Beef price spike makes $1 McDouble harder to stomach

Do a search pink slim chicken nuggets.

since you belive most any claim, I am a prince ousted from my African country. I have $100,000,000 in an account that i need help accessing. I will pay you $5,000,000 if you can help me. First, we need my lawyer released from the federal prison in my home country. Once he is released, he knows the code for getting the money out. To get him out of jail, we need $10,000 US dollars. You can send it to them by Western Union. PM me for more details.
  • Like 1

I could be alone in saying this, but I like Mcdonalds. Even if they upped the price by 10 or 20 cents, its still a great price.

Economically, the prices are okay, but over here in the UK you could spend an extra ?1-2 and get a full pub lunch and soft drink. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it for not having to deal with the screaming kids and flying/squished fries everywhere.

Yes, I am assuming a little but do you think they would of just limited the use of that to the beef?

you do realize what the media-termed "pink slime" is right? I have worked in a beef processing plant and this "pink-slime" is just beef that didn't come off in one big chunky piece. And with chicken, it doesn't work. People should stop spreading fear.

you do realize what the media-termed "pink slime" is right? I have worked in a beef processing plant and this "pink-slime" is just beef that didn't come off in one big chunky piece.

It's not "just" beef that didn't come off in one piece - it's extracted using centrifuges and processed with ammonia to make it fit for human consumption. When people buy meat that's simply not what they're expecting and that's one of the reasons it's banned in many countries.

It's not "just" beef that didn't come off in one piece - it's extracted using centrifuges and processed with ammonia to make it fit for human consumption. When people buy meat that's simply not what they're expecting and that's one of the reasons it's banned in many countries.

Not like what you are picturing. And don't get scared by the ammonia. You eat it everyday and don't even know it.

Here are 10 foods with more ammonia than your slimy, slimy burger:

• Cheese. Oh my god, cheese is like an ammonia warehouse. Domestic bleu cheese topped the list with 0.138 grams of ammonia per 100 grams, but cheddar (0.11), beer cheese (0.092), American cheese (0.081), and a couple types I?ve never heard of all ranked.

• Salami, 0.11 grams of ammonia per 100 grams.

• Peanut butter, 0.049 grams per 100.

• Mayonnaise, 0.041 grams per 100.

• Ketchup, 0.035.

• Gelatin, 0.034.

• Onions, 0.027.

• Potato chips, 0.024, though I imagine the brand and flavor would matter.

• Brewer?s yeast, 0.022.

• Margarine, 0.021

Foods High in Ammonia (per 100g edible portion)

(Reuters) - McDonald's popular $1 McDouble cheeseburger, which has lured customers to the Golden Arches since 2008, is getting hard to sustain as rising beef prices threaten the company's profit margin.

The world's biggest restaurant chain launched a competing $1 Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger in December. It also made the new sandwich - with one beef patty rather than the McDouble's two - a star of current television commercials, a status it shares with the McDouble.

The dilemma for McDonald's Corp (MCD.N) restaurant operators is that the McDouble has the highest ingredient costs on the Dollar Menu, making it a bad financial proposition unless customers add high-margin sides such as french fries or soda.

"If the McDouble is all the customer buys, you lose money," said Richard Adams, a former franchisee who now advises the chain's restaurant operators. "Depending on what happens to beef prices, McDonald's management should be open to taking the McDouble off the Dollar Menu."

The decision would be a significant one. McDonald's gets 10 to 15 percent of its sales from the Dollar Menu and experts say the McDouble is one of the most popular items on it.

Many franchisees, who pay royalties to the parent company based on overall sales, have exercised their option to move the McDouble off the Dollar Menu by raising its price over $1.

more

that's weird, it isn't really beef. They even used pink slime in their burgers which they claimed to have stopped.

Well that's what it used to be. McDonalds and Burger King both sold double cheeseburgers for $1. Obviously, Burger King's were far better, but they both made the move to a double cheeseburger with one slice of cheese claiming cheese prices were too high.

It still is that way with me.

I sneak in my own slice of cheese, and order a microwaved sandwich.

Just not really good without the extra cheese. :p

Not like what you are picturing. And don't get scared by the ammonia. You eat it everyday and don't even know it.

I'm not scared by it, nor did I suggest that ammonia doesn't occur naturally in other products, but it's not what people expect when they're buying meat. When I buy products containing meat I expect it to be processed like it would be by a butcher - that is, proper meat cut from the bone. If that can be automated then that's great but I do not think it's appropriate to extract meat that is typically unfit for human consumption and apply chemicals just to make it safe, especially when it's being done to increase profits rather than to benefit consumers. At the very least it should be disclosed to consumers, who can at least make an informed decision for themselves. Clearly consumers were not happy with the process, which is why the 'pink slime' scandal led to factories being shut down and some companies being declared bankrupt.

The trouble is that so many of the changes to how food is processed occur without consumer knowledge. For instance, many people in the US aren't even aware that a lot of their products contain genetically modified crops because there isn't any requirement to label it like there is in the EU. It's very difficult for consumers to avoid something when they don't even know it exists, as the horse meat and pink slime scandals demonstrated.

I'm not scared by it, nor did I suggest that ammonia doesn't occur naturally in other products, but it's not what people expect when they're buying meat. When I buy products containing meat I expect it to be processed like it would be by a butcher - that is, proper meat cut from the bone.

You could be misinformed about this pink slime. In the processing plant I worked at, the "media-labeled-pink-slime" is simply left over meat that the meatcutters didn't get. look at this photo (stock)... see the meat left over? After a the meat cutters were done with their cuts (prime, and basic) the bones from the animal, in this case cattle, would go to the person that would "brush" off the extra meat left over that you see in the photo on the ends as seen in the picture.

http://stock-image.mediafocus.com/images/previews/bone-with-meat-ds112259131.jpg

this meat can range is size from chunks of an inch to as small as small can get. This meat is then all ground together, and because it has typically less RED colored meat, it comes off looking "pinkish". The product then can be mixed with with other meat like your all-beef hot dogs because is in fact ALL BEEF. Just not the bright red color which is actually only red because of myoglobin. This meat is 100% safe for human just as much as your T-bone steak. I do know people get grossed out easy, but there is nothing gross about it.

People should stop spreading fear.

Nope, not spreading fear. If anyone is fearful, their fault. I just choose not to eat it. Whether it be that the pink goo is fine for you, or not. I dont like the before and it tturned me off to them. That is why I choose not to eat it.

And sure you do. Just look at the ingredients list. Bam, instant knowledge.

And I bet a bunch of other people thought the same thing recently....until it was proven they were eating horse meat. :)

The thing is, most people don't stop at a $1 McDouble, Most do add fries and a drink to that. I doubt McDonald's is losing any money despite what they want us to believe.

And I bet a bunch of other people thought the same thing recently....until it was proven they were eating horse meat. :)

As a result of either gross incompetence or deliberate criminal activity, not because of a flaw in the labelling requirements.