What Was Your First Computer System?

FACT: A TRS-80 Model III computer cost $2500.00 !!!!!!!

The Model I combined the mainboard and keyboard into one unit, in what was to be a common case design trend throughout the 8-bit microcomputer era, although it had a separate power supply unit. It used a Zilog Z80 processor clocked at 1.77 MHz (later models were shipped with a Z80A). The basic model originally shipped with 4 KB of RAM, and later 16 KB.

First personal computer I've owned myself: 486 DX 33 MHz, 8 MB RAM, 170 MB Conner HDD, 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives, 14" monitor. Bought in June 1993.

First personal computer my dad owned and let me use:

victor_sirius_1.jpg

I never had one as a kid, too expensive and I didn't really have much interest in them back then. Game consoles like my ColecoVision were more my thing. The first computer I remember using was the TRS-80 and later the Apple II at school. Sometimes they would let us play TRS Invaders on them.

The first PC I ever owned was a Compaq Presario 4640 with a Pentium II 266 and one of those new DVD-ROM drives. I still remember picking it out at Sears and getting it home to unpack it; so exciting. Over time though I learned that upgrading it was basically not an option however and it was the very last OEM PC I ever bought. I've built my own since then but I still have very fond memories of it.

290px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

I had the green monochrome monitor version.

Amstrad CPC464

First real PC:

Windows 3.1.1 for workgroups and dos 6 point something

486dx2 66mhz (with turbo on!)

8mb RAM

2mb video card

600mb hard drive

CD-ROM drive!

14" CRT display maxing at 1024x768 (but only with 16bit colour :o)

• Like 1

Commodore C16 - we went through 3 of them and many QuickShot joysticks over FireAnt and The Chip Factory.

1024px-Commodore_16_002a.png

First one I owned was a Dell Dimension 9100, first I bought myself was my current XPS 8500.

Epson with Windows 3.1. Then 98 SE in 2000.

I got a Commodore 64 and a tape drive on Christmas day, 1984.

In retrospect, a few hundred dollars of 1984 money is an awful lot for parents to spend on a 12-year old kid. I'm not even sure they realized at the time it was going to pay off one day. For that, I'm eternally grateful.

1986 - My first computer was a Honeywell DPS-6. It was running the Pick OS. It had a 10" reel tape drive and a 132 column line printer. We had an IBM PC (4.7 MHz), an IBM AT and a couple of Wyse 60 terminals connected to it for access. Wow! do I feel old?

post-300958-0-50375900-1360011599.jpg

First exposure was an IBM System 3, first to actually own was a TRS-80 Model 1, later replaced with a Model 16 running Microsoft Xenix, that held me until the PC era started.

trs80_16.jpg

Recieved a Commodore VIC-20 as a christmas gift when I was 6, No tape drive just programming books for basic & a few cartriges with Pac-Man, Centipede & Donkey Kong. I started programming in basic the next year, I remember typing for 12-13 hours as a kid and my mom telling me i needed to unplug the machine for supper and loosing all my work (it didnt stop me though, it just made me type faster as to have time to play with my programs i made)

CBMVIC20P8.jpg