Is an SSD Drive even worth it?

So after shipping delays and all kinds of other BS my system is almost finally done. I'm just waiting to find a good wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm also in need of a hard drive and I'm thinking about getting a SSD but is it worth it? I don't really NEED the extra speed but I have the money so why not? I DO know I'm not going over 128 GB so the setup would be system files and music and programs on the SSD and extensive movies on a backup drive. But should I just get a fast 1TB drive?

Here are my choices...

OCZ Vector SSD

WD Black 1TB

Thanks for ANY feedback guys and gals.

After using an SSD as your boot/OS HD, you will never use a mechanical HD again. I highly recommend it.

I keep hearing that

"Why the hell is this computer running so slow?" - Me, every time I use a computer without an SSD.

LOL this actually made me laugh out loud. My girlfriend just shot me a startled look.

a SSD is one of those "you never really realize how nice it is until you use one" types of things

I'd say it's completely worth it, even if you just get one big enough to be a boot drive

i just put together a system using a SSD for the first time myself a month ago and I gotta say, it's amazing the difference a SSD can make

• Like 2

I would get both. SSD for the OS and frequently used programs and the 1 TB hard drive if you plan to store any media type stuff or other non essential programs. If you have an usable hard drive from an old build, you can re-purpose it in the new build and just get the SSD.

But if you had to pick only one, I would definitely go with the SSD.

• Like 3

I would get both. SSD for the OS and frequently used programs and the 1 TB hard drive if you plan to store any media type stuff or other non essential programs. If you have an usable hard drive from an old build, you can re-purpose it in the new build and just get the SSD.

But if you had to pick only one, I would definitely go with the SSD.

Yeah I think I might do that. I was gonna give the old HDD to my dad but I can just get him a cheaper drive and use my Spinpoint drive as a media backup. I'll keep it in the system.

If you "Keep hearing that" then why do you have to ask?

Because people always say things but I would rather the opinion of Neowin since I respect the advice I get here. Anyone can tell me it's a great idea just to sell one to me, but Neowin members are making no money from advice.

If you "Keep hearing that" then why do you have to ask?

Skip to 5:38

WOW, that some serious speed. I'm pairing it with an AMD FX8150 which already multitasks great so I'm in for a big change.

Because people always say things but I would rather the opinion of Neowin since I respect the advice I get here. Anyone can tell me it's a great idea just to sell one to me, but Neowin members are making no money from advice.

Oh In that case SSD's get the ...

Warwagon Seal of Approval

16383800.png

Yeah I think I might do that. I was gonna give the old HDD to my dad but I can just get him a cheaper drive and use my Spinpoint drive as a media backup. I'll keep it in the system.

I highly recommend windows 8 on a SSD. The speed increase over the already fast Windows 7 for me has been just as epic as moving to an SSD. As long as you can put up with the start screen, you'll be fine.

You might want to look at moving your 'users' directory, or at least your library folders to your spinner as you won't generally get all that much of an advantage in speed but will leave your SSD free for plenty of other programs.

Or if you're a big gamer, forgo installing windows and your programs on the SSD,use it for games. You'll get a rich and smooth experience like never before.

My girlfriend uses SSD just for her games and in some games, the difference is amazing. World of warcraft that used to load instantly on login.. well I thought it did, now does. So smooth, I couldn't believe the difference it made.

If you put Windows 8 on a SSD, you will never think about booting off of a HDD again! I don't have SSD on my own PC yet but I replaced my wife's laptop HDD (late 2009, Core i3) with a Samsung 840/250GB and man that old laptop is now flying. She mostly does browsing and Office but even there the speed increase is noticeable (not to mention absence of the HDD churn)

I cannot tell between resuming from standby and cold booting.

+9999

I'll wait until the prices for SSD to come down. They're still overpriced for what you get, imho.

I mean, $150 for 128 GB. I could get 3 TB for that price.

Space trumps speed for me, as I have lots of video files to store.

I'll wait until the prices for SSD come down. They're still overpriced for what you get, imho.

They did...massively.

When I got my 180 it was $400

Now a 256 is $180

HDs are just crap at any price. Sure, you can live with them if you have to, but why would you want to?

Yep very worth it, especially on laptops (it tends to be a double boost, cause ssd =longer battery and are much much faster than 5.4k rpm drives)

my brothers i7extreme, 16gb ram and all that but with a HHD seemed much slower than my old 2500k with a SSD.

That is until he also got a SSD

and now you can pick up 128gb ones for about 90-100

and 128G is plenty for windows and a few games, but you need a normal HDD for the rest of your data.

I'll wait until the prices for SSD come down. They're still overpriced for what you get, imho.

at least it's finally below $1/gb

that was low enough to finally convince me to get one

Yep very worth it, especially on laptops (it tends to be a double boost, cause ssd =longer battery and are much much faster than 5.4k rpm drives)

HDs put out a lot of heat too and tend to slow themselves and the system down when hot

It wasn't worth it back in the day when it was 64gb for $500.. but now for $300 and 512gb SSD you will not want to go back to mechanical drive.. as others have said, it's painful to use a machine with a mechanical drive.

After using an SSD as your boot/OS HD, you will never use a mechanical HD again. I highly recommend it.

"Why the hell is this computer running so slow?" - Me, every time I use a computer without an SSD.

TRUTH!

SSDs are awesome. I got my first one a little under 2 years ago, 120GB Intel 320 for $210. Just got a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro three months ago for $140. Not cheap enough for data storage but definitely worth it for OS and programs.