      WinSCP 5.17.3
      by Razvan Serea

WinSCP features:

Graphical user interface Translated into several languages Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons) U3 support All common operations with files Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH-1 and SSH-2 and plain old FTP protocol Batch file scripting and command-line interface Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways Integrated text editor Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH Explorer and Commander interfaces Optionally stores session information Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media WinSCP 5.17.3 changelog

TLS/SSL core upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.1f.

WebDAV core upgraded to neon 0.31.0.

Installer upgraded to Inno Setup 6.0.4.

Translation updated: French.

Importing site-specific key files from FileZilla. 1841

Showing session name in Synchronization checklist and Keep remote directory up to date windows, when the operation was executed in a new window/from a command line. 1838

Session.ScanFingerprint now works even for Amazon S3 protocol.

Bug fix: Failure after resuming system from sleep. 1829

Bug fix: Option to disconnect a session was available even while deleting local files, and caused failure when selected while no session was actually opened. 1836

Bug fix: Failure when primary SSH channel fails to open. 1837

Bug fix: SHA-1 fingerprint of TLS/SSL certificate was incorrectly presented as MD5 by Session.ScanFingerprint.

Bug fix: When dragging file via temporary directory it is deleted too early. 1844

Download: WinSCP 5.17.3 | 10.6 MB (Open Source)