Liberty Global to buy Virgin Media

US billionaire John Malone's cable group, Liberty Global, has agreed to buy the UK's Virgin Media in a cash and stock deal worth $23.3bn (?15bn).

The deal will create the world's largest broadband company, with 25 million customers in 14 countries. In the UK, it will be the second biggest pay-TV business after BSkyB.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21347814

"In the UK, it will be the second biggest pay-TV business after BSkyB." ... the second largest out of two :p (excluding the recent IPTV offerings of course)

"In the UK, it will be the second biggest pay-TV business after BSkyB." ... the second largest out of two :p (excluding the recent IPTV offerings of course)

I'd have to say compared with Sky and Virgin Media the IPTV offerings in the UK take a tiny percentage.

Wont affect me, no cable in my street as its a new estate so they won't lay any down.

good to see Branson is planning his next space mission with some pocket money

Surprised at how fast this has happened. Read an article yesterday detailing that Virgin Media was in takeover talks and then this morning it was all agreed lol

Not sure if this is good or bad news.

Hopefully it's not bad. I recently switched to VM for broadband and have been very happy with their offering and service. I'd hate to see the new owner run the business down.

I've never heard of "Liberty Global"? just looked it up and it says they own in the USA "Liberty Cablevision" I assume that is just Cablevision the cable provider?... which seems to be the only US company they own? seems they own more european stuff then anything

Edit: maybe it's not cablevision, just did some more research, and it says Liberty Cablevision is a cable company in puerto rico....

Apparently they operate services in 14 different countires, and with the purchase of Virgin Media will become the world's biggest broadband supplier....