Chinese Millionaire Sells Canned Air On The Streets Of Smog-Filled Beijing

Beijing?s air pollution problem is known worldwide, and one eccentric Chinese billionaire is cashing in. Chen Guangbiao, a southern Chinese tycoon known for his showmanship, is selling what the capital desperately needs - fresh air.

Chen and his colleagues took to the streets on Wednesday to give away hundreds of cans of fresh air collected from pure, far away regions of China. Chen made his fortune in the recycling business and is regarded as one of China?s highest-profile philanthropists, whose wealth is estimated at 740 million dollars. He wants people to realize that selling clean air could one day be a reality if air quality doesn?t improve.

"I'm selling this clean air to remind everyone to protect our environment. Selling this air, I am using an exaggerated method, a principle, to tell everyone that if we don't start protecting the air in our environment, in ten years our descendants will all be wearing gas masks," he said.

Beijing's poor air quality shocked citizens over the past few weeks with the worst ever recorded smog.

Chen began his campaign last September, and proceeds from the cans are donated to poorer regions

Source: Reuters

http://tv.ibtimes.co...ed-beijing-8794

:s :s

In a way, he can probably get away with this because it is a criticism of the government (whether he realises it or not) and their inability to deal with the pollution problems in China. He is wealthy and well-known. He isn't going to be arrested as a dissident and disappear into a Chinese jail somewhere.

Yeah, I tend to agree, they would rather allow this than to admit to their being a pollution problem. Which then would result in them having to figure out a way to fix it, and that costs money...

I've heard stories of Chinese officials giving factory owners privilege, not because they're rich, but because there is so much value placed on economic growth. So if the government goes to him and says "hey don't do this" or "don't do that", he can say fine, I'll just shut down my businesses, and that's enough to shut them up. This unfortunately is a big reason for pollution being such a problem. Even if there is a policy of environmentalism, government officials don't want to be responsible for shrinking the economy of their jurisdiction.