KingCrackers build thread.

I'm going to be modding my 2013 chevy sonic 1.4T and i'll come here and update what ive done to it. So far i'm waiting on an few things to get shipped and emailed to me.

I've got coming to me

Bad News Racing Sonic 1.4T Stage 1 Kit

That includes their premium tune and a ZZP intake

http://store.badnewsracing.net/Bad-News-Racing-Sonic-14T-Stage-1-Kit_p_64.html

I'm also waiting on a ZZP exhaust system with a secondary cat delete and a test pipe.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1164-ZZP-Stainless-Catback-Exhaust-for-Sonic.aspx

one last thing i'm waiting on is minor, i'm waiting on some Slyvania silver star ultra high and low beams.

I'll take pictures once I get everything installed.

The silver stars are pretty nice.

Not my choice of car to choose to mod, but good for you.

You will now be able to get from 0-60 in just under 10 seconds and less than a 1/4 mile to do so :p

The silver stars are pretty nice.

Not my choice of car to choose to mod, but good for you.

You will now be able to get from 0-60 in just under 10 seconds and less than a 1/4 mile to do so :p

It does 0-60 in under 10 seconds stock. Tuned sonics are pretty quick a guy in the sonic forums is getting 60mph in second gear. i can get about 40 with a stock sonic.

60 mph in second gear is not gonna be good in a stock gearbox

If you wanna do random thing like that your gonna have to mess with the gear ratios or your gonna blow ur box

60 mph in second gear is not gonna be good in a stock gearbox

If you wanna do random thing like that your gonna have to mess with the gear ratios or your gonna blow ur box

Lots of sonic owners have the tune, they reported no ill effects on their cars. Bad news racing purchased a sonic to test the tune out before releasing it to the public.

While you are changing the acceleration via a tune, how are you changing the characteristics of being able to go faster in a specific gear? I don't recall being able to go faster in a specific gear after I added a supercharger to the car, perhaps 100 hp cars are different than 300 or 400 or even 500 hp cars (I started around 180 stock). Always was able to get to speed faster in the gear, but never noticed that the gear itself had a higher top end - doesn't mean to say that it didn't happen, just wasn't noticable not 10mph noticable. When I changed the rear gears the fastest the fker would go was around 140 regardless of HP (lower final gear to bring acceleration up, but loose top end speed), needed to either change the final gear ratio to give more top end or change the gear ratios in the trans to support more.

Ever considered, say, buying a faster car than modding? :p

I would if I was rich..What i'm doing to my car only cost 1000 dollars, It'll make it quicker and have more boost. So 1000 dollars vs 20,000+, no thanks.

Just had to google 'chevy sonic', don't think I've seen one of those before or just didn't pay attention to it. Interesting nontheless. Good luck and, of course, have fun. I subbed, hope to see your progress soon :)

Ok he didnt get 60mph but close 57.

In all of his videos it seems 2nd hits high, that he winds second up in.

Regardless, lets see how it works for you. You are completing this, so it really doesn't matter what I think. This is your learning experience and I do like hearing what other people go through, the laughs, the crys, the I should have done this differentlys. Looking forward to your updates.

BTW, no one ever said you need to spend 20000 on a car...2-5000 would be enough to initially get in a car that has more potential, that has more aftermarket support with more low and top end support. You could even do for 1000, if you found the right deal (you may be looking for a while to find a good candidate for 1000). If curious, I did 2 cars when I was at $12 an hr. One dd and one to mod and play with.

In all of his videos it seems 2nd hits high, that he winds second up in.

Regardless, lets see how it works for you. You are completing this, so it really doesn't matter what I think. This is your learning experience and I do like hearing what other people go through, the laughs, the crys, the I should have done this differentlys. Looking forward to your updates.

BTW, no one ever said you need to spend 20000 on a car...2-5000 would be enough to initially get in a car that has more potential, that has more aftermarket support with more low and top end support. You could even do for 1000, if you found the right deal (you may be looking for a while to find a good candidate for 1000). If curious, I did 2 cars when I was at $12 an hr. One dd and one to mod and play with.

Its a 2012-13 model, give it time. The aftermarket is growing pretty fast for the car. The engine in it is the exact same as the one in the chevy cruz, so it has been the test bed for the sonic for a while, the sonic is lighter than the cruze so its better than the cruze...

Plus the Sonic has been over sea's for a few years as well and you can buy aftermarket stuff on ebay.

But anyway, i'm not rushing out to buy another car, the car I have is the one I have and from what others have done to theirs, there's a lot of potential.

Got my ZZP Performance Secondary cat delete with test pipe in the other day.

2wd0eh1.jpg

Installed it yesterday.

2s95cnc.jpg

Still waiting for my tune and intake, i'm hoping to have to delivered to me by this week.

Just installed the tune, omg it pulls hard! The roads are wet so I really didnt get on it hard but the little that I did get on it, man its awesome, going to send them a data log when my intake gets here so they can adjust my tune for that.

Final piece put on, my intake.

2n8o31y.jpg

And now here is what my car sounds like with the new intake installed. the stock airbox was restricting air flow to the turbo and thus not allowing it to give it that turbo sound.

• 2 months later...

I got it on a dyno the other week and its putting out 170hp and 196 tq im also getting 22psi on WOT. Stock the car makes 138hp,148 tq and around 11psi of boost.

Have you checked the torque limit of your gearbox?

No but I have an automatic and I have it from very good authority that the Auto trans can take a lot more abuse than the manual.

Is something scraping or rubbing (in the last video)?

No, I think you're refering to the tires, when I go around the curves. I haven't done any suspension work to it yet, stock tires on it still.

Ah that's what I thought it was :) Sounds nice and good power for something that's very light.