Windows 7 still being sold on up to 93% of British PCs

Yep, only these online stores think sell them still. Would it still be easy to get Windows 7 Licences? If not, they how long will this last?

I can confirm as of right now, (Check time I posted this statement) Ebay UK is still selling windows 7 new OS install disks

People at work are not loving 8, and they are not basing it on techie friends opinions either. I dont know if Ive almost bribed myself in 8 as i got quite a bit of new software and apps around the time of getting 8 and i have only installed them on 8 so it kind of gives it lots of features 7 doesn't have. The only problem is I still miss parts of 7 and on occasion find myself using my laptop now instead of my main desktop just so i can get things done with 7.

8 is hard work, and it shouldn't be. It needs improving.

Yep, only these online stores think sell them still. Would it still be easy to get Windows 7 Licences? If not, they how long will this last?

I don't think Windows 7 is going to be hosed for a while yet but retail licenses are pretty expensive.

Unless they come up with a DX12/13 only on Win 8 or have a sexy touch screen for it, there's absolutely no reason to bother with it for those that use Windows 7. The touch+apps things should've been a choice during install.

once you get used to Windows 8 it's ok. I like reading the news from the modern UI. But I could live without it. but. it's there s why not get yer monies worth out of it?

once you get used to Windows 8 it's ok. I like reading the news from the modern UI. But I could live without it. but. it's there s why not get yer monies worth out of it?

I kinda enjoyed some of Metro, but the actual OS bugs plagued me so much I was not enjoying my time on the PC any more, once I reinstalled 7 it felt like I just stopped battering myself around the head to use my machine

The whole UI is just awkward to navigate, and I did spend a long time trying to get used to it

http://www.forbes.co...indows-8-sales/

go around and search,theres a ton of these articles about windows 8 touch devices being in high demand. Dell said these devices are in high demand. HP just came out recently and said things are starting to ramp up with windows 8 and its devices.

When Forbes published an article that spoke negatively about windows 8 many of the zealots quickly came to the conclusion that Forbes is not a credible source and should not be trusted.

Also, Dell has no credibility at all when it comes to microsoft products since they are in bed with microsoft.

• Like 1

I kinda enjoyed some of Metro, but the actual OS bugs plagued me so much I was not enjoying my time on the PC any more, once I reinstalled 7 it felt like I just stopped battering myself around the head to use my machine

The whole UI is just awkward to navigate, and I did spend a long time trying to get used to it

Some bugs are from legacy and won't be fixed. My bug that kills all Modern UI hyperlinks was cause by icon software Micrangelo OnDisplay. It was the Shell Context Menu Handler CLSID entry. Disable the Context Menu Handler, delete Micraongelo's CLSID, and hyperlink functionality restored.

I'm sure that's one that will never get fixed. Would be nice if MS let you customize all icons without such a tool. I doubt Microangelo OnDisplay is ever upgraded for Windows 8. But with the shell menu tool I can enable disable the context menu as needed. Once you're all customize it's not really necessary.

I agree that back and forth is awkward and if it bugs you, it's not of a nature you ever get used to. I suggest Star8 or another Start Menu alternative. For me the $4.99 is a non-issue as I got all my Win8 Pro's at 14.99 ( I had a new desktop, laptop, and borrowed a friends 7 license). But for anyone paying full price, I wouldn't want to pay another 5 either.

I don't think Windows 7 is going to be hosed for a while yet but retail licenses are pretty expensive.

Look how long XP hung around. 7 is twice as good as that. When the 8 buzz dies, and it will if apps don't come, if a Zune 8/iTunes equivalent doesn't come, and if Surface fails with consumers, the buzz will die. That doesn't mean 8 will fail, it will not, but it won't really do anything great as it relates to the hype. Hopefully Blue and 9 will right some wrongs or oversights.

I think it's a very telling sign that there's so much talk about Blue and Windows 9, less than 4 months after 8, WP8, and Surface's release.

• Like 1

Some bugs are from legacy and won't be fixed. My bug that kills all Modern UI hyperlinks was cause by icon software Micrangelo OnDisplay. It was the Shell Context Menu Handler CLSID entry. Disable the Context Menu Handler, delete Micraongelo's CLSID, and hyperlink functionality restored.

I'm sure that's one that will never get fixed. Would be nice if MS let you customize all icons without such a tool. I doubt Microangelo OnDisplay is ever upgraded for Windows 8. But with the shell menu tool I can enable disable the context menu as needed. Once you're all customize it's not really necessary.

I agree that back and forth is awkward and if it bugs you, it's not of a nature you ever get used to. I suggest Star8 or another Start Menu alternative. For me the $4.99 is a non-issue as I got all my Win8 Pro's at 14.99 ( I had a new desktop, laptop, and borrowed a friends 7 license). But for anyone paying full price, I wouldn't want to pay another 5 either.

Yep, I found nothing in 8 that I missed in 7, I have a genuine license for both and chose 7, I have literally no complaints for Win 7, and not enough paper to complain about 8

As more new Windows 8 hardware comes to market and the older Windows 7 systems dry up in the channel the numbers will switch.

Putting aside the "marmite" metro UI of Windows 8 which is easily avoidable given the tiniest amount of effort, Windows 8's underlying OS is superior to 7. This isn't opinion, this is fact. Don't deny yourselves the simply better OS out of some stubborn principled stand against metro. Just install a freeware app and essentially turn it off and have an OS that functions like 7, but better.

Footnote: For those who don't know what marmite is, it's a yeast extract that you spread onto toast that is marketed with the slogan "love it or hate it".

Disclaimer: Personally, I love metro. Especially as I have a Surface RT where it works extremely well. On my desktop I rarely use Metro, but its nice to have if I wan't to play some of the cool time wasting games available on it, or watch something on Netflix for example.

Putting aside the "marmite" metro UI of Windows 8 which is easily avoidable given the tiniest amount of effort, Windows 8's underlying OS is superior to 7. This isn't opinion, this is fact. Don't deny yourselves the simply better OS out of some stubborn principled stand against metro. Just install a freeware app and essentially turn it off and have an OS that functions like 7, but better.

Footnote: For those who don't know what marmite is, it's a yeast extract that you spread onto toast that is marketed with the slogan "love it or hate it".

Disclaimer: Personally, I love metro. Especially as I have a Surface RT where it works extremely well. On my desktop I rarely use Metro, but its nice to have if I wan't to play some of the cool time wasting games available on it, or watch something on Netflix for example.

I don't mind Metro. But some of it is irritating, such as Search which Star8 does eliminate. But many, like me, don't like installing 3rd party apps, but in this case, it's well worth it and high quality. You should not dismiss the irritation the hybrid UI causes some people. I agree you can get around it with Start8 and similar tools. Even with it, it can be cumbersome with Metro. Nothing you can do about it. For me, since this is rare, the increased performance and benefits of Windows 8 DE are well worth it.

I also agree the Modern UI Netflix is very nice, unfortunately I forget to use it and just use a browser unless I'm on my Surface RT where it is sublime. Pinball FX 2 is also quite nice in Modern UI with a wireless Xbox Gamepad. ITECTURE's Package Tracker is probably the best Modern App, takes advantage of everything, notifications, lock screen notifications, live tile, cloud sync with Surface version, just excellent. Lync Modern UI is also excellent. Still need to play Gunstringer to get some free Gamerscore.

I have my Digital Storm Bolt but haven't moved my system over to it. I was going to do a clean install but figured out the Modern UI hyperlink problem so I'll just move over, that's a weekend thing.

Personally, I recommend Windows 8 w/Start8 for everyone, but having experienced the "severe" irritation of Modern UI Search, lack of in-place context sensitive menus, no folders on Start Page, and the granddaddy of all abomination, Xbox Music App, I won't dismiss anyone's displeasure with Windows 8. After all, to sync my Windows Phone 8 I have to use Windows Media Player classic. The result of that, since I have to do all this work to get playlists and music to sync with Windows Phone 8 on Windows 8, I'm going to give the new HTC the One a shot. That thing looks sweet!

Metro isn't my only concern. My USB devices actually function properly on Windows 7 ;)

When Forbes published an article that spoke negatively about windows 8 many of the zealots quickly came to the conclusion that Forbes is not a credible source and should not be trusted.

Also, Dell has no credibility at all when it comes to microsoft products since they are in bed with microsoft.

the forbes page is not an article of opinion. its a report from an analyst about sales facts that happened.

so everyone who deals with Microsoft is not credible? first Microsoft is lying about sales, then dell, then hp. thanks for the laugh,but facts are facts

All you can say is Windows 7 for the win. The people have spoken. :p

Seriously?

This is a sensationalist headline if I ever saw one. It's misleading as it's 93% of PCs from ONE company.

"One company told PC Pro it was still selling 93% of its machines with Windows 7 installed."

Are people going to just ignore the above statement because it doesn't fit with their 'Bash Windows 8 at all costs' mentality?

People should rightfully have their own opinions of everything but when you go out of your way to bash a product/company, you may want to re-evaluate your life.

All you can say is Windows 7 for the win. The people have spoken. :p

When Vista/7 released people were like XP is king, there's no need to upgrade.

When XP released people were like 2000 is king, XP is pathetic and there's no need to upgrade.

If MS listened to the people everytime they made a new OS we'd still be on 3.1.

• Like 2

When you go to Alienware and build a PC / Laptop it gives you 7 by default, there is an option for 8 which is free.

Maybe people still love 7.

It's the same for many of the business systems from Dell.

thats happens because peoples who buy PC with W8 pre-installed, are comeback asking to install W7 on it instead,

very likely those same peoples began voicing their opinion that influence a lot other peoples that demand their new PC were installed with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.

and stores which hear or experience it follow suit ...

• Like 1

the forbes page is not an article of opinion. its a report from an analyst about sales facts that happened.

so everyone who deals with Microsoft is not credible? first Microsoft is lying about sales, then dell, then hp. thanks for the laugh,but facts are facts

You can spin Forbes any way you like, I'm just pointing out the glaring and obvious hypocrisy of it all, also I only mentioned Dell and nobody else.

^ Maybe Microsoft will finally listen.

As long as that arrogant idiot Ballmer is in charge don't expect anything to change, they will never listen to their customers.