Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8  

631 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No

Why does my screen need to be cluttered with menus? It makes no logical sense to overwhelm the user. I want my content to be the focus, not eleventy billion options cluttering my screen.

personally the way it was done before worked just fine. We didn't have to try to activate a hidden menu on the side of the screen. It's also touchy with the mouse. Now you'll say "well just press windows key +C". But like I said before the average user is not good with hot keys. Now all they are is frustrated.

In Fact hidden menu's and full screen content SCREAMS consumption device. Which for a tablet is fine, but this is for my desktop, I don't just want to consume information I want to be productive.

why isnt DM banned for trolling? im sure if someone was being as adamant for 7 or xp as he is about 8 his account wouldnt have been allowed to post. Also how many people work behind the DM name tag? Doesnt seem like one guy. just saying.

This isnt the place to discuss this kind of thing. If you are so worried about a user and what he/she does...then msg a mod/admin for assistance.

why isnt DM banned for trolling? im sure if someone was being as adamant for 7 or xp as he is about 8 his account wouldnt have been allowed to post. Also how many people work behind the DM name tag? Doesnt seem like one guy. just saying.

I recently fooled around with a Surface Pro for a couple days. The new start menu is annoying with touch or non touch devices. I am sure I will get used to it since MS is forcing it on every though.

Many other things I do not like...hard to find settings, inconsistency in the OS, and just the plain blah look of the OS.

why isnt DM banned for trolling? im sure if someone was being as adamant for 7 or xp as he is about 8 his account wouldn't have been allowed to post. Also how many people work behind the DM name tag? Doesnt seem like one guy. just saying.

Actually what I just noticed is the name "Dot Matix". It's funny for a guy who is promoting change and saying we have to move forwards and can't live on old tech to have the name "Dot Matrix".

In a lot of cases Dot Matrix printers for some tasks work better than Inkjet and Lasers, which COMPLETELY goes against all he stands for :)

This isnt the place to discuss this kind of thing. If you are so worried about a user and what he/she does...then msg a mod/admin for assistance.

dont think it happens without blessings from them.

Actually what I just noticed is the name "Dot Matix". It's funny for a guy who is promoting change and saying we have to move forwards and can't live on old tech to have the name "Dot Matrix".

In a lot of cases Dot Matrix printers for some tasks work better than Inkjet and Lasers, which COMPLETELY goes against all he stands for :)

LOL yeah good observations mate.

dont think it happens without blessings from them.

LOL yeah good observations mate.

Lawered. He surely reminish carbon copy paper too!

personally the way it was done before worked just fine. We didn't have to try to activate a hidden menu on the side of the screen. It's also touchy with the mouse. Now you'll say "well just press windows key +C". But like I said before the average user is not good with hot keys. Now all they are is frustrated.

In Fact hidden menu's and full screen content SCREAMS consumption device. Which for a tablet is fine, but this is for my desktop, I don't just want to consume information I want to be productive.

Just like a cluttered workspace on a desk, I highly doubt you're productive with a cluttered workspace on a screen. Users can call up for the tools they need, when they need them, just like in any production environment.

For example, when I work in Paint.Net, I'm forever pushing the menus out of the way. That's not a smooth productive environment if you ask me.

For example, when I work in Paint.Net, I'm forever pushing the menus out of the way. That's not a smooth productive environment if you ask me.

If you think that Paint.NET is cluttered you better not try to use professional tools...

• Like 3

Just like a cluttered workspace on a desk, I highly doubt you're productive with a cluttered workspace on a screen.

Not even the same thing. This is why professionals HATE windows 8.

How can you say that and then turn around and defend the the All Apps screen or even the start screen in general.

If you think that Paint.NET is cluttered you better not try to use professional tools...

They're a nightmare. AutoCAD has gotten better since going to a Ribbon UI, though.

They're a nightmare. AutoCAD has gotten better since going to a Ribbon UI, though.

nightmare? I think you're missing that more features naturally lead to a more complex UI...

BTW: what's so complicated about Paint.NET?

I's essentially a traditional menu bar + 2 icon bars (due to my big screen I'd love to have them in one bar...) + 4 small windows...

Have a look at a (customized) IDE for really complex UIs... [complex != bad]

StartDock product Start8 was download 3+ milions time and others reporting interest for start menu app for Windows 8 speek it seelf how many people wants start manu in Windows 8!

I don't believe those numbers. When StarDock released the first version, then someone downloaded the app. Then some new versions of the Start8 app was released. And i'm pretty sure that StarDock is counting those download numbers when peoples download the updated app and the next updated version, so that's why i don't believe those numbers.

But this "Woe is me, things have changed!" crap is getting old. It's been four months since release, if you're having THAT much difficulty, then perhaps computers are not for you.

Excuse me for being alive still! This is one of the main reasons people like you just don't get it.

I've been working on and using computers long before you were probably born. So I don't like an OS you now say that I shouldn't use a computer.

One of these days when you grow up, maybe then you'll understand that not everybody fits into what you think is right.

If I was to actually say what I think of your attitude, I would get banned.

I am more than a little tired of this attitude that we must go with the flow, even if we don't like it. No one has told you to not use 8, but the people who would like to have a choice are told we have no idea what we are on about.

And just to point out to you, it's not the lack of a start menu that stops me from using Win 8. It's the fact it looks like the remnants of an abortion on my desktop. That's my opinion and no excuses you can come up will change that.

That's coming from someone who has used more OS's than I care to think about.

• Like 3

Since mass marketing the only versions of Windows I haven't really used were 1.0, 2.0, and NT 3.1 for workgroups. I've been using Windows loyally for 10 years, and I still use and love Windows 7. I'm also sick of being spoken down to because I don't place misguided loyalty in a brand and assume that I must absorb all change under the premise that all change is for the better. Usability matters are incredibly important to everyone. If you like it great. Don't denigrate those of us that don't because of your insane and tired brand loyalty.

• 9 months later...

In your opinion mate.  Stop thinking your opinion is the be all and end all because something works well for you.

No, It's useless. It's been superseded by a new launcher with greater functionality.

But of course you would say that, you're Dot Matrix! You have a certain reputation to uphold! :rofl:

Since mass marketing the only versions of Windows I haven't really used were 1.0, 2.0, and NT 3.1 for workgroups. I've been using Windows loyally for 10 years, and I still use and love Windows 7. I'm also sick of being spoken down to because I don't place misguided loyalty in a brand and assume that I must absorb all change under the premise that all change is for the better. Usability matters are incredibly important to everyone. If you like it great. Don't denigrate those of us that don't because of your insane and tired brand loyalty.

I honestly don't listen to fanboys of any kind any more. I do my thing and just let their nonsense roll off my back.

I think the Start screen has been showing its limitations since the current design was released back with Vista. The Start screen is a promising design with a lot to like. I'm not sure that the latter is most appropriately implemented as a direct replacement for the former.

I think the Start screen menu has been showing its limitations since the current design was released back with Vista. The Start screen is a promising design with a lot to like. I'm not sure that the latter is most appropriately implemented as a direct replacement for the former.

It's been showing it's limitations since at least the later XP days.

It's been showing it's limitations since at least the later XP days.

Start menus is what we need back. Start screen is totally useless and inefficient way of doing things. 

Start menus is what we need back. Start screen is totally useless and inefficient way of doing things. 

A screen that can display an unlimited amount of pinned items, update tiles in real time, and has re-sizable icons, compared to only being able to display an abysmal few pinned items, doesn't have re-sizable icons (16x16 and 32x32 icons are a sorry excuse on large displays), and is unable to accrue useful information is "inefficient?"