Audi's automatic driving for parking

Cool concept. I have park assist in my BMW which does parallel parking - nice gizmo but completely pointless as I park way faster... This really takes it to the next level, but I don't think it's as practical as the marketing vid makes it appear. Consider this.

1. I have to ID to a reader for the barrier to lift - guess the car would just sit there.

2. Often I need to back up and let incoming traffic go - wonder what the car would do? Just wait there? :) Pretty good way to lose my next promotion fast.

3. Some of the parking areas in my garage are offlimits - reserved, temporarily not available, etc. guess the car wouldn't be smart enough to figure this out

4. Would it be smart enough to look for free space on the next level I wonder?

5. Is obstacle detection 360?

Etc. Admittedly I watched the video w/o audio so maybe that's addressed but I wouldn't use such a system. Again, nice idea and nice video.

yeah, that was my first thought too actually... why didn't the car just stop randomly in the road and think "oh this is a roomy space" :D

I was wondering why it didn't do that. The place she got out of the car could have been an ideal spot for a computer. How did the car know which lane to leave the Carpark in, why didn't it try to drive out of the entrance?

What car is available to mass consumers that can park itself and then can magically drive itself to pick you up at the door? NOTHING. Yes, there are self-driving cars (like Google's), but they are not available to the consumers. You're talking two very different things.

I don't know how I feel about this. More electronics = more things to fail. I can also see some security issues...

I was talking about controller systems (computer or mobile) in the cars... Right now, Ford and few others have auto parking.... while Audi self-drive from door to the garage then park itself....

The controller systems in all cars are basically same...

Like I said, in the near future, more brands will have the controlling systems.

They are in the testing stage before they release the auto drive vehicles to the public in the future... maybe 5 or 10 years. Which is why they are making sure there are no flaws in the systems.

err did you even watch the video, no car currently does this...

i'd like to see how that project goes for you :)

Have you seen any TV show that they put radio controlling stuff in the car and they control the car with their controller about 10-15 years ago? I did mine while back. And have you seen anyone who make some changes with their own mods..

New cars such as Ford, that they have auto parking system, I can check it out and see if I can make some changes then test it out on the empty lot for fun but, I don't want that controlling crap in my primary car on the road. I prefer to drive myself either short or long trips.

People prefer to make some changes to their stuff such they mods their PC, and tweaked firmware for their PS3, etc. you know? As you see they like after market stuff better than those factory-made stuff.

I like to do something and see how it goes such as after market mods... Making some changes to the consoles, PC, etc.

There are smart people on the earth that make some changes to their stuff for better than the factory stuff.

I was wondering why it didn't do that. The place she got out of the car could have been an ideal spot for a computer. How did the car know which lane to leave the Carpark in, why didn't it try to drive out of the entrance?

because as i said, its hyperbole. There is no way that ad is how it works, a car doesn't know whats a good space and what isnt. it could stop on double yellow lines (no parking) it could stop on single yellows, disabled spots etc etc.

The human has to be there and tell it where to park then I believe it parks itself (as I have seen)

I am just not believing it works as shown.