I don't care for Windows 8

Let me explain. My girlfriends mom bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and I can live without it. I'm not a Windows hater at all since I have used EVERY Windows OS since 95, but this one doesn't do it for me. I was one of the few people who loved Vista since it worked flawlessly for me, but for some reason I can't get into Windows 8. I just want to know, am I the only person that would rather stick with Windows 7?

And no, I'm not saying Windows 8 sucks, that would be a lie. But I AM saying that since Windows 7 is such a strong OS, I will probably stick with that for now.

Same, but in my case 8 was temperemental, and then the laptop I demoed in PC World gave me the same errors, no loss 7 still has some life left in it :)

(Though by now, they've probably got the wifi, keyboard and mouse, and sound <the three main errors I got, on my pc and the Shop Floor laptop, acer somethingorother> fixed)

• Like 1

For ****s and giggles, set up your start screen like you would a start bar combined with a browser start page.. Quick view calendar and email, fitbit info, Norton etc. Apps you use regularly.

Then, just use it like you did the start menu. Don't touch Metro, just use the Desktop interface, and use the start screen to start apps + show info you want quickly. Other than that, the user experience is pretty damn close to 7 >.<

For example:

StartScreen_zps489a24f9.png

I don't use many Metro apps. I find 8 much better for the Kernel improvements though >.<

I like it and hate it. I absolutely can't stand Win 8. without a start menu (that's right Windows 8 fanboys :p), but after using it since official release, it's not bad - I'm starting to like the metro apps, performance is snappy, and $15 upgrade = win in my books. My netbook has a touchscreen, and Windows 8 absolutely shines with a touchscreen device.

• Like 1

If you love Windows 7, then there is really no reason you shouldn't love Windows 8.

Windows 8 takes all of Windows 7 and makes it faster, more stable, more efficient and adds on a great touch UI, a place to gain access to thousands of more apps, and a start screen that is far more powerful and flexible than the start menu ever was.

The number of improvements far out number the few new oddities that you have to learn.

If you love Windows 7, then there is really no reason you shouldn't love Windows 8.

Windows 8 takes all of Windows 7 and makes it faster, more stable, more efficient and adds on a great touch UI, a place to gain access to thousands of more apps, and a start screen that is far more powerful and flexible than the start menu ever was.

The number of improvements far out number the few new oddities that you have to learn.

The number of "improvements" are immediately invalidated once a person is confronted with the hostile UI.

I use it full time, i don't like the metro interface. The most i am in it is 2mins per day in the email app. I find it quite annoying having to go looking for some shortcuts :/

Type :o Just like you would in 7 >.<

Meh. I remember when my Windows XP computer broke and I absolutely hated Windows 7. There weren't enough improvements for me to switch and so I downgraded. I bought a laptop about two or three months ago that was really cheap and it came with Windows 7. Rather than go back to XP and go driver hunting, I paid the $15 to upgrade to 8 since that is ridiculously cheap for legit Windows. I haven't looked back since.

The only computer I have on 7 is my FTP and that's because a.) I never actually use the computer except to remote in and restart it or add user accounts and b.) XP was making very simple things on the network complicated because of how much technology has changed. When I reformatted another laptop and was waiting for my Windows 8 disc, I kept it on 7. I groaned and just stopped using it until the copy came in.

Why would I want to go back to having to download every single driver known to man before doing an install/reformat? Why do I need a context menu that's always there that I only ever use for Run? Only one taskbar unless I run bloatware?

Then there's the things that I can't do without. Natively pause file transfers. Real-time file transfer rates. Everything that was cramped on the start menu is now laid out on the entire screen and the best part is that one button brings me to it and takes it out of my sight.

Modern UI is definitely in an infant stage and it's making Apple products look ultra customizable in comparison but I'd never go back from 8 because of the desktop experience alone.

Here's my desktop:

2my42ti.jpg

Here's my Start Screen

2vjr57r.jpg

I've never been able to do this in Windows before.

• Like 2

oh god,not this again. theres a million other threads exactly like this, where someone will make a remark about how they dont like windows 8 and like windows 7,then we get the same people on both sides saying the exact same thing,including me. :)

• Like 4

So I just tried a Surface Pro today at Best Buy. I'm in the same boat and really didn't like it. As an aside, I literally couldn't close metro apps at the store because the default mouse sensitivity was nowhere near high enough to drag from the top of the screen to the bottom. Scrolling the start page with the trackpad had issues as well. It's certainly seemed good as a touch interface, but Win7 will be what I stick with for a long time.

I had Windows 8 on my Acer laptop for several months and I really tried to like It, but Windows 8 was so damn annoying on a PC desktop environment. And after several months of use I grew to really hate those damn Metro apps, absolutely worthless on a PC.

Let me explain. My girlfriends mom bought a new laptop with Windows 8 and I can live without it. I'm not a Windows hater at all since I have used EVERY Windows OS since 95, but this one doesn't do it for me. I was one of the few people who loved Vista since it worked flawlessly for me, but for some reason I can't get into Windows 8. I just want to know, am I the only person that would rather stick with Windows 7?

And no, I'm not saying Windows 8 sucks, that would be a lie. But I AM saying that since Windows 7 is such a strong OS, I will probably stick with that for now.

I thought just like you until I got used to win 8,I really love the UI now , I haven't got touch screen as I saw my friend use his with win8,you can do some things faster with a mouse than a touch.

How exactly is windows 8 more stable than windows 7?

• Like 2

Same, but in my case 8 was temperemental, and then the laptop I demoed in PC World gave me the same errors, no loss 7 still has some life left in it :)

(Though by now, they've probably got the wifi, keyboard and mouse, and sound <the three main errors I got, on my pc and the Shop Floor laptop, acer somethingorother> fixed)

same here but i am going to move to mac.

I tried to get used to it, so bad. I wanted to get used to it. I just couldn't. I hate the changes they've made, and went for a refund from MS.

When was the last time you booted up Android on your desktop/laptop.

That kind of response is completely unhelpful.

More to the point, when you have such an inordinate dominance of the market, people aren't being unreasonable in expecting some level of stability from your software..

It's nice to see that most of the people have accepted that Windows 8 isn't the Windows version of the anti-christ, it just isn't for them.

It's a refreshing change from all the hate that existed before the launch.

I still think most people will end up using Windows Next and say it's much better than Windows 8, when in fact it'll just be an incremental update... Kinda like what happened with Vista.

meh im loving it and now finding it hard to use windows 7 when the family throws it at me ive gotten used to doing things in 8 and it just seems more logical when u actually just grow up and learn =]