[OSx86] My first working OSX86 build!

I like my hackintosh, it's running well, but it tends to freeze. I can be a full day without a single freeze, then the next day it'll freeze twice within 30mins. It's odd.

I used to have a hackintosh around the 10.6 era. I loved being able to run OS X on my powerhouse (at the time: quad core + 6GB of RAM + dedicated gpu). But it was too much of a hassle! I had to run some terminal commands on every boot-up so that my sound card would output sound properly. Also it detected my main SATA disk as a removable drive! I was always worried I'd eject it by accident!

Nowadays, I have an '08 Aluminum MacBook that sits on my desk at a fraction of the energy consumption of the old tower and a '11 MacBook Pro that I use with an SSD and 16GB of RAM for real world work. Can't beat the "just works" factor.

I like my hackintosh, it's running well, but it tends to freeze. I can be a full day without a single freeze, then the next day it'll freeze twice within 30mins. It's odd.

I got the same crap when I updated to 10.8.3 from 10.8.2 - hence doing a clean install recently. No freezes yet...

I installed 10.8 in august, it works since then, no reinstall needed. Updated always through appstore to newest versions, using 10.8.4 now. It's working nicely.

I really wish I could run OSX on my laptop in a more permanent way. Everything works pretty much out of the box, but there are no kexts for my Intel WiFi card.

I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of building my hackintosh. I use it everyday as my main pc at work. I've never had a single issue with it, infact it's much better than the hackintosh I built prior to it...or the one prior to that! I guess 3rd time is a charm. I use Lion (not mountain lion) cause it's what I bought the DVD of. (never pirate something like an OS... you'll eventually regret it) I dual boot Lion and Windows 8... though I rarely go into Windows on this system. Setup and Install went without a hitch and I saved a print out of screenshots taken during install. I used the Kakewalk bootdisc to start the installer, then multibeast after OSX was installed. I used a 128Gb SSD for OSX, then I have two 1Tb drives for file storage and the Windows install.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 w/ Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.2Ghz

Memory is Crucial DDR3-1600 (4) X 8Gb for a total of 32Gb

Graphics card is an XFX-Radeon HD 6870 1Gb driving 2 HP LA2405x Displays.

Software I run, Adobe photoshop, Microsoft Office, VLC, Iron Browser (chrome without the botnet), Firefox, Chrome, Spark IM, Virtualbox, VMWare, Acrobat, Transmission, CoRD (Windows RDP client... works great)

For over a year now, it's been stable and running like a champ. Probably not going to replace it for 2 more years if it continues to be this good.

I got the same crap when I updated to 10.8.3 from 10.8.2 - hence doing a clean install recently. No freezes yet...

I might have found a fix for it.... Still testing, basically the 10.8.3+ versions of OSX have issues with some Fermi-based cards (Like my 560ti), their sleep states make the windowmanager freeze.

Basically, let's say you are playing music in iTunes, and the screen'd freeze, yet the music is still running.

I found a 'fix', it's basically an app that puts a minimum of stress on your GPU constantly just so it doesn't fall to it's lower sleep state (Or so I understand)

Fix URL: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/93022-560ti-fermi-freeze-back-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a.html

Hmm.. good info! I have to say that so far (fingers crossed) it's not doing this on 10.8.4 so I'm hoping it's been fixed somehow! Will refer back to this if I start to get the same crap happening again though. Thanks.

I want to run OSX, I have a compatible UEFI mobo but 7850 graphics, probably one of the only 7850 that doesn't work...

I've pretty much given up gaming (despite owning a GTX560) so no need to have a very current (and unsupported) graphics card :)

Yeah in the hackintosh community, if you want good hardware support, you need to wait 6 to 12 months after the hardware release. 6 months for the OS to come with basic support (ATi/nVidia/Intel), and a possible other 6 months for community support.

They've had 7850 support for months, but for some reason my 7850 doesn't work with the drivers that everyone elses 7850 works with.

If it's supported then you gotta keep trying, legend :) I can help you with it if you want

I spent a week trying to get it working, I have a cheap as chips 7850 I think it doesn't follow reference design and uses different cheaper components compared to the big brands which is stopping it from working properly.

The only current way of getting around it is by using HD4000 Intel Graphics as primary adapter and 7850 as accelerator but I only have HD2000 on my Sandybridge CPU which isn't compatible with OSX.

* Dock magnification doesn't work. Even if I enable the option in the Dock Preferences applet, just doesn't work. Not sure what that's about!

I know you posted this quite some time ago now but just to check, are you sure you have QE/CI enabled? Easiest way to tell is if the menu bar is translucent or not or if you can see the ripple effect when you add a widget to the dashboard.

If you can't see those then it might explain why magnification is also not working. You might have fixed this now as I see you did a few reinstalls, but just suggesting if you didn't work it out yet.

Bizarrely it was because I needed a driver for my mouse - a Cyborg RAT5. I posted about it a few posts back :) All works now beautifully!