Wireless Repeater Setup Help

I've bought an Edimax BR-6226n and I've been trying to set it up as a wireless repeater, but it just won't have it. My main router is the Sky Hub (don't know if this causes a problem or not) and I've been following this guide but it still just won't connect at all.

Is there anything here that I should alter or I should know? I really don't understand why it isn't working. I've tried WISP mode too but even that doesn't work!

Thanks for any help at all :)

Main things you need to do is

1. Disable DHCP on the 2nd router/AP

2. Set the 2nd router/APs IP address onto the same range as the network / 1st router

ie. Main router = 192.168.1.1

2nd router/AP = 192.168.1.2

Last digit can be anything in that range so long as they are different from each other / any static IPs on the network

EDIT - I misread the thread title as wireless router, the above is still true iirc but needs some extra tweaks to match SSIDs and Encryption

Main things you need to do is

1. Disable DHCP on the 2nd router/AP

2. Set the 2nd router/APs IP address onto the same range as the network / 1st router

ie. Main router = 192.168.1.1

2nd router/AP = 192.168.1.2

Last digit can be anything in that range so long as they are different from each other / any static IPs on the network

EDIT - I misread the thread title as wireless router, the above is still true iirc but needs some extra tweaks to match SSIDs and Encryption

Yeah, I set the other router to use 192.168.0.100 (main router is 192.168.0.1) but it still didn't work. I also disabled DHCP as it said in the guide I posted but still no luck.

I'm going to reset it to factory settings and try setting it up again.

Yeah, I set the other router to use 192.168.0.100 (main router is 192.168.0.1) but it still didn't work. I also disabled DHCP as it said in the guide I posted but still no luck.

I'm going to reset it to factory settings and try setting it up again.

Budman should be able to help you, I can't find the post atm but he posted a detailed image of how to set it up

I do remember something about disabling the encryption until you have it working, and I think there is still certain types of encryption you can't use in repeater mode

Budman should be able to help you, I can't find the post atm but he posted a detailed image of how to set it up

I do remember something about disabling the encryption until you have it working, and I think there is still certain types of encryption you can't use in repeater mode

I would love to see this thread myself with the detailed image. I purchased a (what could be either an AP or) repeater a while back, and never got it to work properly. So am interested myself.

I would love to see this thread myself with the detailed image. I purchased a (what could be either an AP or) repeater a while back, and never got it to work properly. So am interested myself.

I've hunted a few threads but can't find it, if you are bored / interested enough, you could click Budmans posts and see if you can find it :p

If I find it I`ll post it here, from what I can remember, its been posted a few times by him, and the last I can remember was about 3~ months back, and was an image/diagram and a link to a tutorial iirc

There are have been many repeater threads over the years.. I don't recall any with that specific router though -- ddwrt sure

The image your prob talking about is this one - this is a repeater bridge setup

Repeater_Bridge.jpg

So where in the process are you failing? Do you see the your first routers wireless using site survey? What modes are you working with G, G+N, etc. What channel are you on, what encryption are you using. As stated don't use any encryption when first setting this up! And you might have problems with wpa2??

I do believe there is some confusion on the term universal repeater and bridged repeater. dd-wrt had a universal repeater setup -- but it was more like a wisp setup. Connected to your wireless network as client, and then had its own virtual wireless network with its own ip range running its own dhcp server, etc.

A universal repeater would normally just rebroadcast the any wireless networks it sees in the area. You can buy those - range expanders, etc. So its a bit confusing when the manual for this router calls it universal repeater. Maybe it suppose to say client bridge mode?

Doesn't look like you can put dd-wrt on that router. I doubt the sky hub supports WDS or point to point bridging, etc. I would go with the universal mode.. When you do the site survey and see your router and pick it is it running security, does it ask you for the info? If not turn off security and try it.

There are have been many repeater threads over the years.. I don't recall any with that specific router though -- ddwrt sure

The image your prob talking about is this one - this is a repeater bridge setup

Repeater_Bridge.jpg

That's the image I remember thanks

So where in the process are you failing? Do you see the your first routers wireless using site survey? What modes are you working with G, G+N, etc. What channel are you on, what encryption are you using. As stated don't use any encryption when first setting this up! And you might have problems with wpa2??

I do believe there is some confusion on the term universal repeater and bridged repeater. dd-wrt had a universal repeater setup -- but it was more like a wisp setup. Connected to your wireless network as client, and then had its own virtual wireless network with its own ip range running its own dhcp server, etc.

A universal repeater would normally just rebroadcast the any wireless networks it sees in the area. You can buy those - range expanders, etc. So its a bit confusing when the manual for this router calls it universal repeater. Maybe it suppose to say client bridge mode?

Doesn't look like you can put dd-wrt on that router. I doubt the sky hub supports WDS or point to point bridging, etc. I would go with the universal mode.. When you do the site survey and see your router and pick it is it running security, does it ask you for the info? If not turn off security and try it.

I've tried it with no security, still not working. It's picking up the router in the Site Survey, but it doesn't do anything more. I've set my Sky Hub to only use IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.99 and set the router to 192.168.0.190 as the IP and DHCP range of 192.168.0.200 -> 192.168.0.254, but it still doesn't work. No Internet connection through it at all or network access. I'm getting quite frustrated because Windows keeps disconnecting from it as well.

I've also set it to the same SSID, which didn't work, neither did different...I've followed the steps to a tee but it just doesn't work :/

To be honest I don't think those directions are good in the first place - calling it a universal repeater sounds like wrong mode to me.

Just get yourself a router that will run dd-wrt and then you can just setup a client bridge repeater and be good to go.

To be honest I don't think those directions are good in the first place - calling it a universal repeater sounds like wrong mode to me.

Just get yourself a router that will run dd-wrt and then you can just setup a client bridge repeater and be good to go.

Ugh...this is annoying, I don't want to just have a router lying here I can't use.

Does it have anything to do with this Sky Hub? Does that need to be changed? Because in Sky's T&C's they say only to use the Sky Hub, and I don't really want to go against them right now seeing as I've just changed to them and they're still configuring my line.

Ugh...this is annoying, I don't want to just have a router lying here I can't use.

Does it have anything to do with this Sky Hub? Does that need to be changed? Because in Sky's T&C's they say only to use the Sky Hub, and I don't really want to go against them right now seeing as I've just changed to them and they're still configuring my line.

Sky are a whiny ISP, there is a site you can extract the sky username and password from the router and then use a different router, most people do, their routers are fairly crap, as are most ISP routers

I would wait until the 10 day line test is finished though or you'll end up with maybe a lesser sync rate than you would letting it finish

If you are repeating a dual band BOTH BANDS MUST HAVE 70% OR GREATER SIG STR.

Also there are some "residential gateways" from some ISPs that have trouble communicating with an extended SSID and thus, are not compatible with range extenders.

2wire has this problem big time.

I've just seen on the Sky Hub settings pages that I could put the router in ADSL mode, which would mean that I could plug in my Netgear WNR3500 into it or use my Netgear DG834G to make it work better? Is this a viable option?

da34eddb53e487a42503181e619facb2.png