Ubuntu just announced a tablet OS

Shaun N.

With unique multitasking productivity, effortless navigation and defence-ready security, Ubuntu raises the bar on tablet design and sets a new standard for the post-PC era. Bright. Brilliant. Beautiful. And naturally neat.

Source: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet

• Like 1
Detection

Ooh, that could be something pretty great, guys at XDA have been porting Ubuntu to the TF101 but so far it is not good enough for a daily for me to wipe my Droid yet

LaP

I think they have a better chance of succeeding in the tablet market than the phone market. Gotta be hard tough.

Looking really great.

Dot Matrix

So with Microsoft creating Metro for its platforms, and Canonical creating Unity for its platforms, anyone else still not believe me, when I say this stuff isn't going away?

It won't be long before Google and Apple follow suit.

TheLegendOfMart

Looks like a Nexus 10 with Ubuntu OS on, love the look of the OS very slick.

• Like 1
Shaun N.

Splitscreen looks familiar.

It can be lose or static, I prefer the way Ubuntu did it compared to Windows 8

• Like 1
firey

So with Microsoft creating Metro for its platforms, and Canonical creating Unity for its platforms, anyone else still not believe me, when I say this stuff isn't going away?

Unity still has icons and docks and various other desktop-esque features. Also a tablet/phone != Desktop there is much more limited processing and screen space. So no one questioned how things on a tablet would be as full screen single process devices were around long before windows did metro.

Metro on Desktop is still a no-go for long term use in my opinion.

• Like 1
Brandon H

i quite like it, it looks promising

and also makes me wish the Padfone (2 or 3 when it inevitably comes out) would come to the US already

TheLegendOfMart

It can be lose or static, I prefer the way Ubuntu did it compared to Windows 8

It also does charms/gestures better than Windows 8 as well, swipe from left gets you access to all the apps without taking up full screen, swipe down from top right gives you access to messages, settings etc.. while holding and swiping horizontally to select.

I'd love to give this OS a go.

• Like 1
Arceles

I can say that I look forward to a Ubuntu phone version for my xt890....

• Like 1
siah1214

It also does charms/gestures better than Windows 8 as well, swipe from left gets you access to all the apps without taking up full screen, swipe down from top right gives you access to messages, settings etc.. while holding and swiping horizontally to select.

I'd love to give this OS a go.

User preference. Swipe from left on Surface gets you the apps you're running now. It's a fantastic system. And I'd hate my Surface without search and share charm functionality, I seriously depend on it now.

nub

Am I correct in assuming Netflix will never be available for this?

firey

Considering there is netflix for android, and I am pretty sure Netflix does work on Ubuntu it should work.

Chasethebase

Fixed the thread title, since the hardware is a Nexus 10.

Looks really slick and smooth. (Y)

The Evil Overlord

Lol is it called 'android'?

Sorry, had to do it.

matt4pack

Does this run on ARM or x86? Don't really see anything great about it and we already have a linux based tablet os. Not sure we need another.

techbeck

Ooh, that could be something pretty great, guys at XDA have been porting Ubuntu to the TF101 but so far it is not good enough for a daily for me to wipe my Droid yet

I did not know that. Still have my TF101. What problems does Ubuntu have on it?

Noir Angel

Canonical aren't stupid enough to force it upon their desktop OS and make it impossible for users to get rid of. Unity is by no means great but I still find it to be a lot more usable than Metro, but Ubuntu are still developing for tablets and smartphones separately as they actually seem to realise that bastardisation isn't a good idea.

• Like 3
Detection

I did not know that. Still have my TF101. What problems does Ubuntu have on it?

Last time I checked, they had no hardware acceleration for the UI and there were issues with audio iirc, that was a while ago though so things might have been fixed since then

The instructions to flash it were fairly time consuming too and required an old Android ROM to act as dualboot too,

Something about having to boot into recovery to boot Ubuntu too, enough to put me off

TheLegendOfMart

User preference. Swipe from left on Surface gets you the apps you're running now. It's a fantastic system. And I'd hate my Surface without search and share charm functionality, I seriously depend on it now.

Yeah sorry I meant launch apps, not the apps running.

Brandon H

Canonical aren't stupid enough to force it upon their desktop OS and make it impossible for users to get rid of. Unity is by no means great but I still find it to be a lot more usable than Metro, but Ubuntu are still developing for tablets and smartphones separately as they actually seem to realise that bastardisation isn't a good idea.

and better yet. as the video stated the UI steps up to the tablet UI if you plug your phone into a tablet (like you can do with the tabfone) then steps up again to the Unity desktop if you connect a keyboard and mouse

this is a concept that i really like and am glad they are finally implementing it

• Like 1
techbeck

Last time I checked, they had no hardware acceleration for the UI and there were issues with audio iirc, that was a while ago though so things might have been fixed since then

The instructions to flash it were fairly time consuming too and required an old Android ROM to act as dualboot too,

Something about having to boot into recovery to boot Ubuntu too, enough to put me off

Yea, screw that. Doesnt sound like it is worth the trouble. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      How to create encrypted partitions on Linux with GNOME Disks
      by Paul Hill

Some of most popular Linux distributions including Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora come with a disk and partition manager tool called GNOME Disks, a tool developed by the GNOME project. While it’s packed with features, one interesting capability that’s a bit tucked away is disk encryption; this can be used to create secure partitions on your hard drive or create an encrypted USB device.

In this short guide, I will show you how to create an encrypted USB stick. One of the drawbacks to encrypting the device using this method is that you'll be limited to what file system you use. To get started, go to your application menu and search or look for GNOME Disks, it might just be called Disks. If you don’t see it anywhere, then you’ll have to head to your package manager and do a search for it.

GNOME Disks showing multiple partitions on a USB stick Once you’ve opened GNOME Disks, you’ll need to plug in the USB device that you want to encrypt. The encryption process will wipe the device so be absolutely sure that you’ve backed up any important data.

When you plugged in your USB device, you should have seen it pop-up on the left-hand pane, if you didn’t, unplug the device and plug it in again. Once you see it, select it. At this point, you can keep the existing partitions intact and just format one of them or you can format the entire device, create a new partition, and encrypt everything.

The dialog box that appears once you choose to format the disk If you want to format everything, just press the three-dot menu button in the top right of GNOME Disks and select ‘Format Disk’ and feel free to adjust the erasure and partitioning options as you see fit. Once you're happy, hit ‘Format’ and then ‘Format’ again on the confirmation box. Once that’s done, you should see a plus button under the volumes, press that, select your partition size, and press ‘Next’.

Selecting EXT4 and LUKS encryption The next set of options are the most important, give your disk volume a name, then select the EXT4 option and tick the ‘Password protect volume’. If you do not want to use EXT4, press ‘Other’ and then hit ‘Next’. Here you can select XFS, Linux Swap Partition, BTRFS and possibly several others. Be sure to tick the ‘Password protect volume’ box on this screen if you choose one of these alternatives and press ‘Next’, then enter your password twice and press ‘Create’.

If you decided to keep several volumes on your device and you just want to encrypt one of a few of the partitions, select the partition to encrypt and press the gear icon next to the play and minus icons. You should now see ‘Format Partition’, selecting this will open up the same dialog box as the one described earlier and the instructions to encrypt the selected partitions are the same. Be sure that you’ve backed up any data from the partition you’re about to format.

While I’ve only gone over the instructions for encrypting a USB device, the guide is pretty much the same for encrypting internal and external hard drives too. If you plan to alter partitions on a hard drive that’s actively being used, you will have to do this process from a LiveUSB or LiveCD environment, and be sure that you’ve backed up any data you want to keep.

• By zikalify
      How to install and use Neofetch on desktop and mobile
      by Paul Hill

If you’ve spent any time looking around Linux subreddits, you may have seen some desktop screenshots where the user has their terminal displaying their system’s specs next to the logo of the operating system they use. While other programs can display information like this, one of the common options is called Neofetch – a program written in bash and available on all the popular operating systems and niche ones.

In this guide, I’ll show you how to install Neofetch on Windows, Mac, popular Linux distributions, Android and even iOS. In addition to installation, we’ll walk through some of the more advanced commands that you can run with Neofetch to customise the output.

Neofetch on Windows
      On Windows, you will need to install Neofetch using a tool called Scoop, a command-line installer for Windows. To install Scoop, you must be using Windows 7 SP1+ / Windows Server 2008+ and have PowerShell 5 and .NET Framework 4.5. Once you’ve got these, you’ll need to enter the following command in PowerShell: Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope CurrentUser, affirm the changes if it asks.

Next, you’ll want to install Scoop using PowerShell. To do this, use the following command: Invoke-Expression (New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://get.scoop.sh'). You’ll be able to tell if Scoop has been installed by running: scoop help. Before installing Neofetch, you'll need to install git using Scoop, just type: scoop install git.

If all of those are installed properly, you’re now ready to install Neofetch by typing: scoop install neofetch. Once that is installed just type: neofetch into PowerShell and it will display your system’s specs and the Windows logo.

Neofetch on Mac
      Getting Neofetch working on a Mac is quite a bit easier than the process on Windows. Simply open the Mac Terminal and paste the following command to install Homebrew: /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)". With that installed you can type: brew install neofetch and once it’s done just type: neofetch to display your specs next to the Apple logo.

Neofetch on Linux
      Neofetch is easy to install on most Linux distribution, this guide includes instructions for installing Neofetch on Arch, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and their derivatives. For most of these, you will be asked to provide an administrator password.

Arch
      Install the package from the command line with the following command:

pacman -S neofetch

Debian
      Install the package from the command line with the following commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install neofetch

Fedora

sudo dnf install neofetch

OpenSUSE

sudo zypper install neofetch

Ubuntu
      Install the package from the command line with the following commands:

sudo apt update

sudo apt install neofetch

Once you have completed the Neofetch installation on any Linux system, you can run the program by just typing: neofetch into the command line. You will be shown the specs of your computer next to the logo of your particular Linux distribution.

Neofetch on Android

Using Neofetch on Android is fairly straight forward, just head to the Google Play Store and download the Termux terminal emulator, it can also be downloaded from F-Droid if you do not have access to the Play Store for some reason.

Once that’s installed, open it up and type: pkg update and select yes to any questions, this is usually achieved by typing y and pressing enter. Run this command twice just to make sure everything is ready. After you’ve done that, type: pkg install neofetch, when that’s complete type: neofetch. You can pinch to zoom out if any of the output is cut off.

Neofetch on iOS
      Neofetch can only be downloaded on iOS with a jailbroken device. You should use a package manager like Sileo to search for and install neofetch. Jailbreaking and installing a package manager is beyond the scope of this tutorial but you can find more information about Sileo on the project’s website.

Advanced options
      Neofetch’s default settings should be sufficient for most people but it does come with a decent amount of customisability. If you are comfortable reading help files just type: neofetch --help to see the range of options available to you, if not, here are some pretty cool selections.

When you run Neofetch it will display your operating system’s logo by default but you can make it display any logo by adding to the command. To do this just type: neofetch --ascii_distro distroname and replace distroname with something like ubuntu, fedora, windows etc. Amending _old to the operating system's name will load the old ASCII image if your selection has one. You can find a full list of supported operating systems within the help file, to access that type: neofetch --help.

If you want to personalise your Neofetch output you can create your own ASCII art and supply that to Neofetch. Once you have your ASCII art ready save it a .asc file, then type: neofetch --ascii /path/to/filename.asc.

Conclusion
      The advanced features outlined above are not exhaustive by any means, there are lots of settings that you can choose by diving into the Neofetch help file but the ones outlined above will help you get started. If you enjoy tweaking your desktop and want to show it off online, be sure to have your Neofetch output in the foreground so you can show off your specs too!

• By zikalify
      Ubuntu 21.04 gets the codename ‘Hirsute Hippo'
      by Paul Hill

Following the release of Ubuntu 20.10 almost a week ago, Canonical has revealed the name of the next version of Ubuntu to be ‘Hirsute Hippo’ – the adjective means hairy. Ubuntu 21.04 ‘Hirsute Hippo’ is set to be released next April and is the third Ubuntu release with an ‘H’ codename, the first being Ubuntu 5.04 'Hoary Hedgehog' and the second being Ubuntu 8.04 ‘Hardy Heron’.

Now that we know which animal has been chosen for the codename, it's likely that one of the wallpapers in Ubuntu 21.04 will feature a hippo as has been the case in most prior Ubuntu releases. Ubuntu 21.04 will be an inter-LTS release meaning that it will only be supported for nine months. While it will be stable, most people might be better off staying with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS until 2022 when the next LTS arrives.

According to Phoronix, the Hirsute Hippo is set to come with the GNOME 40 desktop environment, the Linux 5.11 kernel, Mesa 21.0 with more graphics support, Python 3.9, and GCC 10. This release could come with a new desktop installer and Wayland made the default instead of X.Org but nothing has been confirmed yet.

In the coming days, Canonical will start spinning Daily Build ISOs for Hirsute Hippo but the most exciting dates will be April 1 when the beta arrives, April 15 when we get the release candidate, and April 22 when Ubuntu 21.04 finally ships.

Source: Martin Wimpress (Twitter) via Phoronix

• By zikalify
      Ubuntu 20.10 ‘Groovy Gorilla' is available to download now
      by Paul Hill

Canonical has announced the immediate availability of Ubuntu 20.10 ‘Groovy Gorilla’. While this version is considered stable and fit to be run as a daily driver, it is not a Long Term Support (LTS) release and will therefore only receive security updates for nine months.

The new version comes with a variety of new software including Linux Kernel 5.8 and GNOME 3.38. Developer tools such as programming languages and compilers have also received updates - this release ships with glibc 2.32, OpenJDK 11, rustc 1.41, GCC 10, LLVM 11, Python 3.8.6, ruby 2.7.0, php 7.4.9, perl 5.30, and golang 1.13.

Another notable point about this upgrade is that Canonical has spun a new desktop image aimed at Raspberry Pi 4 devices that have at least 4GB of RAM. Raspberry Pi’s new Compute Module 4 is also supported by the Groovy Gorilla but you’ll need to have 4GB of RAM and 16GB of eMMC or equivalent SD card storage.

Those who want to download and try the new version can download it from the Ubuntu download page. If you’re running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and want to upgrade you’ll need to open Software & Updates, head to the Updates tab, and change the Notify me of a new Ubuntu version drop down to For any new version. From there, open the update manager and you’ll be offered the upgrade.

• By Rich Woods
      Dell refreshes its XPS 13 and XPS 13 2-in-1 with Intel Tiger Lake, Thunderbolt 4, and more
      by Rich Woods

Back at CES, Dell announced a redesign for its XPS 13 laptop, and that design also came to the XPS 15 (and the brand-new XPS 17) in May. Now, the XPS 13 2-in-1 is getting the new look, which means that it's getting its IR camera back. Indeed, when Dell finally moved the webcam above the screen, the IR camera took an extra generation to come with it. While the XPS 13 2-in-1 was the last to get the overhaul, it had the least amount of work to do, already having a slim profile and a 16:10 screen.

XPS 13 2-in-1 The XPS 13 clamshell is getting a refresh today as well. As was teased at Intel's launch event earlier this month, both PCs are getting Intel's new 11th-generation 'Tiger Lake' processors. Tiger Lake is the company's second-gen 10nm platform, and it comes with new Iris Xe graphics, which you'll find in the new laptops.

That's not all though, because they come with Thunderbolt 4. That means that the USB Type-C ports can power dual 4K displays off of a single port, or it can power an 8K display. Memory is getting a boost too, as they come with 4267MHz LPDDR4x instead of 37633MHz.

XPS 13 Developer Edition As usual, the XPS 13 is getting a Developer Edition variant, which comes with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Moreover, Dell says it's added functionality to allow all XPS 13 users switch their system to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, even if they didn't get the Developer Edition.

The Dell XPS 13, XPS 13 2-in-1, and XPS 13 Developer Edition will all be available beginning on September 30. The XPS 13 2-in-1 starts at $1,249, and there will be a Frost model with Arctic White woven glass fiber palm rest coming later. The XPS 13 starts at $999, and the Developer Edition's pricing will be announced later.