Texas teen sues parents to stop them from forcing her abortion [Updated]

Doesn't seem right that the parents should pay anything for the baby.

But then I guess it would get shifted on to the general taxpayers ...

I'm wondering why the father's family aren't being required to meet some of the costs too. It takes two to tango, after all.

I'm assuming that the father is underage too, of course. If he isn't, then not only should he be footing the bill, but he should probably be getting arrested too...

She's most likely on her parents insurance, and most plans will deny maternity benefits to dependents so her parents would have to pay the entire bill.

that's incorrect, when you are a dependent of a subscribers plan, you get the same benefits as the subscriber, she would get the same full maternity coverage as the subscriber. This was a change to the health care laws, dependent children have full maternity coverage until the age of 26 and before that change it only had an exclusion for "adult children dependents" aka after the age of 18 (or 21 depending on state laws).. so she would of been covered under the old law also

HA, this happened exactly as I said it would. Not only do the parents get no say, they are forced to pay for it.

I hope the parents put it up for adoption the second it's born. If they are forced or banned from doing that, I hope the daughter is forced to pay it all back,.

that's incorrect, when you are a dependent of a subscribers plan, you get the same benefits as the subscriber, she would get the same full maternity coverage as the subscriber. This was a change to the health care laws, dependent children have full maternity coverage until the age of 26 and before that change it only had an exclusion for "adult children dependents" aka after the age of 18 (or 21 depending on state laws).. so she would of been covered under the old law also

The article I posted was from late 2012 which said some insurance companies / plans will not cover maternity benefits for dependents. Healthcare is covered now until you're 26 but maternity may not be.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

That's pathetic. Why should they be responsible for it? They don't even want the baby.

The kid wants the baby so much, tell her to find a way to pay for it herself.

I'm wondering why the father's family aren't being required to meet some of the costs too. It takes two to tango, after all.

I'm assuming that the father is underage too, of course. If he isn't, then not only should he be footing the bill, but he should probably be getting arrested too...

The father is 16 too and is most likely not going to want anything to do with the baby. He will eventually have to pay child support though.

The article I posted was from late 2012 which said some insurance companies / plans will not cover maternity benefits for dependents. Healthcare is covered now until you're 26 but maternity may not be.

That's pathetic. Why should they be responsible for it? They don't even want the baby.

The kid wants the baby so much, tell her to find a way to pay for it herself.

The father is 16 too and is most likely not going to want anything to do with the baby. He will eventually have to pay child support though.

I was one of those "fortunate" ones that had to read the new healthcare law page by page being in the healthcare industry writing claims software, it is covered now for child dependents

I was one of those "fortunate" ones that had to read the new healthcare law page by page being in the healthcare industry writing claims software, it is covered now for child dependents

Doesn't the new healthcare law go into effect 2014? Or do insurance companies have to start making changes now?

Doesn't the new healthcare law go into effect 2014? Or do insurance companies have to start making changes now?

Changes are incremental each year more goes into effect, they started a while ago dependents up till the age of 26 was one of the first changes

How long did it take you read it?