Just Finished a Wood Maul Handle

Gerowen

One of the things I pride myself in is trying to be as self sufficient as possible. I recently moved back to Kentucky. I needed a wood maul and found the rusted head of one in my dad's tool building, so instead of spending $30-$50 for a whole new tool, I took the old rusted head from his building, brought it home, put an edge on it, cut me a hickory limb and barked it and let it dry out, and made my own handle.

For those curious, my primary tools were a "Buck" pocket knife, a small camping hatchet, a hammer, and one rather thick zip tie. After I got all the soft outer layers off, I laid the limb off to the side in my living room for a couple of days to let it dry out before continuing, because if you start working it as soon as you cut it, it will end up being loose or too small because the wood will shrink a little bit as it dries up. I placed the head of the wood maul over the large end then with a permanent marker I reached in and drew an outline around the edge of the hole through it. I then held the head next to the handle and made a mark slightly greater than the total height of the head, as measured from the end of the handle, then attached a zip tie at that point. Then I just took my hatchet and hammer and began splitting the end of the handle I had previously marked and breaking the bits of wood off until I got to the mark I had made earlier from inside the hole in the head. The zip tie stops the wood from splitting all the way down the handle when I peel it off. Once I got it shaved down just barely small enough to go all the way through, I took some small wood shims, drove them in with a hammer and then broke off any excess sticking up, and then I took a nail and drove into the top end of the handle to spread it out against the inside of the wood maul head to prevent it from coming off.

Anyway, I'm kind of proud, I've made a couple of tool handles for myself, and it seems like every one I make looks a little better, and thought I'd share for anybody interested in these kinds of crafts.

post-125978-0-45143100-1359269226.jpg

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Sysinternals Suite 2021.06.01
      by Razvan Serea

The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault. The Sysinternals Suite is a bundle of several Sysinternals Utilies like AccessChk, Autologon, Ctrl2Cap, DiskView, Disk Usage (DU), LogonSessions, PageDefrag, ProcessExplorer, PsLogList, PsPasswd, RegMon, RootkitRevealer, TCPView, VMMap, ZoomIt.

Changes in Sysinternals Suite 2021.06.01:

Process Monitor v3.82 - This update to Process Monitor fixes "go to event" from context menu and introduces some UI improvements for the dark theme. TCPView v4.12 - This update to TCPView fixes a bug where columns would be drawn twice. Process Explorer v16.42 - This update to Process Explorer fixes a bug with signature checks. Sysmon v13.21 - This update to Sysmon fixes a rare crash on process startup on x86 systems. Download: Sysinternals Suite 2021.06.01 | 40.8 MB (Freeware)
      Link: Sysinternals Suite Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Glary Utilities 5.167.0.193
      by Razvan Serea

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

Glary Utilities allow you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software.

All Glary Utilities tools can be accessed through an eye-pleasing and totally simplistic interface.

Glary Utilities 5.167.0.193 changelog:

Optimized Disk Cleaner: added support for 'Zoom Player FREE' and 'Soda PDF Desktop 12' Optimized Tracks Eraser: added support for 'Zoom Player FREE' and 'Soda PDF Desktop 12' Optimized Tracks Eraser: optimized the scanning and cleaning of cookies for 'Brave' Optimized Wipe Free Space: optimized the function process and enhance the user experience Optimized Boot Service: optimized the program boot time acquisition algorithm, and increased the accuracy rate by 15% Minor GUI improvements Minor bug fixes Download: Glary Utilities 5.167.0.193 | 18.7 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Glary Utilities | 22.5 MB
      View: Glary Utilities Homepage

• By Copernic
      GPU-Z 2.40.0
      by Razvan Serea

GPU-Z is a lightweight system utility designed to provide vital information about your video card and graphics processor. At launch, it automatically scans your system and reports the card name, GPU, release date and transistors, BIOS version, ROPs, memory type, and memory size.

Main Features:

Supports NVIDIA, AMD, ATI and Intel graphics devices Displays adapter, GPU and display information Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available) Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration Validation of results GPU-Z can create a backup of your graphics card BIOS No installation required, optional installer is available Support for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported) GPU-Z 2.40.0 changelog:

Added a detailed PCIe Resizable BAR report to Advanced Panel

Clicking the Resizable BAR status on main screen will open Advanced Panel, PCIe Resizable BAR report

On AMD, the RDNA2 marketing clocks report in Advanced Panel will now also show rated memory frequency

Added support for negative temperature monitoring on AMD

Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, RTX 3070 Ti, RTX 3080 LHR, RTX 3070 LHR, RTX 3060 Ti LHR, RTX 3050 Mobile, RTX A4000, T600

Added support for ATI FirePro RG220

Download page: GPU-Z 2.40.0 | 7.1 MB (Freeware)
      View: GPU-Z Website

• By Copernic
      Sysinternals Suite 2021.05.25
      by Razvan Serea

The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault. The Sysinternals Suite is a bundle of several Sysinternals Utilies like AccessChk, Autologon, Ctrl2Cap, DiskView, Disk Usage (DU), LogonSessions, PageDefrag, ProcessExplorer, PsLogList, PsPasswd, RegMon, RootkitRevealer, TCPView, VMMap, ZoomIt.

Changes in Sysinternals Suite 2021.05.25:

Process Monitor v3.80 - Process Monitor is the latest tool to integrate with the new Sysinternals theme engine, giving it dark mode support. Sysmon v13.20 - This update to Sysmon, an advanced system security monitor, adds "not begin with" and "not end with" filter conditions and fixes a regression for rule include/exclude logic. TCPView v4.10 - This update to TCPView, a TCP/UDP endpoint query tool, adds the ability to filter connections by state. Process Explorer v16.40 - This update to Process Explorer, an advanced process, DLL and handle viewing utility, adds process filtering support to the main display and reports process CET (shadow stack) support. PsExec v2.34 - This PsExec release reverts to sending all PsExec output to stderr so that only target process output emits to stdout. Sigcheck v2.81 - fixes a bug in filtering output for unsigned VirusTotal unknown files and now reports the signing time for files with untrusted certificate signatures. WinObj v3.10 - This WinObj update extends search functionality to include symbolic link targets. Download: Sysinternals Suite 2021.05.25 | 40.0 MB (Freeware)
      Link: Sysinternals Suite Home Page

• By Copernic
      Glary Utilities 5.166.0.192
      by Razvan Serea

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

Glary Utilities allow you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software.

All Glary Utilities tools can be accessed through an eye-pleasing and totally simplistic interface.

Glary Utilities 5.166.0.192 changelog:

Optimized Disk Cleaner: added support for 'ImToo Video Converter Standard' and 'AVS Image Converter' Optimized Tracks Eraser: added support for 'Yandex Browser' and 'AVS Image Converter' Optimized Tracks Eraser: optimized the scanning and cleaning of cookies for 'ImToo Video Converter Standard' and 'Thunderbird' Optimized Disk Explorer: optimized the back button process to improve user experience Optimized Disk Explorer: optimized the algorithm for selecting multiple files to improve user experience Optimized Quick Startup: optimized the algorithm to improve user experience Minor GUI improvements Minor bug fixes Download: Glary Utilities 5.166.0.192 | 18.7 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Glary Utilities | 22.5 MB
      View: Glary Utilities Homepage