Opera announces 'gradual transition' to WebKit for desktop and mobi

Then how can you justify your criticism of Opera? Why should everyone else have to carry the burden while you sit around on the sidelines and tell everyone else to "do the right thing"?

You read my posts with the wrong context in mind. I was not criticising Opera for changing their rendering engine. I was criticising Boz' idea that there should only be 1 standardized rendering engine to be used by all major browsers. That is the complete opposite. I want Opera to be free to use the rendering engine they prefer.

one rendering engine = no competition

You need competition to make developers develop.

When the race is over, everybody stops running...

I think I agree with that. The idea of one rendering engine sounds good but in the real world innovation would stop and competition would cease.

You read my posts with the wrong context in mind. I was not criticising Opera for changing their rendering engine. I was criticising Boz' idea that there should only be 1 standardized rendering engine to be used by all major browsers. That is the complete opposite. I want Opera to be free to use the rendering engine they prefer.

What's the issue then? Switching to Blink was a choice, they weren't coerced into doing it.

• Like 1

I see. Sorry for the confusion.

Opera has made some decent innovations over the years, so freeing up developers to work on the client itself could be a good thing for browser competition. It's unfortunate that Opera never managed to gain a critical mass, as that meant web developers never took it seriously. On the few times I tried to run it as my default browser I repeatedly came across sites that didn't support it properly.