Just Finished a Wood Maul Handle

Gerowen

One of the things I pride myself in is trying to be as self sufficient as possible. I recently moved back to Kentucky. I needed a wood maul and found the rusted head of one in my dad's tool building, so instead of spending $30-$50 for a whole new tool, I took the old rusted head from his building, brought it home, put an edge on it, cut me a hickory limb and barked it and let it dry out, and made my own handle.

For those curious, my primary tools were a "Buck" pocket knife, a small camping hatchet, a hammer, and one rather thick zip tie. After I got all the soft outer layers off, I laid the limb off to the side in my living room for a couple of days to let it dry out before continuing, because if you start working it as soon as you cut it, it will end up being loose or too small because the wood will shrink a little bit as it dries up. I placed the head of the wood maul over the large end then with a permanent marker I reached in and drew an outline around the edge of the hole through it. I then held the head next to the handle and made a mark slightly greater than the total height of the head, as measured from the end of the handle, then attached a zip tie at that point. Then I just took my hatchet and hammer and began splitting the end of the handle I had previously marked and breaking the bits of wood off until I got to the mark I had made earlier from inside the hole in the head. The zip tie stops the wood from splitting all the way down the handle when I peel it off. Once I got it shaved down just barely small enough to go all the way through, I took some small wood shims, drove them in with a hammer and then broke off any excess sticking up, and then I took a nail and drove into the top end of the handle to spread it out against the inside of the wood maul head to prevent it from coming off.

Anyway, I'm kind of proud, I've made a couple of tool handles for myself, and it seems like every one I make looks a little better, and thought I'd share for anybody interested in these kinds of crafts.

post-125978-0-45143100-1359269226.jpg

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Sysinternals Suite 2021.01.15 [Update]
      by Razvan Serea

The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault. The Sysinternals Suite is a bundle of several Sysinternals Utilies like AccessChk, Autologon, Ctrl2Cap, DiskView, Disk Usage (DU), LogonSessions, PageDefrag, ProcessExplorer, PsLogList, PsPasswd, RegMon, RootkitRevealer, TCPView, VMMap, ZoomIt.

Sysinternals Suite 2021.01.11 changelog:

Sysmon v13.00 - This update to Sysmon adds a process image tampering event that reports when the mapped image of a process doesn’t match the on-disk image file, or the image file is locked for exclusive access. These indicators are triggered by process hollowing and process herpaderping. This release also includes several bug fixes, including fixes for minor memory leaks. Process Monitor v3.61 - This update to Process Monitor adds monitoring for RegSaveKey, RegLoadKey and RegRestoreKey APIs, as well as fixes a bug in the details output for some types of directory queries. PsExec v2.21 - This update to PsExec, a command line utility for remotely launching processes on Windows computers, removes some MAX_PATH related limits and now mandates the -i flag for interactive sessions. Changes in Sysinternals Suite 2021.01.15:

PsExec v2.32 - This update to PsExec fixes a bug where the -r option was not honored. Sysmon v13.01 - This bugfix update to Sysmon resolves a series of config parsing issues. Download: Sysinternals Suite 2021.01.15 | 38.1 MB (Freeware)
      Link: Sysinternals Suite Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      Glary Utilities 5.158.0.184
      by Razvan Serea

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

Glary Utilities allow you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software.

All Glary Utilities tools can be accessed through an eye-pleasing and totally simplistic interface.

Glary Utilities 5.158.0.184 changelog:

Optimized Disk Cleaner: added support for 'Stellarium' and 'Balabolka'

Optimized Tracks Eraser: added support for 'Stellarium' and 'PhotoPad Image Editor'

Minor GUI improvements

Minor bug fixes

Download: Glary Utilities 5.158.0.184 | 17.8 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Glary Utilities | 21.4 MB
      View: Glary Utilities Homepage

• By Copernic
      Glary Utilities 5.157.0.183
      by Razvan Serea

Glary Utilities offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

Glary Utilities allow you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser add-ons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software.

All Glary Utilities tools can be accessed through an eye-pleasing and totally simplistic interface.

Glary Utilities 5.157.0.183 changelog:

Optimized Disk Cleaner: added support for 'Light Image Resizer 6' and 'Mirillis Action!' Optimized Tracks Eraser: added support for 'Light Image Resizer 6' and 'Mirillis Action!' Optimized Tracks Eraser: optimized the cleaning algorithm of browser cookies Minor GUI improvements Minor bug fixes Download: Glary Utilities 5.157.0.183 | 17.9 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Glary Utilities | 21.5 MB

• By Copernic
      Glary Utilities 5.156.0.182
      by Razvan Serea

Glary Utilities 5.156.0.182 changelog:

Optimized Disk Cleaner: added support for 'VideoProc 4.0' and 'Comodo Dragon (CHROME based browser)' Optimized Tracks Eraser: added support for 'VideoProc 4.0' and 'Comodo Dragon (CHROME based browser)' Optimized Registry Repair: optimized the registry export algorithm Minor GUI improvements Minor bug fixes Download: Glary Utilities 5.156.0.182 | 17.9 MB (Freeware)
      Download: Portable Glary Utilities | 21.5 MB

• By Copernic
      GPU-Z 2.36.0
      by Razvan Serea

GPU-Z is a lightweight system utility designed to provide vital information about your video card and graphics processor. At launch, it automatically scans your system and reports the card name, GPU, release date and transistors, BIOS version, ROPs, memory type, and memory size.

Main Features:

Supports NVIDIA, AMD, ATI and Intel graphics devices Displays adapter, GPU and display information Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available) Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration Validation of results GPU-Z can create a backup of your graphics card BIOS No installation required, optional installer is available Support for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported) GPU-Z 2.36.0 changelog:

Added support for CPU temperature monitoring on Zen 3 Improved support for AMD Radeon RX 6800, 6800 XT Added BIOS reading on Navi 2x Fixed ROP count on Navi 21 Fixed bluescreen when Windows Code Integrity enabled Fixed reported memory size on some NVIDIA cards Fixed default clock reading on NVIDIA Ampere when no driver installed Fixed IGP detection for Renoir and Intel Xe Added support for XFX new vendor ID Added support for iCX on EVGA GeForce 30 Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, MX450, Quadro RTX 6000 Mobile Added support for AMD Radeon Pro VII, HD 8550D (A8-6500T APU), Barco MXRT 5600 Added support for Intel Xe MAX Graphics, Xe Graphics, Xe Pod, Xe SG-18M Server GPU, Intel Comet Lake iGPU (Xeon W-1250, Xeon W-10855M) Download page: GPU-Z 2.36.0 | 9.5 MB (Freeware)
      View: GPU-Z Website