My Linux Based Questions

+longgonebn

Hey,

So I thought since I have been posting quite a few threads lately, and it will probably continue, that I would create a single thread for all my questions.

First question to start the thread off is this...

So I just wiped my drive. I opened up Gparted and deleted and formated the drive. I then installed Ubuntu onto it, booted into the system, and did some updates. I just randomly checked the Trash and there was a file in it that I deleted before I wiped my system.

How is that possible? Now I know most of my other drives have lost+found folders, and I think one might have had one called Trashed. Do they some how hold that information?

tim_s

Can you tell us what options you went through using GParted?

+longgonebn

I selected the drive, right click delete (all three partitions, swap etc)

Then Right Click New, created the partition, and that was it. I didn't do another format because I assumed deleting a partition does the same thing.

+longgonebn

Already have some more questions.

What is the best way to un-install programs? Through the Software Centre, Synaptic....or something else?

Also, the best/favorite themes for Ubuntu 12.04 Unity?

Xahid

lost+found is the folder like recycle bin in Windows it holds the information about the lost files, but since you format (during installation ?), so its weird that it hold the previous information.

Software center is based on Synaptic manager, so both are same for installing/uninstalling programs.

As for as themes, I think it depends on your own taste :)

+longgonebn

Well seems weird yes, but everything else is fine. So I dunno lol

Well on my previous install I remember uninstalling LibreOffice with Software Centre, then later looking for it in Synaptic and it still having parts of it installed.

Yes I know it comes down to taste, but I have only found mediterranean Night as one I like, would love to see more that people like to see whats out there.

tim_s

I selected the drive, right click delete (all three partitions, swap etc)

Then Right Click New, created the partition, and that was it. I didn't do another format because I assumed deleting a partition does the same thing.

What is odd is that had you installed Ubuntu over the newly created partition scheme - this process would have been done twice.

Did you bring anything over from a previous installation?

ajcdotme

Well seems weird yes, but everything else is fine. So I dunno lol

Well on my previous install I remember uninstalling LibreOffice with Software Centre, then later looking for it in Synaptic and it still having parts of it installed.

Yes I know it comes down to taste, but I have only found mediterranean Night as one I like, would love to see more that people like to see whats out there.

Open terminal and run

sudo apt-get autoremove
[/CODE]

This'll clean up any installed packages that are no longer needed.

[CODE]
sudo apt-get clean
[/CODE]

And this'll clean up the temp mess left behind.

+longgonebn

What is odd is that had you installed Ubuntu over the newly created partition scheme - this process would have been done twice.

Did you bring anything over from a previous installation?

No, I have the main drive which was wiped and have Ubuntu installed, then I have 4 other drives with media on it.

Open terminal and run

sudo apt-get autoremove
[/CODE]

This'll clean up any installed packages that are no longer needed.

[CODE]
sudo apt-get clean
[/CODE]

And this'll clean up the temp mess left behind.

Thanks, I will use that.

If I go and try to remove something and get this message. Is it safe to uninstall the application?

post-21166-0-76315300-1359214207.png

Karl L.

If I go and try to remove something and get this message. Is it safe to uninstall the application?

I can understand how the "ubuntu-desktop" package looks a little intimidating to uninstall. However, it won't actually affect your system in any practical way. It is merely a meta-package that installs nothing by itself but depends on other packages in the repository. That way, if you choose to install "ubuntu-desktop", every package that is included in your release of Ubuntu by default will be installed. If you uninstall it, the packages it depends on will still be installed unless you explicitly choose to remove them. Software Center is probably telling you to remove it because you selected to remove an application it depends on. That's OK. Remove it.

+longgonebn

Thanks, I figured it would be safe but thought I'd check lol

I'm getting a bit crazy with questions, but seems I am getting more attention here then on the Ubuntu forums at the moment so...

What about a good screensaver? I have been using Electric Sheep for awhile now, the best I could ever find on any OS, but maybe there are some I have missed. Suggestions?

And no one really answered my themes question..I know it's opinion, that's why I come here :)

Karl L.

My screensaver is a black screen. The days when burn-in was a serious concern for most users have long past. Since I'm not at my computer to see the screensaver anyway, there's no point in choosing one. Of course, that's just my preference. I realize that many people still like to have a nice screensaver.

+longgonebn

Yea, burn-in is not my concern. I just enjoy a good screensaver and do see it most of the time.

I went and installed the the extras for xscreensaver and there is actually a quite nice matrix screensaver part of it. Going to use that for now.

+longgonebn

So I came across a new problem today.

I thought it was related to Steam but I just tried another file and have the same issue.

Trying to install applications with .deb files and the Software Centre is giving me an error.

NOT FOUND

There isn?t a software package called ?file:? in your current software sources.

I dunno what I did, I already installed a few programs this way without issue.

Ideas?

redvamp128

I thought it was related to Steam but I just tried another file and have the same issue.

Trying to install applications with .deb files and the Software Centre is giving me an error.

NOT FOUND

Ideas?

I know sometimes when I get a 3rd part source- I have to right click on it and choose properties... then select the ... allow execution. Then the file will install. Only happened to me a few times.

also you could try after that the cmd line-

sudo apt-get update

Then check the file- also you could try:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and

sudo apt-get install -f

+longgonebn

I have tried the "allow execution" with no luck.

This is the first time ever having this problem. I think there is something more going on though. Maybe something I accidentally removed from my system?

Brandon H

No, I have the main drive which was wiped and have Ubuntu installed, then I have 4 other drives with media on it.

there's your answer most likely. in linux every drive has a recycle bin. so the file in your recycle bin that you are seeing is most likely from one of the other four drives you have plugged in

+longgonebn

there's your answer most likely. in linux every drive has a recycle bin. so the file in your recycle bin that you are seeing is most likely from one of the other four drives you have plugged in

Thanks, I figured that was the case, a logical explanation, just wanted to hear someone say it.

Brandon H

Thanks, I figured that was the case, a logical explanation, just wanted to hear someone say it.

yeah, windows does this too to some extent, with external hard-drives at least. but Unix does it with every storage device, whether it be hard-drive or flash-drive or SD card
+longgonebn

NOT FOUND

Ideas?

Just quoting the question since conversation happened after it.

Yes I have tried "allow execution" in the menu options without luck.

I think it's something I might have removed from my system, because installing from .deb was working before.

tim_s

Was "the file" that was added to the trash bin from the external media?

+longgonebn

Yes, thought that was clear.

Now please move onto my latest question.

ViperAFK

NOT FOUND

Ideas?

Thats very strange, I've never seen that issue before, I'm always able to install .debs fine by double clicking them. Only thing I can find on that error is this bug report which says its been fixed already: https://bugs.launchp...ter/+bug/752376

You could try the commandline to install it: sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb

You can also try using the gdebi package installer as an alternative to software-center for installing debs with a gui: sudo apt-get install gdebi, and then right click and open the .deb with gdebi.

EDIT: from the comments in the bug report you can also try the command: software-center debname.deb to open the deb in the software center.

+longgonebn

Well the .deb does open Software Centre, it's what gives the error.

And those might work, but I'd rather try and find a solution because it makes no sense.

ViperAFK

Well the .deb does open Software Centre, it's what gives the error.

And those might work, but I'd rather try and find a solution because it makes no sense.

When you double click the .deb I assume its from the file manager? What file manager are you using? It should definitely work with nautilus, but if you are using a different file manager its possible that the file manager is feeding the software-center with some URI that it doesn't understand (I've seen pcmanfm do this kind of thing before I think), although according to that bug report the file: URI should be supported by software-center :/