Just Finished a Wood Maul Handle

Gerowen

One of the things I pride myself in is trying to be as self sufficient as possible. I recently moved back to Kentucky. I needed a wood maul and found the rusted head of one in my dad's tool building, so instead of spending $30-$50 for a whole new tool, I took the old rusted head from his building, brought it home, put an edge on it, cut me a hickory limb and barked it and let it dry out, and made my own handle.

For those curious, my primary tools were a "Buck" pocket knife, a small camping hatchet, a hammer, and one rather thick zip tie. After I got all the soft outer layers off, I laid the limb off to the side in my living room for a couple of days to let it dry out before continuing, because if you start working it as soon as you cut it, it will end up being loose or too small because the wood will shrink a little bit as it dries up. I placed the head of the wood maul over the large end then with a permanent marker I reached in and drew an outline around the edge of the hole through it. I then held the head next to the handle and made a mark slightly greater than the total height of the head, as measured from the end of the handle, then attached a zip tie at that point. Then I just took my hatchet and hammer and began splitting the end of the handle I had previously marked and breaking the bits of wood off until I got to the mark I had made earlier from inside the hole in the head. The zip tie stops the wood from splitting all the way down the handle when I peel it off. Once I got it shaved down just barely small enough to go all the way through, I took some small wood shims, drove them in with a hammer and then broke off any excess sticking up, and then I took a nail and drove into the top end of the handle to spread it out against the inside of the wood maul head to prevent it from coming off.

Anyway, I'm kind of proud, I've made a couple of tool handles for myself, and it seems like every one I make looks a little better, and thought I'd share for anybody interested in these kinds of crafts.

post-125978-0-45143100-1359269226.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      FileOptimizer 14.50.2586
      by Razvan Serea

FileOptimizer is a lossless file size optimizer supporting AIR, APK, APNG APPX, BMP, CBZ, CHM, DOCX, DIB, DLL, EPUB, EXE, FAX, GIF, GZ, ICO, JAR, JPEG, LIB, MNG, MP3, MPP, OBJ, PNG, PPTX, ODT, OGG, OGV, PDF, PUB, SCR, SWF, TIF, VSD, WEBP, XAP, XLSX, and ZIP file formats among others.

It keeps the behavior of the file untouched, but with its size reduced thanks to several re-compression and optimization techniques.

Quick facts:

More than 90 third party tools integrated in one same tool (plugins). More than 400 file extensions supported, being the most complete tool available of this type. Smart detection of file types by analyzing its contents, no matter of what extension they have. Multilanguage (English, Spanish, French, German, Dutch and Russian). Simple program interface, Easy to use. Powerful automation via command-line. Enterprise deployment restrictions for current user and all users. Free and open source. FileOptimizer key features:

Suitable for home users that need to speedup file transfers no matter if they are in email attachments, P2P or shared upload servers. Suitable for webmasters to increase the page load speed. Suitable for web developers to reduce content weight. Suitable for desktop developers in any platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS, ...) to reduce distribution sizes and reduce load times. Suitable for mobile developers (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, ...) to reduce distribution sizes and reduce load times. Suitable for server administrators that could integrate FileOptimizer via command line. Suitable for content creators and distributors to reduce content weights. FileOptimizer 14.50.2586 changelog:

Added support for pingo when copy metadata is enabled (Devedse). Added support for webp lossless with pingo. Updated jpeg-archive to 2.2.0. Updated pingo to 0.99 rc3 (23) x64 version. Updated ImageMagick to 7.0.10.37 with HDRI support. Updated Ghostscript to 9.53.3. Updated mozjpeg to 4.0.1 RC2 build 20200929 x86 and x64 binaries Updated to mutool 1.18. Updated ffmpeg to 4.3.1. Updated to cppcheck 2.2. Some minor optimizations and code cleanup. Download: FileOptimizer 14.50.2586 | 87.8 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Portable FileOptimizer 14.50.2586 | 82.7 MB
      View: FileOptimizer Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.25
      by Razvan Serea

The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault. The Sysinternals Suite is a bundle of several Sysinternals Utilies like AccessChk, Autologon, Ctrl2Cap, DiskView, Disk Usage (DU), LogonSessions, PageDefrag, ProcessExplorer, PsLogList, PsPasswd, RegMon, RootkitRevealer, TCPView, VMMap, ZoomIt.

Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.25 changelog:

Sysmon v12.03 - This version of Sysmon fixes reporting and a possible crash condition for PipeEvent and RegistryEvent rules. SDelete v2.04 - This update to SDelete, a command line utility for secure file deletion, provides a new switch, -f, to to avoid file/directory versus drive ambiguity. WinObj v2.23 - This update to WinObj, a utility to explore the Windows NT Object Manager's namespace, brings bug fixes and is now available for x64 and ARM64. ARM64 ports - New ARM64 releases for ADRestore v1.2, LogonSessions v1.41 and WinObj v2.23. Download all ARM64 tools in a single download with the Sysinternals Suite for ARM64. Download: Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.25 | 37.6 MB (Freeware)
      Link: Sysinternals Suite Home Page

• By Copernic
      Glary Utilities 5.155.0.181
      by Razvan Serea

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

Glary Utilities allow you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software.

All Glary Utilities tools can be accessed through an eye-pleasing and totally simplistic interface.

Glary Utilities 5.155.0.181 changelog:

Optimized Disk Cleaner: added support for 'waterfox' and 'Icecream Video Editor'

Optimized Tracks Eraser: added support for 'waterfox' and 'Bandizip'

Optimized Registry Repair: added support for 'Applications Settings'

Minor GUI improvements

Minor bug fixes

Download: Glary Utilities 5.155.0.181 | 17.9 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Glary Utilities | 21.5 MB
      View: Glary Utilities Homepage

• By Copernic
      Glary Utilities 5.154.0.180
      by Razvan Serea

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

Glary Utilities allow you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software.

All Glary Utilities tools can be accessed through an eye-pleasing and totally simplistic interface.

Glary Utilities 5.154.0.180 changelog:

Optimized Disk Cleaner: added support for 'AVS Media Player' and 'Movavi Video Converter'

Optimized Tracks Eraser: added support for 'AVS Media Player' and 'Movavi Video Converter'

Optimized Tracks Eraser: optimized the scanning algorithm to improve user experience

Optimized Absolute Uninstaller: added support for 'Nova BACKUP'

Minor GUI improvements

Minor bug fixes

Download: Glary Utilities 5.154.0.180 | 17.9 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Glary Utilities | 21.5 MB
      View: Glary Utilities Homepage

• By Copernic
      Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.04
      by Razvan Serea

The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault. The Sysinternals Suite is a bundle of several Sysinternals Utilies like AccessChk, Autologon, Ctrl2Cap, DiskView, Disk Usage (DU), LogonSessions, PageDefrag, ProcessExplorer, PsLogList, PsPasswd, RegMon, RootkitRevealer, TCPView, VMMap, ZoomIt.

Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.04 changelog:

AD Explorer v1.50 - This release of AdExplorer, an Active Directory (AD) viewer and editor, adds support for exporting data from the "Compare" dialog and is now available for x64 and ARM64.

Disk Usage v1.62 - This release of Disk Usage (DU), a tool for viewing disk usage information, now also accounts for the MFT (Master File Table), removes the MAX_PATH limitation and is now available for ARM64.

VMMap v3.31 - This update to VMMap, a utility that reports the virtual memory layout of a process, fixes a Thread Environment Block bug on Windows 10 systems.

Sysmon v12.02 - This update to Sysmon fixes several configuration parsing bugs.

ARM64 ports - New ARM64 releases for AdExplorer v1.50 and DU v1.62. Download all ARM64 tools in a single download with the Sysinternals Suite for ARM64.

Download: Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.04 | 36.4 MB (Freeware)
      Link: Sysinternals Suite Home Page