McLaren P1 officially revealed

Priced from 866,000 GBP

McLaren has officially revealed the P1 production version, ahead of the car's debut scheduled for next week in Geneva.

A couple of hours ago we published the first official images with the production version of the P1 and now McLaren has decided to reveal all details about their new supercar. Limited to 375 units, theMcLaren P1 will have a starting price of 866,000 GBP and 1,150,000 USD (approx 1,004,800 EUR). McLaren originally planned 500 units but Ron Dennis decided to make only 375 cars after meeting with potential owners who were concerned more about the car's exclusivity rather than top speed or price tag.

With Instant Power Assist System (IPAS) turned on, the P1 will hit 100 km/h (62 mph) in less than three seconds, while 0-200 km/h (124 mph) takes under seven seconds. It needs 17 seconds from 0 to 300 km/h (186 mph), before reaching an electronically limited top speed of 350 km/h (217 mph).

IPAS is basically the electric motor which can be activated via a steering wheel-mounted button which will give the P1 the throttle response of a normally-aspirated engine, according to McLaren. Another button on the steering wheel is labeled DRS ? Drag Reduction System. If pressed, the rear wing reduces in angle to lower drag by 23 percent. This can be turned off by pressing the brake pedal or releasing the button.

P1's heart and soul is a hybrid powertrain consisting of a twin-turbo, V8 3.8-liter mid-mounted engine generating 737 HP (542 kW) at 7,500 rpm and 531 lb-ft (720 Nm) of torque from 4,000 rpm and an electric motor adding 179 HP (132 kW) and 192 lb-ft (260 Nm). The McLaren P1 has a combined output of 916 HP (674 kW) and 663 lb-ft (900 Nm). Power is transferred to the ground via a 7-speed twin clutch Graziano gearbox. It can be driven on electric power for 20 km (12.4 miles) at an average speed of 30 mph (48 km/h).

The McLaren P1 has a drag coefficient of 0.34 and can generate 600 kg (1,322 lbs) of downforce (5x more than MP4-12C). It has a carbon fiber chassis which weighs 100 kg (220 lbs), making it the lightest ever installed on a road car and capable of providing F1-like safety and rigidity, according to the British firm. Compared to the legendary F1, its successor is 300mm longer and slightly wider and longer than the MP4-12C. It tips the scales at only 1,400 kg (3,086 lbs) thanks to its lightweight construction.

It has CO2 emissions of less than 200 g/km and rides on bespoke Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires. Stopping power comes from discs featuring a new type of carbon ceramic which hasn't been used so far on a road car, only in space. This material is stronger than regular carbon ceramic and dissipates heat more effectively. In addition, these discs are lighter than usual and boast a custom ceramic layer coat on the friction surfaces for a mirrored look.

Moving inside the cabin, the McLaren P1 features a driver-oriented cockpit where carbon fiber is the primary material. All carbon surfaces lack the top layer of resin which would have added 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs). Steering column and seats are adjustable, while the seat backrests are fixed at a 28-degree angle, but a 32-degree change is available for increasing helmet clearance. The extremely thin carbon seat shell weighs only 10.5 kg (23.1 lbs).

Although focus was on making it as light as possible, McLaren has added amenities such as satellite navigation, climate control and premium audio system. However, the list of comfort features ends here since this was built primarily as a driver's car, with the position of the driver being individually configurable and with a digital dash showing all relevant information in typical racing style.

1577848004759714391.jpg

842856229972064207.jpg

450819066920481199.jpg

1492075447647895213.jpg

5669640141913075372.jpg

4648335091029509364.jpg

1319149628532038247.jpg

234205208827203014.jpg

1826432324686551100.jpg

1121477607528348189.jpg

6025460581016742443.jpg

16529737661155725318.jpg

13753676111742852080.jpg

to bad like the F1 it's a pure track car. meaning it's neither comfortable or practical in any way to use anywhere else except to show of, but then again, liek the F1 you eed to be a billionaire to be able to buy on. these cars make other super cars look like extremely practical family cars :p

to bad like the F1 it's a pure track car. meaning it's neither comfortable or practical in any way to use anywhere else except to show of, but then again, liek the F1 you eed to be a billionaire to be able to buy on. these cars make other super cars look like extremely practical family cars :p

Err what? I'm guessing you missed this part of the article:

Although focus was on making it as light as possible, McLaren has added amenities such as satellite navigation, climate control and premium audio system. However, the list of comfort features ends here since this was built primarily as a driver's car, with the position of the driver being individually configurable and with a digital dash showing all relevant information in typical racing style.

Yeah it's mostly a track car, but it's magnitudes more comfy and feature-filled than the bare-bones F1.

Err what? I'm guessing you missed this part of the article:

Yeah it's mostly a track car, but it's magnitudes more comfy and feature-filled than the bare-bones F1.

You do know what drivers car means right ?

this car is uncomfortable as hell to drive on the track, on a road it'll break your back, provided you bring a lift truck to lift it over the speed bumps.

Fun to rent for a couple of hours at the track, but that's about it. as a supercar it doesn't have the comfort or looks to be a top contender, it just has the status of "most expensive super car so look at me I'm awesome".

as awesome as it is, it's not even close to the top of my list if I get filthy ridiculously rich.

I look forward to Top Gear getting their hands on it.

Indeed, don't forget McLaren test on the Top Gear test track. A friend of mine actually spent a summer internship being driven around in this car while they were testing, handing the collection of the test data, and then got a full time job working on it when he finished uni. Lucky git!

That's part of the package when you own a supercar like that. Seriously.

There are better looking cars for much much cheaper than this that you can actually drive daily on the roads which will come with the same package, hell do I need a ~700k car for that?

There are better looking cars for much much cheaper than this that you can actually drive daily on the roads which will come with the same package, hell do I need a ~700k car for that?

That depends whether the price of the car is directly proportional to the women you might attract whilst showboating in it. I'd be happy to conduct a study but unfortunately I don't have a free ~700k lying about! :p

Indeed, don't forget McLaren test on the Top Gear test track. A friend of mine actually spent a summer internship being driven around in this car while they were testing, handing the collection of the test data, and then got a full time job working on it when he finished uni. Lucky git!

I'll bet this car was tested on the N?rburgring, and they will make a big point of that :)

You do know what drivers car means right ?

this car is uncomfortable as hell to drive on the track, on a road it'll break your back, provided you bring a lift truck to lift it over the speed bumps.

Fun to rent for a couple of hours at the track, but that's about it. as a supercar it doesn't have the comfort or looks to be a top contender, it just has the status of "most expensive super car so look at me I'm awesome".

as awesome as it is, it's not even close to the top of my list if I get filthy ridiculously rich.

Exaggerate much? Even the F1 has been spotted driving on normal roads numerous times.

What makes you think they are uncomfortable? They have cushioned seats, suspensions, airbags, and are street legal.

Whether it's driven on the track or a 300 mile trip, it will function just fine and so will your back.

Exaggerate much? Even the F1 has been spotted driving on normal roads numerous times.

What makes you think they are uncomfortable? They have cushioned seats, suspensions, airbags, and are street legal.

Whether it's driven on the track or a 300 mile trip, it will function just fine and so will your back.

being street legal and having suspension doesn't mean it's a comfy ride.

The F1 doesn't have airbags or power steering and its a centered driver seating makes it very impractical and not very comfortable. It doesn't even have cup holders. However, I think this P1 is mounds better in terms of comfort and practicality following the mp4-12c. I don't think there are many modern, supercars being made these days that are as barebones as the F1.

being street legal and having suspension doesn't mean it's a comfy ride.

I see nothing to indicate that it would be uncomfortable. All you've done is make a bad comparison to the F1 which made no sense since the F1 is bare-bones and the P1 is far from it. And saying it will break your back and not survive a civilian road is nothing but a sad exaggeration. Compared to most supercars, the P1 is very well equipt. Ever sit in an open-wheel racecar before? That's a pretty close definition of discomfort, but it's still not hard to drive one for hours on end.

The F1 doesn't have airbags or power steering and its a centered driver seating makes it very impractical and not very comfortable. It doesn't even have cup holders. However, I think this P1 is mounds better in terms of comfort and practicality following the mp4-12c. I don't think there are many modern, supercars being made these days that are as barebones as the F1.

Much agreed.

Most super cars are not comfortable ride,s no matter how many luxuries they have, NO supercar that's built as a trackday car is a comfy ride, they're built to be stiff and rigid.

Most super cars are not comfortable ride,s no matter how many luxuries they have, NO supercar that's built as a trackday car is a comfy ride, they're built to be stiff and rigid.

Hello, my name is

and i'm here to destroy the McLaren P1 and at the same time being a comfy ride :D

Not only does this Nissan GT-R R35 kills the McLaren P1, but it laughs pretty good at the price of the McLaren P1 to.