Why is marketing ignored as a major factor?

I think this year will be big for MS products. Why? Because they're doing 'cool' advertising and putting a lot of effort into it (supply issues aside...)

This is just my view of the situation.

Apple got huge because they went big on advertising their products as being cool. Big gamble, paid off. There were better devices at the time of the first iPod, but no one else did simple ads with bold colours and catchy tunes to sell theirs. Apple had no competition in that space.

From all the comment sections I read us geeks all seem to think the 'average user' looks for specific features and specs when purchasing, and a killer feature is what sells. I personally think most people just pick something they're familiar with, something that stands out visually or just ask the store person which is the best, at which point they generally just get directed to the most popular product.

MS are now doing an apple, flashy ads with cool looking devices, dancing and suitable tune. My wife has a Surface RT and Lumina 920, because she wanted the 'laptop with the pink keyboard' and the 'bright yellow phone.' Her requirements are facebook and the internet, which were the only questions asked. I confirmed those things would work and so decision made.

Apple on the other hand are using the same ads, similar looking devices and pushing one or two features that mostly do nothing. I see it as their magic charm wearing off.

Android I think took off because a) the market was flooded with devices, worldwide and b) they went big (physically) and found a want for it. I say that was mostly just because they stood out: 'ooh that phone is bigger!' etc and I believe that's when the popularity took off.

So, I think MS are now being the cool guys. Big advertising, striking devices in appearance, a unique UI look and finally starting to get a proper presence (stores, Nokia). They just need to get the production line into gear. From all the stores I called in Melbourne looking for my wife's 920, they all said the same thing: demand was huge for the Nokia Lumias but they didn't have stock. Assuming they get the stock flowing properly soon, this year should be strong for them.

2013 will be very interesting, particularly if a) MS start shipping quantity, b) Apple don't do something spectacular and c) BlackBerry get some traction. Would be great to see a four way battle for our money with Android, Apple, BB and MS all around 25% at year end.

Of course, the problem is convincing a company to spend the money for advertising. It's THE most important part of any business (aside from it being a useful business) and it's often way overlooked. And when you finally get a company to say, "Alright, let's run some ads", they want to squeeze as much crap into it as possible thinking people will read it and use god awful star-bursts with prices in them or worse yet "SALE" in all big letters (because that doesn't make your crap look cheap).

Ah the woes of being a Designer, eh?

Anyways, off topic a tad. Yes, I agree with you!

I think part of it is that MS decided to go all in. Realizing that they could be locked out of important markets, they threw as much money at the problem as makes sense. Not surprisingly, their multibillion dollar marketing budget is making some waves.

A lot of people agree that Apple is getting stale. They surely have a loyal fan base, but how future proof is their brand? Upcoming Windows, Android, or even console products might bring that into question. It all depends on what Apple can really offer in the coming years. Will it be a new generation or another simple product refresh?

Microsoft has always made some very unique advertisements for their products. The route they took with Windows Phone is unique too. And really, that's their strong suit. WP8 devices have colour and that's what people want. They don't want the same old black smartphone. They want something that stands out and they want an OS that looks great too. Apple's skeumorphic design isn't cutting it anymore. And their "industrial" design is getting old. Naturally, people will consider new phones and a lot of them are considering Android devices from Samsung and HTC. But, they're also considering Windows Phone thanks to Nokia (and HTC, to a degree).

Also, Samsung seems to have gone all out with their ads. In a lot of them, they're taking a jab at Apple but recent ones have included jabs at BlackBerry. I honestly see that as friendly competition. I think more companies should advertise features unique to their devices. And the more competition, the better it is for the consumer.