'How I Met Your Mother' renewed for final ninth season by CBS

How I Met Your Mother has been renewed for a ninth and final season.

CBS has confirmed recent speculation that the Neil Patrick Harris series will be back in the autumn to bid farewell to its all-star cast, although the exact episode order has not yet been announced.

How I Met Your Mother's series finale is also expected to reveal the mother of Ted's (Josh Radnor) child, which has been a long-running mystery throughout the show.

CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler said of the renewal: "Through eight years, How I Met Your Mother has mastered the art of leading-edge comedy, emotional water-cooler moments and pop culture catchphrases.

"We are excited... to tell the final chapter and reveal television's most mysterious mother to some of TV's most passionate fans."

How I Met Your Mother was apparently saved from ending this season by Jason Segel's willingness to return for additional episodes.

(http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s212/how-i-met-your-mother/news/a455105/how-i-met-your-mother-renewed-for-final-ninth-season-by-cbs.html)

Looking forward to this, i like how i met your mother but i feel its starting to drag a bit now

Thank goodness. No offense to anyone but the show was actually getting stale. I was done with it after the first 4 seasons really!

So...that means all of the hints of who the mother is that we've seen this season is going to be either another misdirection or not revealed at all. Fantastic. Now we have to wait another year. I used to really enjoy this show, but now it's just frustrating.

I wonder if the Mother is only in the last episode, and it will probably fade to black with Mosby VO of "and Kids, that's how I met your mother".

I wonder if the Mother is only in the last episode, and it will probably fade to black with Mosby VO of "and Kids, that's how I met your mother".

Robin and Barney's wedding is set on May 25, 2013 and he meets her there. So they will probably meet at the end of this season then we will have the final season next fall.