HP announces 7 inch tablet

HP why? Why would anyone buy this over the Nexus 7, it's inferior in almost every respect e.g. older OS version, only dual-core CPU, lower screen res, etc.

The only positives I can see is rear camera and its available in red XD

HP why? Why would anyone buy this over the Nexus 7, it's inferior in almost every respect e.g. older OS version, only dual-core CPU, lower screen res, etc.

MicroSD expansion too.

It's alright for a budget tablet, but I'd rather have a Nexus 7, and there are rumors of a next-gen Nexus 7 being released at Google I/O. I wish they stuck to WebOS.

...it's $30 cheaper. And has Beats Audio.

That's all I can see D: what storage does it come with, I can't see any mention of it on the website or on the press release :/

That's all I can see D: what storage does it come with, I can't see any mention of it on the website or on the press release :/

Beats Audio is a gimmick - if you're buying a device because it has Beats audio, then you're not well informed ;) Engadget reports 16 GB max internal storage and it has a MicroSD expansion slot.

Beats Audio is a gimmick - if you're buying a device because it has Beats audio, then you're not well informed ;) Engadget reports 16 GB max internal storage and it has a MicroSD expansion slot.

But all the rich people have Beats headphones, that must mean they're the best!

the real question at that price point is how does it compare to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" ?

nexus 7 is still best option for the price though. other companies are gonna have to try a lot harder than this to compete

But all the rich people have Beats headphones, that must mean they're the best!

nope, just over hyped. they don't sound any better than a $20 pair of over the ear headphones

beats headphones are basically bose headphone wannabes. and they fail at that

Beats Audio is just like saying, yes my device has audio XD $30 doesn't offset how much craper it is XD If this is HP's big come back god help them

nope, just over hyped. they don't sound any better than a $20 pair of over the ear headphones

beats headphones are basically bose headphone wannabes. and they fail at that

Ya, some people I know have spent so much money of this crap but I really don't understand...anyway, I'm derailing the topic here D:

Nexus 7 > HP Slate thingy. Even though it is red.

Ya, some people I know have spent so much money of this crap but I really don't understand...anyway, I'm derailing the topic here D:

Nexus 7 > HP Slate thingy. Even though it is red.

from what i can tell, this HP 7" slate doesn't even hardly compete with samsung's 7" tablet

which is kinda sad, because that's been around for awhile now

the design and build quality looks good. also, i heard its pure android with just 2 apps from HP included(1 is beats audio)

just bought Nexus 10 few days ago. its an amazing device. Nexus7 2 is around the corner.

The spec sheet for the HP Slate 7 is as follows:

• 7-inch 1024 x 600 resolution display
  • 1.6 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 8GB of storage expandable via micro-SD
  • 3 megapixel rear camera
  • VGA front camera
  • 10.7 mm thin
  • 197mm x 116mm
  • 13.05 ounces
  • Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Beats Audio is garbage and does nothing for it, Jelly Bean 4.1 is acceptable but it'll take them 8-12 months to get around to 4.2.2 or whatever (sadly), and the 1024x600 resolution on a lower quality HFFS panel is just to save money in production.

Honestly I don't see this thing being any better than some Coby tablet for $99 at this point, even the steel frame construction isn't going to make it a buy for me. I'll stick with the Nook HD which is superior on many levels: microSD slot which I can boot any custom Android ROM from and never touch the actual factory installation (and of course expand the storage with), 1440x900 IPS panel which is the best there is in a 7" form factor currently, and some other reasons of my own.

I like the Nexus 7, I really do, but it's one major negative - no microSD slot - is something I can't and won't tolerate in modern devices, it's just not acceptable to me. I get the 'cloud' idea, really (it's just client-server, it always has been), but it's irrelevant to me if I can have the storage on the device instead.

Just my $.02...

They couldn't stick with webOS when it lost any developer support to speak of. This really doesn't look all that good to me.