Forgotten movie, need help remembering

I know we have quite a few movie aficionados here. But this is going to be a toughie as I don't remember much info. The movie was made in the late '60s to the early to mid '70s.

The movie was set in the '60s, prior to the war in 'Nam. But it was centered around this diner and the friends that hung out there. One of the guys who acted in this movie was the guy you see in Apocalypse Now, who is wearing a Hawaiian shirt and is going A.W.O.L. He wore glasses and looked kind of geeky.

This movie came out before Apoc Now and a few of the guys in Apoc Now were also in the movie I'm trying to think of. Plus they played the same parts.

Anyways, I know that isn't much info, but hopefully someone can help me figure it out as our tax return will be hitting our bank acct on the 5th.

A'Now came out in 1979, and the closest diner film I remember was Barry Levinson's classic Diner in 1982. Before that was Bus Stop in 1956.

There have been quite a few with memorable diner scenes, one of my favs being Jack Nicholson's famous rant in Five Easy Pieces.

A'Now came out in 1979, and the closest diner film I remember was Barry Levinson's classic Diner in 1982. Before that was Bus Stop in 1956.

There have been quite a few with memorable diner scenes, one of my favs being Jack Nicholson's famous rant in Five Easy Pieces.

That wasn't it. This movie came out before Apoc Now. I also remember all those beautiful classic cars.

If several of the actors in Apocalypse Now were in this film you could use IMDB to compare and match movies they were in.

I tried that. But couldn't find anything. Oh well. Hopefully I will figure it out before the 5th. Our tax return will hit our bank supposedly on that day. According to the IRS automated system.