So today I dared installing Ubuntu + Steam for Linux...(Warning: tears)

So what you're saying is... it's "this giant sadness" ;)

LOL... and all this over a hat

I actually just did a fresh install of ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop and tested installing/running steam there. In 12.10 at least everything seems to work perfectly. I opened the software center, installed steam automagically with no issues, and played some tf2. I was surprised how well tf2 played on this laptop's integrated ivybridge graphics too, I was getting 60 fps on a mix of med/low.

I actually forgot to say I installed not Ubuntu 12.04 like written in the steam discussion but 12.10. The problem appears to be on both. I tried again just a few minutes ago (after, of course, checking for updates), same result:

thtJQ3c.png

Did you happen to install 32bit Ubuntu? Or did you install Steam before updating the distro?

Try it with ATI moble graphics and you will regret wasteing your time. I tried to get everything working on my laptop with a fairly high end ATI moble chip and the video drivers from ATI choaked every time they tried to run, same went for the drivers from the Ubuntu repos. I managed to get TF2 running without them and the game was totaly unplayable but I did manage to get the free Tux addon.

Oh yea and this is a HP business class notebook advertised as supporting Linux and according to AMD/ATI the chipset is supported in linux yet no one has yet been able to make there broken drivers work, you just have to love the idiots at AMD.

I actually forgot to say I installed not Ubuntu 12.04 like written in the steam discussion but 12.10. The problem appears to be on both. I tried again just a few minutes ago (after, of course, checking for updates), same result:

thtJQ3c.png

Did you happen to install 32bit Ubuntu? Or did you install Steam before updating the distro?

thats definitely pretty odd. I was able to do a totally clean install of 12.10 64-bit on my laptop, and I was able to go right into the software center and install it with zero errors... No idea why it wouldn't work for you. I installed steam after installing all ubuntu updates.

thats pretty odd. I just did a totally clean install of 12.10 on my laptop, and I was able to go right into the software center and install it with zero errors... No idea why it wouldn't work for you.

Maybe Ubuntu pulled some updates that were causing trouble? I made sure I installed all the updates before attempting to install Steam. Also the issue is only on x64 builds, if you have x86 Ubuntu Steam should install effortlessly.

Maybe Ubuntu pulled some updates that were causing trouble? I made sure I installed all the updates before attempting to install Steam. Also the issue is only on x64 builds, if you have x86 Ubuntu Steam should install effortlessly.

I installed all updates before doing so (and edited my post to reflect that and that I installed 64-bit)

I installed all updates before doing so (and edited my post to reflect that and that I installed 64-bit)

I tried again and also cleared all the apt cache to make sure it wasn't reusing the same steam package but still the same result. Maybe they really pulled some updates that were causing this or maybe the software center was doing something required for the install but it didn't complete since it crashed. I'll wait for a couple of days and then if they don't fix it I'll just install x86 and try there.

This seems to be just an attempt at a flame war.

It's clearly a conspiracy. The digital bits of the hats were wearing out due to excessive downloading and Valve had to intervene to avoid running out of digital copies of the hat that would have been our sole defense against the invasion of some crazy fish aliens from space mortally afraid of penguins.