I need a free FTP server, please help me find one

I agree with you hosting companies normally provide ftp or sftp or webdav or web gui as way of managing files on your host site. But the OP mad no mention of just free hosting site.

He only mentions being able to ftp 800MB file - not that this 800MB file would then be on some website mysite.tld etc.

Details of what exactly he believes he needs ftp for would go along way into helping us suggest solutions to what he is wanting to do. Most free webhosts are more than likely going to be a lot lower than 5GB of space?

If the files will ultimately be available via http, why does he need ftp as method up uploading them - why does the current cloud solutions not work?

Need details of the cat if you want actual help in finding the best skinning method!

edit: Guth makes a good point, it could be just a spamming method for this crap site he says he is going with.

You made valid points but the OP is trying to pull the users to his site for his services or site hits.

The files can be download from either ftp or http depends on site owner's decision.

Budman, not everyone use the cloud services, you know.

https://twitter.com/powr_host doesn't seem to have anything about portugal about it, and the domain is registered to someone in UK. Report it with evidence if you have it, I just don't see it.

https://twitter.com/powr_host/followers

https://twitter.com/powr_host/following

Just random portugal related followers and following...

"Budman, not everyone use the cloud services, you know."

And where did I say they did?? Just trying to understand why someone thinks they need FTP for FREE to some host to do what with? What is the reason for FTP access?

If what you wanted was a web host why not state that? Why is ftp even brought up - if what you want to do is create a website then what your looking for is webhost for free. If what your looking to do is share or store files, then cloud comes to mind.

He only mentions FTP host, and then what he links to is not even that - its a webhost. Well what 95% of every webhost on the planet would allow for ftp access I would think. Plus other methods of putting files there. So why not say that is what you needed.

I am looking for the details of why the only way to skin this cat is ftp?? I am having a hard time coming up with a reason that might be needed - I can not think of one reason where I would have to have FTP. what am I after sharing files, storing files - website with files on it?

I am think more and more that this is just some attempted spam method of drawing attention to that site.

Maybe a mod should just delete the whole thread?

user with less than 10 posts, asks for ridiculous requirements for free, then miraculously finds a host that suits his needs perfectly!

Sounds like a bad attempt at advertising to me

inb4 powrhost is OP's crappy site

That was also my first thought.

And where did I say they did?? Just trying to understand why someone thinks they need FTP for FREE to some host to do what with? What is the reason for FTP access?

If what you wanted was a web host why not state that? Why is ftp even brought up - if what you want to do is create a website then what your looking for is webhost for free. If what your looking to do is share or store files, then cloud comes to mind.

He only mentions FTP host, and then what he links to is not even that - its a webhost. Well what 95% of every webhost on the planet would allow for ftp access I would think. Plus other methods of putting files there. So why not say that is what you needed.

I am looking for the details of why the only way to skin this cat is ftp?? I am having a hard time coming up with a reason that might be needed - I can not think of one reason where I would have to have FTP. what am I after sharing files, storing files - website with files on it?

I am think more and more that this is just some attempted spam method of drawing attention to that site.

Your quote:

If the files will ultimately be available via http, why does he need ftp as method up uploading them - why does the current cloud solutions not work?

I am not interested in cloud services for my files but I use small cloud service for phones. That's all I need.

Anyway, about FTP method:

Like I said before, it is totally up to site owners to use either HTTP or FTP for their files so their visitors can download software(s)...

For example, check Mozilla's FTP site at: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org ... as you see Mozilla's decision to use it for public so the visitors can look around and download something from there.

I have my own host but I disabled FTP. So I use other method to publish my site. If I am interested to open FTP up and let the users to download, so I could open it up and place the files in it. So I disabled it since I don't have any files for anyone to download. I used to be a programmer back in 90's.

If they want a FREE FTP, they can use FileZilla server or similar for that. Simple. Then they can use a client to download files.

I am sure there are free FTP hosts but I am sure that a very few people/companies use FTP method... Not much space these days since cloud providers provide better services with huge amount of space available for the users. Such as Mega, Dropbox, Skydrive, etc.

I know that you don't understand why OP needed FTP but the users on this topic said that OP is probably a spammer. And I explained to you as why FTP is needed... It is up to site owners that users are able to use FTP instead for the files like Mozilla's method.

Some people stuck in old days and stay with FTP method. Just like you do not want a smartphone, and you stay with a flip phone such as RAZR. Understand what I am saying?

Take a step back sir, it's a clear attempt at spam... and FTP is certainly not dead in the web hosting space, not by a long shot.

If this is spam: why would someone take the time to setup some hosting, create a website, then spam around the internet for absolutely NOTHING in return.. it even says no ads so it's probably not being monetized in anyway.. strange.

If its not dead it should be -- I don't ftp to my webhost, I use SFTP.. Its not sending my username and password in cleartext for starters. If you have ssh access, which is also a must for any good webhost then sftp would be available.

Some of you think I was saying that you should never ever use ftp -- your not understanding what I am asking.. The wording of the post is bad.. If your wanting to spam webhost site a or even just looking for one.. Why all the nonsense about ftp in the first place?

Yes people I clearly understand that ftp is still an option, and still used - but my questions are to why someone would "REQUIRE" it when just looking for a webhost? Or wanting to store/share files? It makes no sense the way the OP asked his question.. Which clearly now is just a lame spam attempt anyway.

• Like 3

Ok ok, I get it! Cloud it's the way to go just got a 55Gb in Dropbox, don't know how but I'm glad I did.

For all the people that think that I'm advertising something, guess what? You're wrong!!

Well my question was very dumb and silly, still i thought people in here would be more respectful (not to everyone), why in the world would i spam about a damn site?!

This was not a spam attempt! I'm sorry and ashamed both for my ignorance/question and for all the negative feedback i got just for being a noob!

why in the world would i spam about a damn site?!

my friend, you'd be surprised. it's not the first time some has come to do just that and probably won't be the last.

it's made us a little cautious, sorry if we've misjudged you do to the cautiousness

Ok, i understand, it was a bad way to start in here.

Hope things will get better and the others members don't misjudge me...

And can you answer the question to WHY you felt that you needed FTP? This is the part that has my curiosity up..

Asking for help is not dumb or silly - and not understanding even what your asking for, again not dumb or silly. But not providing some info on what your wanting to do when you don't really know, then that is where you run into issues.

You stated you didn't want cloud - but needed FTP, but give no insight to the reasons behind this decision, etc. So it is difficult to help.

Then you point to a webhost, which is not what you asked for - and now you say you have a 55GB dropbox which before you stated you didn't want cloud? How did you get that btw? Did you use the HTC/Samsung promotion for 50GB? Something else - that maybe fellow neowiners could take advantage of?

What exactly are you wanting to do with these 800MB+ files? Share them, Store Them? If you would of given some insight to what you were wanting to accomplish with these large files - then this whole thread would of taken a different direction for sure.

And can you answer the question to WHY you felt that you needed FTP? This is the part that has my curiosity up..

Asking for help is not dumb or silly - and not understanding even what your asking for, again not dumb or silly. But not providing some info on what your wanting to do when you don't really know, then that is where you run into issues.

You stated you didn't want cloud - but needed FTP, but give no insight to the reasons behind this decision, etc. So it is difficult to help.

Then you point to a webhost, which is not what you asked for - and now you say you have a 55GB dropbox which before you stated you didn't want cloud? How did you get that btw? Did you use the HTC/Samsung promotion for 50GB? Something else - that maybe fellow neowiners could take advantage of?

What exactly are you wanting to do with these 800MB+ files? Share them, Store Them? If you would of given some insight to what you were wanting to accomplish with these large files - then this whole thread would of taken a different direction for sure.

1 - I had i friend how pointed me the wrong direction telling that cloud will fail to upload and download over low speeds (which i have low speed access)

2 & 3 - I planned on using a ftp client to do the ups/downs over night with hoping i could resume if it failed...

4 - Once again pointed out by a friend, now I see my mistake... (i do have a GS3 and i guess that was it, thanks for telling :D )

5 - Its mostly backups of roms, large rar's with photos, and some personal files

Sorry for misleading you guys.

you make a good point, I always like to use FTP because with my crappy internet speed. i can always resume it if it fails.

also, like I said earlier, sorry for the false accusation but it did look fishy :)

"that cloud will fail to upload and download over low speeds"

Your friend is mistaken for sure - One of the major points to the cloud services is that they can take as long as needed to get the files into the cloud using min amounts of bandwidth if so required/desired. Every client i have played with even allows you to limit the speed down to very very low speeds. Now the new googledrive doesn't have it "yet" but they are suppose to add it from what I hear.

examples

post-14624-0-60505400-1358977970.jpgpost-14624-0-40280800-1358977986.jpg

Yes ftp can support resume - does not mean the specific ftp server your sending to does or has it enabled. So while it can be used sometimes if loss of connection. Does not mean its always available.

Glad you got what you needed sorted. Since you stated

"backups of roms, large rar's with photos, and some personal files"

This makes cloud solution a better option, because they can be setup to auto send the files as they change or added to a folder, etc. While FTP would have to be manually kicked off, or wold have to be used with a script - some clients do support a sync folder feature. But I doubt they would auto resume on a failure of connection, etc. Not sure if sort of features would be available in a free client either? While a cloud sync app would continue its sync after your connection was back, etc.

If you would of mentioned the backup thing from the getgo we could of had a much more rewarding thread about the best options why ftp not suited, or why specific cloud services might not be suited. For example the new mega.co.nz which gives 50GB is great for sure - but it does not have a client that does stuff in the background as of yet. So you have to do everything using a browser to upload, etc.

As brought up in other threads, if the FREE storage given buy cloud services is not enough for your needs - there is nothing saying you can use them ALL ;) And breakup your files between them to leverage the max amount of free space, etc.

If you would of brought up backup from the start, we could of discussed rysnc as another option to any webhost.. Maybe your new powrhost does? This is great in that can only send the diff in the files.

Which is another plus to some of the cloud services. Say you have a rar 800MB backup.rar for example -- now with cloud services say you add some stuff to this rar and its now 801MB. The cloud service only has to send the "diff" 1MB to the file not the whole 800MB again. Which if your on limited bandwidth this can be a game changer!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/help/8/en

Does Dropbox always upload/download the entire file any time a change is made?

Also in that article you will notice that it compresses before sending, so this also saves bandwidth, another something ftp may or may not do depending on server an client (mode Z) on the fly compression.

Sure hope some of the comments, maybe even mine in this thread does not throw you off neowin. There can be a lot of great help gotten here, and lots of great tech discussions/debates, etc. etc.

edit: BTW if you using dropbox, make sure you take a look on the site on ways to get more free space. I currently have 71.4GB of space. Referrals, Quests, Testing of beta features, the Samsung promotion, etc. And I have not even used all my referrals yet ;)

• Like 3

+BudMan

You're my hero mate! Thanks! Really thanks, this is for sure the best info i've gotten in this kind of services.

+BudMan

You're my hero mate! Thanks! Really thanks, this is for sure the best info i've gotten in this kind of services.

budman is our resident genuis xD He has helped me out a load of times too and explains stuff really well

glad you got it sorted.

• Like 2

Ya know, it's actually funny how the OP's grasp of the English language changes so much between the first post and the last one. It went from uber-rushed broken English into full-length, college-educated, grammatically correct sentences describing (defending) their intentions. Ha.

Ya know, it's actually funny how the OP's grasp of the English language changes so much between the first post and the last one. It went from uber-rushed broken English into full-length, college-educated, grammatically correct sentences describing (defending) their intentions. Ha.

We have very forgiving members, this was spam plain and simple.

We have very forgiving members, this was spam plain and simple.

I agree too and that's why I called it out. However, since OP has actually stayed and not left after the post then i guess its now a plug rather than spam :laugh:

FTP Server? You can buy a webhosting.

It's not all that obvious. Many web hosts don't allow using their servers for data storage-only purposes.

Glassed Silver:mac

It's not all that obvious. Many web hosts don't allow using their servers for data storage-only purposes.

you do realize that one is actually a spam bot right?

the sig is a dead giveaway

you do realize that one is actually a spam bot right?

the sig is a dead giveaway

Oh boy... facepalm to myself. :D