Options for Media Center

ajcdotme

Greetings,

I'm in the process of rebuilding our media playback network in the house to support our different rooms and requirements including our tablets, etc, and I find myself at pause with regard to a choice for the actual media center devices. I want these to be consistent throughout the house for ease of use (my kids are younger, I'd like to only have to show them one system).

We don't actually subscribe to cable or satellite, instead our content is archived dvds/blurays and streaming media services. In particular, we use netflix streaming. Which is, I guess, where my issue is.

We've used an xbox 360 as the media center in our family room for quite some time. Unfortunately, I'm not very happy with its support for smaller media formats, although netflix on the xbox is a dream.

I've used Windows MCE since it first came out and I'm disappointed at the lack of "growth" i've seen on that front. However, with netflix requiring silverlight, how many other native options are out there?

A little more about the setup:

Content is stored and controlled on a central server running Ubuntu. This is a non-negotiable as my dev boxes for work run on kvm on this box as well.

We have a pair of ipads and an android tablet, all of which are used to watch content (mostly by the kids).

There's a pc with a touchscreen in the kitchen for recipes and such in the kitchen... it's wireless and is used at times to watch tv on as well.

The family room and the kids bedrooms have small pc's in them connected to the tvs for content playback.

I'm fine with a technical solution... it doesn't really have to be "easy" to deploy... but it DOES have to be easy to use once deployed and MUST support playback of content over the network AND netflix.

I've already looked over xbmc and it does not appear to support netflix. Plex doesn't look promising either.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Kodi 18.8
      by Razvan Serea

Kodi (formerly known as XBMC), is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs (Home theater PCs). Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a hard-drive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.

Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive. Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with boxcovers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.

Download: Kodi 18.8 (32-bit) | 58.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Kodi 18.8 (64-bit) | 60.2 MB
      Download: Windows Store
      Links: Kodi Home Page | Kodi for Android

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Kodi 18.7
      by Razvan Serea

Kodi (formerly known as XBMC), is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs (Home theater PCs). Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a hard-drive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.

Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive. Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with boxcovers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.

Download: Kodi 18.7 (32-bit) | 58.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Kodi 18.7 (64-bit) | 47.2 MB

• By Copernic
      Kodi 18.6
      by Razvan Serea

Download: Kodi 18.6 (32-bit) | 58.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Kodi 18.6 (64-bit) | 60.1 MB

• By Copernic
      Kodi 18.5
      by Razvan Serea

Download: Kodi 18.5 (32-bit) | 58.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Kodi 18.5 (64-bit) | 60.1 MB

• By Copernic
      MediaPortal 2.2.2 / 1.23.0
      by Razvan Serea

MediaPortal is a free and open source media center software, ideal for turning your PC into a very advanced multimedia center, or Home Theater PC, to view all your digital media in your living room. Do you want a Home Theatre with audio streaming throughout your home, a digital photo album to organize all your photos and webcam videos, access to web streams and information like weather, news, sports or Wikipedia, plus a super TiVo? With MediaPortal (MP) you can do all this and more, from the comfort of your sofa. It is the most feature rich Media Center software in the world today, and it's free!

Watch, schedule and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more, and for free! Play videos, movies, DVDs and Blu-ray discs Listen to music and radio Enjoy pictures, home videos or create a slideshow Stream media, radio and TV to any HTPC / PC connected to your network Use a remote to control your HTPC from your couch Check the weather, news, and more Access MediaPortal from the web or mobile device Highlights of this release:

TV/Radio

One-click deletion of grouped recordings: Grouped recordings in the TV recording folder, e.g. series, can now be deleted with one single click instead having to go manually through each individual entry. Radio recordings: You can now skip, pause and resume within a radio recording like in any TV recording Manual schedules: Manually added schedules will now appear in the list of scheduled recordings System

Client wake-up at 2:00: A bug that caused a client to wake up every night was fixed. Party Music Player: The party player is now capable of handling large playlists with more than 1000 entries Extensions

MediaPortal 2.2.2's functionality can be further extended through the installation of additional plugins. The choice of extensions, while currently limited, is steadily growing. Discover what else is available in our Featured Plugins section. Trakt

A new Trakt plugin has been developed with better sync and watched flags management, completely compatible with the new User Management system, allowing different trakt accounts for different users. The development of the plugin has been moved out from the standard Mediaportal 2 development. This will ease development and bug fixes. For details or manual, please refer to the related Wiki section. Webradio

Webradio allows you to play internet radio without having to leave your familiar MP2 user interface.The plugin comes with over 10000's online radio stations from all over the world. Create your own filter from Country, City and any more. Make your own favorites list. Moving from MP1 to MP2

Procedures to install MP2 in parallel to MP1 are described in the Wiki. For all those who would like to move from MP1 to MP2 and preserve their current media organisation, our forum member raffe has created a small tool that will extract information from your MP-TvSeries and MovingPictures databases and picture folders, The tool will leave all your original data untouched, create .nfo files for all your media and copy existing pictures from your MovingPictures and MP-TvSeries to your new MediaPortal 2 media folders. The .nfo files and pictures then allow a smooth and quick import of all your media info into MediaPortal 2. See thee respective forum thread for further details. Full list of changes

You can review all changes by taking a look at changelog: MediaPortal 2.2.2

Download: MediaPortal 2.2.2 | 141.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: MediaPortal 1.23 | 224.0 MB
      View: MediaPortal Homepage |Release Announcement