Has Neowin hit a all time low? If so, one day boycott

In one of the most disgusting things Ive seen on Neowin, this is frontpage: https://www.neowin.net/news/weekend-poll-do-you-hate-apple

I have got to say that some of us have been here few days and some years and years but I have got to comment that I have NEVER seen a frontpage article hit SO LOW and confirmed as 100% fanboy material.

If so, I believe the site deserves a one day boycott. Material like that is completely unacceptable in any way shape or form. I remind everyone that allow Neowin was writing and designed by the staff members, the real members are the ones that make this community active and alive. One thing is "unprofessional journalism looks better" another is "where being bias looks better". I suggest all members give this site a one day boycott to show that Neowin's members are way better than that.

Don't get me wrong. I would have voted I hate Apple as well as I think they are arrogant and idiots but no.

Opinions?

Bit overreacting on that particular piece I think.

There's much worse stuff in the news section and its respective comments section.

It's a kind reminder though to keep an eye on other forums and get ready to jump ship if things don't get better soon.

Glassed Silver:mac

No reason people can't express their personal like for a product -- you still don't have to buy it.

Counting the seconds until post is C-l-o-s-e-d ....

I think people like you should take a chill pill and learn how to relax. Just because you think it's wrong, doesn't mean everybody else think that way too. People this day too tight on internet. One day you sneeze and pop your drawers. This is not a white house, this is neowin.

• Like 2

I agree, it's not really something that should be on the front page. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than flamebait. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I wouldn't want to see more posts like that.

• Like 3

In one of the most disgusting things Ive seen on Neowin, this is frontpage: http://www.neowin.ne...-you-hate-apple

I have got to say that some of us have been here few days and some years and years but I have got to comment that I have NEVER seen a frontpage article hit SO LOW and confirmed as 100% fanboy material.

If so, I believe the site deserves a one day boycott. Material like that is completely unacceptable in any way shape or form. I remind everyone that allow Neowin was writing and designed by the staff members, the real members are the ones that make this community active and alive. One thing is "unprofessional journalism looks better" another is "where being bias looks better". I suggest all members give this site a one day boycott to show that Neowin's members are way better than that.

Don't get me wrong. I would have voted I hate Apple as well as I think they are arrogant and idiots but no.

Opinions?

I wasn't as bothered as you to post a thread about it but yeah, I totally agree with you.

• Like 1

Bit overreacting on that particular piece I think.

There's much worse stuff in the news section and its respective comments section.

It's a kind reminder though to keep an eye on other forums and get ready to jump ship if things don't get better soon.

Glassed Silver:mac

There is worst stuff in the news section BUT nothing like this has ever hit frontpage. This is not frontpage material. What you see on the frontpage is basically what the site is about. If I was a guest browsing and I saw that, I would not sign up because I would think this is a antiApple page.

No reason people can't express their personal like for a product -- you still don't have to buy it.

Counting the seconds until post is C-l-o-s-e-d ....

They can express their like/dislike; Its the image that Neowin is giving about itself and its members that bothers me

I think people like you should take a chill pill and learn how to relax. Just because you think it's wrong, doesn't mean everybody else think that way too. People this day too tight on internet. One day you sneeze and pop your drawers. This is not a white house, this is neowin.

I imagine you are very young and do not understand when a site that has members gives out its image. Like I said above, it seems all of us are just antiApple

What about this thing that i found on the XDA-Developers forum?

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2046924

Kicking out / ban a forum user just because he said Apple was idiots is WAY way worser than than the case you OP are talking about.

Now, i'm pretty new to the Neowin webpage, so i'm not gonna come with ANY conclusion on how the admins or moderators are now on this web page.

For me so far, Neowin looks to be one of the best web pages so far when it's about hardware and software news.

• Like 2

I wasn't as bothered as you to post a thread about it but yeah, I totally agree with you.

I don't care much as well, I mean life goes on and I know members on this site are not like that but I think our opinion has to be said.

No need to get so butthurt over an article Apple fanboy

I mentioned it already; I do not like Apple. I hate them. I would say a comment about Jobs but it would get me a warning/ban. I would have posted the same topic if it was about Microsoft/Google/Sony/IBM/Oracle/Cisco/Juniper Networks/Asus/etc.....All about what Neowin is making its members look like.

For me so far, Neowin looks to be one of the best web pages so far when it's about hardware and software news.

^ I don't know if Neowin.net is the best, but I enjoy it. ;)

It's a pretty stupid poll but I wouldn't bother worrying about it too much. As you suggested, it's just flamebait to drive page views so the easiest thing to do is ignore it (or use an ad blocker).

I actually wanted to post something similar. There are plenty of low quality click-bait posts on the front page (most of them, really), but posting a poll titled "Do you hate Apple" is ****ing mental.

I think you are missing a few steps here - since the owners have provided a method of contacting them, would it not make sense to complain first? I.e. allow them the opportunity to resolve the matter without a financial penalty. This site is about delivering information and they maybe receptive to this method.

I doubt you will see the creators discussing in a thread about suspending your account for a day.

If a service is 99% to your liking seems a little on the extreme side.

All it is, is a simple question. You're more than welcome to ignore it and move along. Would you kick up a fuss if say, a vegetarian recipe website put up a poll with the question 'Do you hate meat?' I doubt it.

• Like 3

It isn't the poll that grinds me, it's the way it's presented. Here's I would have done it (from the comments on the poll)

this poll is very biased. You can either hate them or not hate them.

Title should be "How do you feel about Apple?" with love to hate as options and with a whole bunch more in between.

Indifferent in the middle.

I guess you could have even created a more positive poll all together if a poll is what we need.

"Whats you're favorite tech company" with the top 20 players or something like that.

You still find out who is liked the most but there's no negative emphasis which is what the poll as it stands is full with.

I really wasn't surprised that on NeoWIN that more people "Hate" apple than not. Just as if this poll were done on macrumors or something, there would be a landslide for people who don't hate it.

• Like 1

All it is, is a simple question. You're more than welcome to ignore it and move along. Would you kick up a fuss if say, a vegetarian recipe website put up a poll with the question 'Do you hate meat?' I doubt it.

The problem is that it's the lowest form of click bait out there. And the second, larger problem is that it nurtures the fanboy mentality, instead of fighting it. This place has become horrible and there is basically no discussion anymore, it's just flamewar after flamewar. And it's not surprising in the least, when the idiots in charge post stuff like that on the front page.

And sure, I'm thinking of "ignoring" this site. It has turned to sh*t when it comes to front page news, and in turn it has turned the message board (the reason I'm here) into a cesspool of idiocy with a lot of long time members leaving the place because of it.

If you honestly don't see anything wrong with the poll, than I don't know what to say. This truly is a sad day for everyone who's been here for years, to witness Neowin scraping the bottom of the internet journalism barrel to get a few clicks.

• Like 4

The problem is that it's the lowest form of click bait out there. And the second, larger problem is that it nurtures the fanboy mentality, instead of fighting it.

^ What's wrong with being a 'fanboy' of a well made, cool product that you enjoy ?

^ What's wrong with being a 'fanboy' of a well made, cool product that you enjoy ?

A fan appreciates the product they use. A fanboy is out there to convince the universe that everything else is ****, ruins discussion for people who are using other stuff, and is acting as the sad, self-appointed guardian of a corporation that doesn't give a crap about his ass.

Look at the poll title, and let me know who it was intended for: fans and a civil discussion, or fanboys and raging?

• Like 3

I completely agree. Neowin, especially the front page, has turned into a joke. With the 3 day old articles, opinion articles that never should have been more than a blog/forum post, and posts like we're discussing.

And I agree with the post above me. If you wanted to maturely ask this question of your followers, ask what your opinion is, and even then you could use the words "love/hate" to describe. But to use the words hate as the main question just helps fuel hatred. Anyone so emotionally attached to a computer company that actually would say they HATE them, has some psychological issues to get checked out. Unless they are dumping toxic waste in your backyard or killed your dog or something like that, no sane person would HATE a company. You may not prefer their products or style of business, but do you really hate them?

I do understand that this is a Microsoft based site, I've been here longer than most people, but I thought it had grown to a point where it was out of fanboy cult status, but with the constant "Why Windows 8 really is awesome and you guys are just dumb" posts, and posts like this, I suppose there's only one demographic even wanted here. While I thought with it's size Neowin would grow and mature, but apparently it will always stay a stepping stone for teenagers just learning about computers. Hey, it helped me at times, but now I'm a big kid and Neowin still feels like it's filled with 15 year olds.

• Like 3

What are your thoughts on the one about Microsoft? I think I saw one about "do you hate Microsoft". Is that one okay, while the one about Apple is bad? Geeze, stop being so sensitive and offended about stupid stuff.

It still amazes me the way humans will totally ignore important things going on, but will flip out about trivial, stupid things.