Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

Do you want the start menu in Windows 8  

631 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the start menu in Windows 8?

• Yes
    • No

Actually, I'm trying to prove that all of you who want the start menu back would choose the Windows 8 tablet and install a start menu replacement anyway, just like on your desktops and laptops.

As I said, neither.

Just like on your desktops and laptops? Again no, quite happy with 7.

Seems to me you really didn't prove anything except that you don't want others to have a choice.

Thats the kicker neo, for all the ones who delacare that Desktop users are simply lost souls that haven't been rounded up for the internment camps yet, they are perfectly fine on the tablet side of things. Who wouldn't pick Win8 on a slate? Its a false perspective. I would never dream of installing a Start replacement on my SurfaceRT (even if I could**).

We don't want Desktops on our tablets or tablet UIs superceeding our Desktops. All three or four device classes are utility based, we use the best tool for the job.

**Its one thing to have a half finished product you can tweak and fiddle with in the meantime, its quite another when you can't.

YES.

I've added Stardock's Start8 to my laptop system and can't imagine running Windows 8 without having a Start menu - while you can place items on the Start screen just like the shortcuts that are in the Start menu, it's easier to navigate (especially when you have a large number of programs installed...)

Yes, for a couple of reasons.

1. I wish that search results were combined.

2. Users used to having it are confused by it not existing.

3. We don't have time to train users and can't/don't want to wait to deploy new OSs.

4. Why should my apps close down or disappear when I want to do a search or look at live tiles.

Basically what you described goes against everything new technology brings. There always will be training, there always will be confusion, there always will be new things to learn. That's how the game is played.

i gave up on w8 and installed w7 again. this is probably where ill stay for now. im considering just switching over to OSX full time.

I'm confused why some of you on here expected to, or expect Microsoft to keep Windows the same. It was only a matter of time before something had to give somewhere. It doesn't take much to see that a big change to Start has been coming for some time.

You could tell the Start Menu lost value with the introduction of Search in Vista. Even more so in Windows 7 with app pinning to the taskbar. That was the death knell. Windows 7 killed the Start Menu, not Windows 8. As such, it was time for something new. Windows 8 now sets the foundation for new Windows releases for years to come. The 90's was a good decade for computing, but that time has come and gone. Our "desktop PCs" are no longer bound to the desktop. They're mobile. It's the key to today's computing, whether you want to admit it or not. Sure, people might still have a desktop, but it's nothing they're tied to. It's nothing they have any attachment to. But get between a person and their mobile device, and look out.

Desktop Windows just doesn't have the mobility to carry on much farther without major transformations. This is where the new Start comes in. Now it does. It gives Windows the mobility it needs, while slowly depreciating older features, and removing dead junk buried in the darkest of folders. Even on the desktop it's helping carry things forward as new generations adapt to new computing techniques. I've already seen kids today look at mice as if it were some foreign object. They don't know what it is, as they're growing up with smartphones and tablets. They've learned a smartphone or tablet probably before they learned a PC. They know how to touch and swipe, now all of a sudden, you're telling them to point and click?

If you want to cling to the dull, static, and boring desktop, that's your business, but in all honesty, there's no future in it. Don't expect technology companies to sit around on their asses for you. Technology is all about what's next, not what's behind. The future is in dynamics, mobility, interaction, and sensory technologies. These technologies will drive future user experiences, and system GUIs. They also pretty much guarantee the death of everything you know and love today about any desktop OS you can name. That's just how things go.

you sound like a little kid blowing a fit because people don't want what you want.

Actually, I'm trying to prove that all of you who want the start menu back would choose the Windows 8 tablet and install a start menu replacement anyway, just like on your desktops and laptops.

No I wouldn't. My gripe with Windows 8's start screen is that I work with a desktop and I don't need the start screen to be full screen. On a tablet I wouldn't need a start menu because the start screen works there, but on a desktop I find it horrid compared to the start menu.

• Like 2

all i need is to kill the Metro portion permanently, why?

i need no metro

i need no metro-apps

i have no interest in metro-crapps

the metro part of windows 8 is annoying

so, i could completely disable the metros from windows 8, its all good for me.

i need no metro

i need no metro-apps

Nice. :)

YES.

I've added Stardock's Start8 to my laptop system and can't imagine running Windows 8 without having a Start menu

I was thinking exactly the same as you and installed Start8 in the beginning. Had it for one week and i got totally rid of it, because when i found out what i actually was using the start menu for, then i found out that i could access those things i was using on my start menu much easier by using shortcuts on my keyboard. So the start menu was more in the way than it would help.

It's faster and more easier by using shortcuts if you want to learn that.

you sound like a little kid blowing a fit because people don't want what you want.

Doesn't change the fact that he told the truth.

i need no metro

i need no metro-apps

There are a few ways of doing that now

The poll currently shows over 50% of voters at a predominately pro-microsoft forum (aka neoWIN) are in favor of having the start menu back.

I figured it would only reach 20% at the most due to the constant attacks and other hostilities from the microsoft zealots who think forcing metro onto everyone is a good thing, this poll must be very humiliating.

I love microsoft products but a bad decision is a bad decision, windows 8 has completely flopped at the retail level because of the bad decision to force metro onto people who want a new pc and microsoft will soon be paying a terrible price as retail sales of windows 8 machines have literally hit a brick wall.

The poll currently shows over 50% of voters at a predominately pro-microsoft forum (aka neoWIN) are in favor of having the start menu back.

I figured it would only reach 20% at the most due to the constant attacks and other hostilities from the microsoft zealots who think forcing metro onto everyone is a good thing, this poll must be very humiliating.

I love microsoft products but a bad decision is a bad decision, windows 8 has completely flopped at the retail level because of the bad decision to force metro onto people who want a new pc and microsoft will soon be paying a terrible price as retail sales of windows 8 machines have literally hit a brick wall.

Windows 8 is not in any points worser than Windows 7. It's just that alot of peoples here doesn't want to learn new things in an OS that is faster and safer than Windows 7.

If peoples would learn the different keyboard shortcuts in Windows 8, then they would actually see that they can use the same things that they use the start menu for in a much faster and easier way.

Even my mon (who is pretty bad at computers) doesn't even see the point in the start menu after i have learned her how to use the new shortcuts and stuffs in Windows 8.

You know, I don't want the start menu back, I've gotten used to the new Start Screen and I actually quite like it.

After months of using the Start Screen on my standard desktop PC (and for a long time, quite liking it), today, I decided that I almost never use it and find it kinda pointless (for me).

It was a nice novelty for a while but with the lack of decent apps (by my definition, something that is useful to me in particular) it doesn't offer me anything that I can't get on the desktop which is better.

So, I've installed start8 but I'd rather have a native option.

My answer is yes. Even if I didn't care, it'd still be a nice option to fall back on to.

And fyi, I do know how to use it, quite well. I even use the task switcher automatically and the charms bars etc. I know how to group stuff, install stuff, remove stuff, pin stuff, the whole works. I just decided it's a bit overkill to have an entire screen as a launcher and the apps are still lacking.

• Like 2

I just got a call from a customer who got a new computer (just set it up for her today in fact) She ordered a Dell Optiplex (she didn't ask me when she ordered it just told me she bought a new one) She got the Optiplex because that was one of the only ones she said dell sold that had Windows 7. She told me she did not want to order 8 because she heard a lot of bad things about it.

I keep hearing this over and over and over again. Windows 8 does have a bad rep among consumers. Regardless of whether the bad rep is deserving or not, it's there.

Most of the time if I ask them about windows 8 they tell me it's for touch screens.

I bought a Windows 8 PC for my folks, they would have returned it if I didn't buy the start menu replacement app. They trigged the metro UI once somehow and called me right away to "fix it" as they couldnt get back to the desktop.

None of the apps they use are metro UI, they are all accounting apps made for XP that barely run on 7 even.

I personally will not spend money to upgrade from 7 to 8, as I would probably still be fine with XP TBH.

I think I would probably install it on my home PC (running it at work already) if I could have the start menu back! I just don't get / feel / like / believe that the live tiles based Start Screen and, most importantly, full screen Start Screen based apps is the way forward on the desktop at all. That's my personal feeling / preference and I don't expect anyone else to agree with it but just giving my reason for my poll vote!

• Like 3