New Build Will Not Post

hi

i built a new computer and put it place today and hooked everything up and turned it on and it will not post. i get the bios screen and then nothing just sits there. i unplugged it and took to my bench where it was assembled and it fired right up. runs like a top and did so for maybe 36hours before i moved it. i updated 7 and did scans and defrags and turned it on and off many times before moving it.

so on the bench it has a ps2 mouse and a usb keyboard and an old monitor. thats it. not the case in its work area.

in the work area i have new connected to box:

external siig usb/card reader connected by usb

27' planar monitor connected by hdmi

keyboard, mouse, wired, by usb

usb connection to the surge protector

usb connected inkjet printer

the usb scanner never got hooked up.

build is:

ga-z77x-d3h board

intel i7 3.5

gskill f3-1600c9d x2 x8g

pc power 600w supply modular

2 hd

external usb floppy

when i ordered i had another supply selected maybe it was 750, out of stock and so i took the alternate. is it possible the usbs are sucking the power and preventing post? the usbs in use sit on the board

any educated guesses?

Try booting it up with just the mouse, keyboard, and monitor connected. If that works, then add each device one by one. Sometimes, there's an issue with booting up while a USB device is connected. It used to happen to me years ago with Windows XP. I have to unplug a USB device (usually a thumb drive) and plug it in after I boot to the desktop.

Try booting it up with just the mouse, keyboard, and monitor connected. If that works, then add each device one by one. Sometimes, there's an issue with booting up while a USB device is connected. It used to happen to me years ago with Windows XP. I have to unplug a USB device (usually a thumb drive) and plug it in after I boot to the desktop.

Yes because the USB is on the bus

Either,

A: Remove the usb devices and try again.

B: plug in the USB devices when plugging into the test environment.

you are spot on with the trouble shooting steps. i described the problem and asked about the underlying cause. if it is really the lack of power or a bad supply on this new box i will change it out. the supply is modular and i never wanted one of those it just sounded like trouble and some how i bought one.

i am not lazy but the effort to eliminate and replicate is greater than supply replacement if that was a weighted possibility and then the trouble shooting would be required. it just feels like a power issue. on my bench it boots, move it and plug everything up and bam... trouble.

thank you for the replies

Nothing wrong with modular supplies.

90%+ of the top end power supplies are modular and work perfectly.

It's useful just to get rid of the cable clutter >.<

Also, the trouble shooting steps seem easy enough O.o I'd just run them. First thing that came to my mind was a USB conflict.

i am not lazy but the effort to eliminate and replicate is greater than supply replacement if that was a weighted possibility and then the trouble shooting would be required. it just feels like a power issue. on my bench it boots, move it and plug everything up and bam... trouble.

thank you for the replies

Nobody can tell you how to spend your money lol

The best advice here is to unplug everything except the power cord and monitor. See if it boots, and if it does, progressively plug things in until it doesn't boot. Then you'll have the culprit. More than likely it's something USB that's holding everything up. You could go into BIOS and mess with the boot settings if you want.

Of if you can get into BIOS, check the voltages levels. If any of them are off by a decent margin, then yeah it's your power supply. If they all match, then your power supply is fine.

Let us know if that works or not.

i will just follow up to close this out. i wanted to be sure that the power supply was adequate and not causing the issue, but before i went to that trouble i tested the new hdmi cable and the new keyboard the very basic stuff and it was the new keyboard. i have worked with computers for years and never had a usb keyboard stop boot. computer is a nice build that should love me long time. so i will exchange keyboard for new one. so thanks for your replies.