News Update - The future about Windows

1361827878_windows_blue_concept__workspace_by_softwareportalplus-d5p9bdc.png

• every 3 years a new major Windows release, while every year the existing OS (for now Win8) will get a renovation.
  • First one is Blue, like we know already
  • Windows 9 still on plan, likely 2015, if Microsoft follows excisting development cycles (already a few builds compiled)
  • there is a chance that the Startbutton and Startmenu returns, while the Modern UI remais (still not clear if it's related to Blue or 9)
  • rumors said that Windows 9 will be the last release with the Desktop included
  • and for the Windows 7 users, Microsoft still plans to make a SP2

Lastly a few buildstrings

Microsoft Corporation; SUB Conrol Panel; 6.3.9319.0 (winmain.130208-1820)

Microsoft Corporation; Identity Store; 6.3.9319.0 (winmain.130208-1820)

Windows Blue 6.3.9319.0 winmain.130208-1820

Source:

http://microsoftport...-windows-9.html

Lol, if Windows 9 is the last version to have a desktop, it'll be the last version I use. They won't get rid of the desktop. How will desktop apps run? That one is a load of rubbish.

• Like 2

1361827878_windows_blue_concept__workspace_by_softwareportalplus-d5p9bdc.png

• every 3 years a new major Windows release, while every year the existing OS (for now Win8) will get a renovation.
  • First one is Blue, like we know already
  • Windows 9 still on plan, likely 2015, if Microsoft follows excisting development cycles (already a few builds compiled)
  • there is a chance that the Startbutton and Startmenu returns, while the Modern UI remais (still not clear if it's related to Blue or 9)
  • rumors said that Windows 9 will be the last release with the Desktop included
  • and for the Windows 7 users, Microsoft still plans to make a SP2

Lastly a few buildstrings

Microsoft Corporation; SUB Conrol Panel; 6.3.9319.0 (winmain.130208-1820)

Microsoft Corporation; Identity Store; 6.3.9319.0 (winmain.130208-1820)

Windows Blue 6.3.9319.0 winmain.130208-1820

Source:

http://microsoftport...-windows-9.html

I take it this is a translation from Russian to English...because that graphic has way too many grammatical errors on it to be taken seriously.

I take it this is a translation from Russian to English...because that graphic has way too many grammatical errors on it to be taken seriously.

Might be so. They included the graphic on the site.

The Start Menu isn't coming back. There's no reason for it to, as they t creates issues for support. Whether or not a taskbar button comes back is anyone's guess, but Microsoft is invested in Metro, you should expect to see more integration of it, not less.

• Like 2

Its not all that far fetched to think a world without a desktop is in our future. Development cycle is easily 8-10 years away for a Windows after 9. Unless anyone else follows the removal of the desktop enviroment, it won't happen anytime soon.

The problem is, no one believes there is something wrong with the desktop enviroment except the ones who make money on something new.

I don't think we'll see any of those ideas materialise. Microsoft takes a cut of all app sales through the Windows Store, so there's no way it is going to allow people to turn off Metro. The Start Screen is a replacement to the Start Menu, so it won't be making a return (nor do I think it should, though it definitely needs to be refined and improved). As for a Metro-mode, this will come about naturally but Microsoft won't disable the traditional desktop when it remains one of the greatest strengths of the Windows platform.

It's more likely that we'll see Microsoft continue to refine the existing experience.

That graphic has just been thrown together in paint or something, logo bottom right is just copy pasted on top, nothing in the heading is aligned

And 'aka' ? when would MS use AKA ?

'Codename' Blue

I don't think the desktop will be "dropped" but it will change, as will metro. As more updates come on the metro side and more tweaks to the desktop happen I think that with Windows 9 or maybe 10 the desktop will change to just another workspace area to the side of metro where classic win32 apps run along with newer winrt apps that are also able to run in newer snapped or windowed options.

Case in point, if we have a true notification center added to Windows that let's metro and classic apps work on it then they can drop the system trey from the UI. They can also tweak the taskbar to allow the pinning of metro apps nd thus show which ones are open just like desktop apps. If you think about it right now they could have a new taskbar show up in the same way the charms do when you're in a full screen metro app, while it can always be visible when you're in the new "desktop" like it does now.

Bottom line, the UI will change more but I don't think you have to worry about classic desktop apps not having a place to run in the future.

FWIW, this is how Google translates the (I think) relevant paragraph concerning the picture on the linked page:

Many factories us astray, so let rastravim all points above and. For us, this is just to help the user by the nickname Microsofter, which indirectly relates to Microsoft.

I took that to mean something like this:

Many fabrications are leading us astray, as is the case with the points above, which were posted by someone with the nickname "Microsofter" making it seem as though he were somehow related to Microsoft.

Lol, if Windows 9 is the last version to have a desktop, it'll be the last version I use. They won't get rid of the desktop. How will desktop apps run? That one is a load of rubbish.

maybe some kind of full screen virtualization mode?

maybe some kind of full screen virtualization mode?

If that's the case I won't be using any version of Windows that does that. I don't have my web browser fullscreen, I also have an open Skype Window next to it. I will not use a fullscreen web browser with Skype pinned to the side. I would switch to Mac if Windows went in this direction.

This is why I am staying with Windows 7. Redmond can keep Windows Blue.