Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th

ugh... they should learn from Apple/itunes and everyone else.

don't make your own limited scope social network. connect with FB natively and use that for the social sharing functions.

The PS3 already connects with Facebook.

The share button on the new DS is also rumoured to be for Twitter/FB and the likes.

yes, but now they're obviously trying to move over to their own limited scope social network. which is overall a bad idea.

The article doesn't even say that. It says a new social feature, not a new social network. The social feature probably IS the Dualshock share button.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita?s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

Isn't the YouTube cap 15 minutes?

The article doesn't even say that. It says a new social feature, not a new social network. The social feature probably IS the Dualshock share button.

Isn't the YouTube cap 15 minutes?

By default the limit is 15 minutes but you can change a setting to enable unlimited uploads: http://support.googl...en&answer=71673

EDIT: I just enabled it on my YouTube account. You need to verify your account with a verification code (delivered with a phone call or text).

hopefully, unless they've decided to block FB just because MS are part owners and will probably be heavily integrated in the nextbox. (following their strategy with everything else they've done the last few years)

hopefully, unless they've decided to block FB just because MS are part owners and will probably be heavily integrated in the nextbox. (following their strategy with everything else they've done the last few years)

Part owners? They have about a 1.6% stake in the company. I think they have a bigger stake in Immersion.

And rumors of the next XBox using Blu-ray kind of make the whole thing a wash.

why, what does blu-ray have to do with anything ? Sony doesn't really have any ownership in BD, whatever they had was sold off to toshiba, they're just part of the alliance which, isn't anything like it.

1.6% is a whole lot more than nothing though :)

why, what does blu-ray have to do with anything ? Sony doesn't really have any ownership in BD, whatever they had was sold off to toshiba, they're just part of the alliance which, isn't anything like it.

1.6% is a whole lot more than nothing though :)

Sony collects royalties from every blu-ray disc sold: game, movie, or otherwise (along with Panasonic, etc.). Sony still has about a 30% stake in blu-ray. It's the Cell manufacturing that they sold off to Toshiba.

In other words, there's a much larger reason to not use Blu-ray in Microsoft's next machine than for Sony to block a Facebook API.

Related, MS has had its investment in Facebook since 2007 -- after which Sony added FB functionality to various games and the XMB.

can't wait for the 20th, should be cool. hope the new console will be available soon after. i won't get either new consoles for the first year i believe, but it'll be very exciting to witness them finally arrive.

If Sony can, they should announce it in Feb and have it ready to sell by November/December. Worldwide.

Jump in before MS' next offering (the 360's 1yr jump on the PS3 helped boost its sales). Sell around the holiday/Xmas period. Watch cash roll in. Renew faith in your brand/product.

Oh it's fun to dream of what might be. :wub:

To be honest, I don't think the 1 year head start is as big of a difference maker as some people are making it out to be. Out of 10 gamers that I know, I was the only person who owned a 360 on launch. Most of them waited till the PS3's release to decide which one they wanted. Seeing as Sony was so successful the previous generation I wouldn't be surprised if that was true for many gamers.

To be honest, I don't think the 1 year head start is as big of a difference maker as some people are making it out to be. Out of 10 gamers that I know, I was the only person who owned a 360 on launch. Most of them waited till the PS3's release to decide which one they wanted. Seeing as Sony was so successful the previous generation I wouldn't be surprised if that was true for many gamers.

10 gamers eh? That's quite the pool you have there for your research :p I personally bought a 360 in 2007 as soon as I heard the price for the PS3. I simply couldn't afford it at the time. That said, I'm not working full-time but my expectations are $400 or less. *Maybe* $450, but we'll see what's included. I own a PS3 now and got rid of my 360 two years ago so I plan on sticking with Sony and the PS4, but I may wait to jump in depending on the launch cost/specs.

Some people are forgetting that dev kits usually have double to amount of memory than the consoles because they need room to run debug code. So if the Sony PS4 dev kit has 8GB memory then expect the console to have 4GB.

10 gamers eh? That's quite the pool you have there for your research :p I personally bought a 360 in 2007 as soon as I heard the price for the PS3. I simply couldn't afford it at the time. That said, I'm not working full-time but my expectations are $400 or less. *Maybe* $450, but we'll see what's included. I own a PS3 now and got rid of my 360 two years ago so I plan on sticking with Sony and the PS4, but I may wait to jump in depending on the launch cost/specs.

I understand that. But what I'm trying to get at is that just because the console came out first doesn't mean everyone was jumping on the bandwagon. Sony had a huge following coming out of the previous generation and I'm sure not only my 10 friends but a majority of Japan and a large percentage of Europe held out for the PS3 (at least until they heard the price).

To be honest, I don't think the 1 year head start is as big of a difference maker as some people are making it out to be.

Yeah. When you have a console out and there is no real, direct competitor, that doesn't help sales at all. :rolleyes:

Sony's been posting 'Evolution' trailers on its YouTube.

• First one was yesterday with the PS1
  • Today is the PS2
  • Tomorrow (Feb 17th) should be PSP
  • Monday (Feb 18th) PS3
  • Tuesday (Feb 19th) Vita
  • Wednesday (Feb 20th) ????
  • profit.

Emnity is correct, I personally don't plan on getting either console this year. I suspect both will be available by the time GTA V comes out. Sony may go for one of their April releases in Japan again, I think that used to be somewhat of a tradition for them until the PS3, which didn't turn out that auspicious.

Sony's been posting 'Evolution' trailers on its YouTube.

• First one was yesterday with the PS1
  • Today is the PS2
  • Tomorrow (Feb 17th) should be PSP
  • Monday (Feb 18th) PS3
  • Tuesday (Feb 19th) Vita
  • Wednesday (Feb 20th) ????
  • profit.

Wednesday (Feb 20th) Ridge Racer

• Like 2

I really really hope that Sony announces full compatibility with Android OS. Meaning, they could allow Google Play store and owners of PS4 will be able to run Android apps on the PS4. Even if they don't allow Google Play store, they could really make a store similar to Amazon and have everyone publish for PS4 immediately through their system. The code would be the same for Google Play and this hypothetical Sony Playstation Android playground and the only difference would be that we developers could push out our existing Android apps and games directly to Sony's market without really touching core code.

This would be a kiss of death for Microsoft since Sony would absolutely kill it. Instead of trying to push Indie games themselves they could literally get a library of insane amount of games and apps overnight and would allow anyone who writes apps for Android ( :D ) to publish cool apps directly to PS4 through this Android support.

Not to mention that this would allow them to immediately get support for Android tablets and phones to interact with their Playstation network. Something that Microsoft really still has to build up with their Windows Phone, Surface + XBox Live approach.

My guess is that they could even introduce additional SDK modules for Android development that tie in directly into Playstation Network API and PS4 hardware and capabilities. This would be SICK.

I really really hope they do it. That would make me get PS4 on day 1 no matter what it costs. It would be an unbelievable entertainment machine as it has been so far, an amazing Android machine for indie developers and a kick ass hardcore gamer's machine.

Since Microsoft would never do this as it would go completely against their own Windows 8/Windows Phone apps model, Sony could one up them in a major way.

I really really hope that Sony announces full compatibility with Android OS. Meaning, they could allow Google Play store and owners of PS4 will be able to run Android apps on the PS4. Even if they don't allow Google Play store, they could really make a store similar to Amazon and have everyone publish for PS4 immediately through their system. The code would be the same for Google Play and this hypothetical Sony Playstation Android playground and the only difference would be that we developers could push out our existing Android apps and games directly to Sony's market without really touching core code.

This would be a kiss of death for Microsoft since Sony would absolutely kill it. Instead of trying to push Indie games themselves they could literally get a library of insane amount of games and apps overnight and would allow anyone who writes apps for Android ( :D ) to publish cool apps directly to PS4 through this Android support.

Not to mention that this would allow them to immediately get support for Android tablets and phones to interact with their Playstation network. Something that Microsoft really still has to build up with their Windows Phone, Surface + XBox Live approach.

My guess is that they could even introduce additional SDK modules for Android development that tie in directly into Playstation Network API and PS4 hardware and capabilities. This would be SICK.

I really really hope they do it. That would make me get PS4 on day 1 no matter what it costs. It would be an unbelievable entertainment machine as it has been so far, an amazing Android machine for indie developers and a kick ass hardcore gamer's machine.

Since Microsoft would never do this as it would go completely against their own Windows 8/Windows Phone apps model, Sony could one up them in a major way.

That's actually not a bad idea. Incorporate something like people envisioned when Steam was supposedly coming to PS3. It would expand also on what was thought to (or did? I didn't follow it beyond reveal) come to the XPeria phone.

Howeva, rumor has it that there will be a Smartglass-like implementation of being able to use your phone or tablet to interface with your PS3. It probably won't be quite as expansive as Microsoft is going for, but the basics seem to be there.

So is the event going to be livestreamed? I haven't heard any times or where.. only the date.

i'd like to know as well

sony's been pretty good about streaming their stuff in the past so I'd say just keep an eye on their website