I know about that, but I'd still prefer to eat them older.

They're food, how long they live isn't something I care about. Look at sheep meat which is sold in large quantities in periods here, generally lambs, since old sheep... well it doesn't taste very good.

Wouldn't horse meat cost more then beef? *scratches head*

What do you think Arby's Horsey sauce is derived from. :shiftyninja:

I always thought it was a mixture of hot sauce, flour, and horse spit :rofl:

Wouldn't horse meat cost more then beef? *scratches head*

I always thought it was a mixture of hot sauce, flour, and horse spit :rofl:

On this site horse burgers are cheaper than beef burgers.

I don't have a problem with eating horse meat as long as is not contaminated with some kind of disease. Misleading or mislabeling is not correct but to trow away good food just for the sake of it is just wrong.

What is your definition of throwaway meat?

Simple - meat that, while otherwise safe, is not permitted to be eaten by humans. Many states still classify "roadkill" - even large animals like deer, elk, and any sort of bear - that way; you can dispose of it - however NOT by eating it or even donating the skinned carcass.

Here's a surprising fact - "trophy hunters" are responsible for a LOT of game-meat donated to foodbanks where such is permissible. Most of the rest of such donations comes from "roadkill donees" - again where permissible.

Most of the time, the argument against it has diddly to do with safety - instead, it's psychological. Look at the states that PERMIT game-carcass donation to foodbanks and the standards thereof, and compare them to the USDA standards for cattle or pork, let alone poultry, butcheries - which sets of standards are more rigorously enforced?

Everyone should have the right to choose what they eat, even poor people. I'm sick of hearing right wing fascists trying to give us all stick just because we aren't rich.

Everything isn't an attack Javic, all the article implies is INSTEAD of destroying it, give it to the people that want it/need it. Its not forced, its an option saying IF you want it, have it for free. Flip the perception for a sec, it can be said "the rich are not allowed to get it for free since its meant for people in need" So some rich person could be saying "I'm sick of hearing right wing fascists trying to give us all stick just because we are rich."

while pigs, rabbits, squirrels, bears, dogs, cats, camels and horses are not.

Aww, all my favourites.

Wait a minute, I'm not Jewish. Camels burger time!

There's a saying: Beggars can't be choosers. If you're desperate enough, you'll eat about anything. I know this from experience.

Why? There's plenty to go around so why should people be forced to when there's no actual need for it?

Why? There's plenty to go around so why should people be forced to when there's no actual need for it?

on the other hand, why shouldn't they be given the option of cheap horsemeat ? it's better for you, many peopel say it tastes better and, well it's meat.

Feed it to animals if it isnt good enough for humans.

Horsemeat is good enough for humans, that is horsemeat from horses that haven't been given steroids or lots of antibiotics. and those that have aren't really suitable for eating for humans or animals.

outside of that there's of course different levels of quality to the meat as far as taste, texture and fat/stringy goes. but that goes for any meat. and just because it doesn't taste as good as the best or is a bit harder to chew doesn't make it unsuitable for humans. just cheaper and less exclusive.

on the other hand, why shouldn't they be given the option of cheap horsemeat ? it's better for you, many peopel say it tastes better and, well it's meat.

As long as its optional, clearly labeled, and checked to make sure its clean of drugs and disease I am OK with that

As long as its optional, clearly labeled, and checked to make sure its clean of drugs and disease I am OK with that

Yeah, me too. I've never eaten any but I would give it a try. But don't lie to me.

I would have no problem eating horse meat if it was tasty, i would try cats and dogs too, of course they would have to come from a good source not like the stuff they are finding at the moment.