Windows UI Improvements

Hi,

I just made this post to show which design elements in Classic Windows should be improved in a future version of Windows.

For example Aero is still part of Windows 8 and not everything is flat and modern.

I listed here the things I noticed.

• Windows Media Player has still some Aero Elements and is not flat. Like the Mondern UI.

wmpj.png

• The same applies to the Windows Photo Viewer

photoviewer.png

• and as well for Windows Fax and Scan (Ribbon support would be cool)

faxscan.png

• also the OOBE and Windows Easy Transfer needs to be overhauled and Aero Elements should be removed there as well

oobe.png

• Windows Explorer Ribbon should get the Office 2013 Ribbon features.
  • like: Auto Hide. Touch Mode, Same Close button (would fit then with Visual Studio as well) etc.

ribbonqi.png

• Powershell Menu should be flat and white coloured, like the other Windows Applications

powershell.png

• Screensaver Window should fit into the Appearence Center (I made a sample below)

screenpa.png

• Like 1

I agree with all of these, but I don't think you'll see it happen.

For example, I'm fairly certain at this point the WMP, WPV, and WFaS are all considered depreciated apps. If anything, they'll be made into Metro apps if any change were to happen to them.

While we're on it, Device Manager could use an overhaul too, but I'm sure if that were to happen, many here would cry bloody murder. God forbid things change.

post-420821-0-22163700-1361717983.png

• Like 2

Good points. An OS that's been as controversial as Windows 8 should, at the least, be graphically consistent throughout.

They need to fix the bug where, if you choose black for the window border, the title bar text is unreadable. Or just put back the classic window appearance dialog box... The default blue on client and especially server 2012 is extremely hideous.

While we're on it, Device Manager could use an overhaul too, but I'm sure if that were to happen, many here would cry bloody murder. God forbid things change.

No-one here has a problem with change, as you have been told many many times before

What people have a problem with, is when the change is unnecessary and make things more complicated, difficult and awkward than before, when 2 clicks become 4, when easy access frequently used settings are moved and hidden

Give your walls a fresh coat of paint, maybe even knock a wall down to open up the space in the house, but what good is a fresh coat of paint when you move walls in-front of doors and windows? Now you have to walk around those walls to leave the house or look outside

Pointless

• Like 3

I can agree with you guys on this one. The right click on drive > Properties dialogue is also a throwback to the 90's.(At least on 7)

Image to demonstrate:

B0aoZ5M.jpg

And yes, it's very dated.

I don't want them to get rid of Aero. I want them to bring it back and improve upon it. I hate the flat design.

Aero isn't gone, Aero glass is, unless you mean Aero Glass?

I wander how much Blue will fix in this regard. WMP looks so outdated and as it is the only application to play music Windows ships, this is just pathetic. Also WMP for W8 has the same exact issues as WMP for W7.

Aero Basic is still present in numerous applications and the buttons have the old style gradients:

Tn1LWhN.jpg

I know some of the burden lies with developers but clearly Aero Basic code is still present within Windows 8 and wasn't updated to the new visual style.

Aero Basic is still present in numerous applications and the buttons have the old style gradients:

I know some of the burden lies with developers but clearly Aero Basic code is still present within Windows 8 and wasn't updated to the new visual style.

All standard MDA apps look like this because of MS half assed job with thier VS.

The best thing they could do is to try and put all the leftover pop up dialog windows into the root control panel window. They put a number of them in already but never went all the way. After that we need new icons and we'll see what's left after that. Since they updated task manager I have hope that they'll do the same to other tools like disk management and so on.

faxscan.png

If we look at this image, we do not see that there is a title (Sender Name / Subject / etc) because it has the same color as the list; okay the pre-selection is blue, but when the cursor is on another line, then the title no longer attracts our attention.

I would also like to tell that the scrollbars are now a nightmare. They can't be seen anymore!

Conclusion: More CONTRAST is needed.

Windows 2000 was excellent regarding the contrasts.

Cheers

You do know that that's the same version found in Windows 7 right? The point is to show apps that have been in both that they need to update the UI for.

• Like 1