Woman Sues Match.com After Date Tries to Kill Her

LAS VEGAS (CBS Las Vegas/AP) ? An online dating service says a Las Vegas woman has no legal basis for her lawsuit seeking $10 million after she was matched with a man who hid in her garage and brutally attacked her.

Mary Kay Beckman filed suit in U.S. District Court on Friday accusing Match.com of failing to disclose dangers of online dating.

She said she?d known Wade Ridley only eight days when she broke up with him in September 2010. Four months later he stabbed her 10 times.

?There were 10 stab wounds, eight on my physical body, two on my head, and when the knife broke, there was stomping on my head,? Beckman told KLAS-TV. ??I shouldn?t even be here today.?

According to Courthouse News Service, Beckman has undergone surgeries to repair her jaw, preserve her eyesight and remove part of her skull to replace it with a ?synthetic component.?

Ridley later was charged with murdering a woman in Phoenix. He died in prison last year after killing himself.

Beckman?s lawyer says Match.com is ?absolutely not safe.?

?The basis of the lawsuit is the advertising that is utilized by Match.com, lulling women and men into a false sense of security,? attorney Marc Saggese told KLAS-TV.

Match.com said in a statement Monday that Beckman?s experience was horrible but the lawsuit is ?absurd.? It said Beckman was a victim of a ?sick, twisted? man with no known criminal record.

source

"He died in prison last year after killing himself."

Really? :rolleyes:

May I one up you with: "There were 10 stab wounds, eight on my physical body, two on my head" ...

So her head is apparently not physical? What else may we infer here? lol

May I one up you with: "There were 10 stab wounds, eight on my physical body, two on my head" ...

So her head is apparently not physical? What else may we infer here? lol

yeah, i noticed that too. what the hell????

Oh lord i dont think there is enough bubble wrap in the world for some of these people, does she not realize she could of met this very person anywhere and the same thing cold of happened then who's she going to sue? The place where they met buying groceries?

Next she will sue someone for calling her an idiot and say its affected her self confidence!

Well I can understand the frustration and trauma from something like that. I mean holy **** I can't imagine going through something like that. I really do feel bad for her. However I'm not sure you can really sue a company for this since they can't predict the future and is in the business of "matching people up". You are always putting yourself at risk meeting strangers, via online or other connections.

Terrible what happened to her...no doubt. Problem with today's world is that no one takes responsibility for their own action...it is always someone else's fault. Even if match.com did criminal background checks, Ridley would have slipped through since he didn't have a criminal history at the time he signed up.

Online dating is really no more or less dangerous then meeting someone at a bar, grocery store, etc. Life is risky and you have to be careful. She wasn't...she broke it off after only 8 days and yet she disclosed where she lived? As I said...terrible what happened to her but she really shouldn't just point the finger and all the blame at match.com for "not disclosing the risk of online dating".

• Like 2

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2117469813001/
[/CODE]

They might just settle to get her to shut up. Could really hurt business. Maybe bigger warning labels. The lady that sued McDonald's a few years ago for burning herself with hot coffee settled for 2.9 million WTF !

Really Maccys paid a woman for burning herself? Hang on two seconds...

*AAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!* Neowin im suing u i rolled my chair over my foot and then fell off when i sat back down! Expect to bea hearing from my lawyers or i'll settle for 5million pounds!

She said she?d known Wade Ridley only eight days when she broke up with him.

Maybe spending a few days to know someone before jumping into a relationship. Females are so crazy when it comes to not being alone.

Another day, another crazy lawsuit in America.

The sooner a complainant has to pay the defendant's legal costs when a case is dismissed, the better. That would stop a lot of the frivolous lawsuits.

Why was this ******* allowed to leave prison in the first place? That other woman could have been alive today :huh: .

What are you talking about? He was a guy with no criminal record, he never "left" prison because he was never there before!

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2117469813001/
[/CODE]

They might just settle to get her to shut up. Could really hurt business. Maybe bigger warning labels. The lady that sued McDonald's a few years ago for burning herself with hot coffee settled for 2.9 million WTF !

I'm pretty sure their business will be fine given they've just started advertising and making money off of "Stir", which is basically offline dating (aka dating).

Her injuries are horrific, and will no doubt need ongoing care. Without adequate insurance, victims funds or her attackers estate having enough funds, how else is she going to get money to look after herself. ,ight as well try pot luck on the US legal system which can end up in all kinds of verdicts. In any case, I wouldn't call her an idiot, it sounds like she has been through a lot with this, but she clearly isn't going to win a case aainst match.com

She should sue her ISP for providing the internet connection to match.com the manufacturer of her computer and the electric company as well. If she talked to the guy via telephone prior to the date at all, she should sue her cellular company and the manufacturer of the cell phone as well.