Removed xp laptop from domain

So a friend had a laptop from a college with xp on. I removed it from the domain and it began uninstalling a load of 'managed' apps such as office. I've never came across this before so does anyone know how the name of this feature or how to configure this behavior on any domained laptop?

I have not seen gpo uninstall when disjoined. It probably is some sort of license management client that is doing that. Which one, who knows, there are a few. You may not even have access to the client, could be a dll or exe that is hidden from task manager an no uninstaller in add remove programs.

they could have script that the domain server sends during the disjoin function that tells it to remove certain apps.

they could have script that the domain server sends during the disjoin function that tells it to remove certain apps.

I wasn't connected to the network when I disjoined

It's normal if the installation was performed by group policy membership (Since removing the laptop from the domain, you not longer fulfil the group policy requirements) or via an SCCM advertised install. No extra scripts are necessary.

You would of course be better reinstalling the OS as you probably no longer adhere to the licensing agreement used for that copy of Windows XP.