is there some kind of GUI builder for C++

Question

7 answers to this question

You can use visual C++. Or use the QT Library with a program such as QTCreator. Those will both do what you want.

is QT like vb u can drag command buttons in?

I second firey's suggestion for Qt. However, if you're only interested in Windows development, its not the only option: SmartWin++ is a small but powerful C++ wrapper on top of the WIN32 API. (Writing a GUI directly using the WIN32 API is not a fun experience.) There is also a GUI editor for the toolkit called SallyIDE.

So long as you are designing your GUI using Qt Creator, it is. Unlike SallyIDE - which fairly featureless except for the WYSIWYG GUI editor - Qt Creator is actually a pretty good IDE all-around IMHO.

It can be. There is even a version that integrates with Visual Studio, but I am not honestly sure if you need the full version of Visual Studio, or if the Express version will work.

In Qt Creator, goto File->New File or Project...->Files and Classes->Qt->Qt Designer Form Class. That will add an graphically editable interface with an accompanying class that you can implement.

If you're serious about learning Qt, you should probably consider reading a good tutorial or book on the subject. While Qt is fairly easy to understand and use, there is no substitute for a solid, conceptual understanding of how it works. I recommend C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (Second Edition), although if you want a complete list of what's available check the Qt Project's Books page.

How well do you know C++? All GUI toolkits require pretty decent knowledge of C++ before you can jump in and make an app even if they do support RAD (drag & drop development) like VB.