New Lumia 920 user; a few questions

Just got my Lumia 920 as a work phone but I've got a few questions:

1. Is there any way to allow HTML pictures to be downloaded when opening a HTML email? Outlook allows you to trust it but why can't I find anything in settings on the phone?

2. Any word on a true notification center coming? I traded in an iPhone 4S and loved having the first couple of lines of email showing up on the lock screen and I read somewhere that MS didn't have time to implement it, so is it coming?

3. Which is better, Nokia Music+ or XBox Music? I'm using the trial to XBox music but I noticed it works with Windows 8 and Windows Phones. I have two Windows 8 machines at home, this Lumia and a Windows 7 workstation at work. I assume XBox Music won't work on Windows 7 but is there an app for Nokia Music + that can be used on Windows 7?

4. Live tile colors: I see the various static colors for most of the tiles being the same but are there any apps that allow you to change the colors on each individual tile?

I am loving the phone a lot after using it for a day.

Nice. What kind of job do you have? The Nokia Lumia 920 is a high-end device.

Anyway, here are my answers:

1. I don't think so. You'll have to manually download pictures for each email.
  2. Nothing other than admitting they ran out of time to develop it and that they're thinking very hard about it.
  3. I don't know because I haven't used those apps.
  4. I haven't used any apps with that feature and I haven't read about it either. It would be a cool feature and if it does exist, then it would have came up in most reviews for WP8 devices.

And here are some battery-saving tips:

1. Turn off NFC (tap+send). From what I've read, it's a battery hog.
  2. Be sure to disallow apps from updating in the background. You can do this by swiping to the right in the settings menu and selecting background tasks. Some apps are known to use a lot of battery power like Nokia's HERE Drive app.

I was (still am) a Zune Music Pass subscriber before they changed it to Xbox Music. I'm not sure about new accounts, but I'm able to authorize 3 machines and 3 devices. I currently have my desktop and laptop (both running Windows 8) and Surface as my three devices and my old WP7, new WP8, and Zune HD as my devices.

I'm still able to use Zune to manage and download my music on my desktop and laptop. Zune works with Windows 7 (and is in fact the supported solution by Microsoft to continue managing WP7), so you can theoretically use your Xbox Music Pass with your Windows 7 machine. I just don't know if new accounts come with 3 devices or if they were knocked down to two.

Hey there - glad you're enjoying your Lumia 920.. I love mine too!!! :)

Here are my answers:

1. If you tap any of the image placeholders, it downloads all the HTML images. I don't think there is an 'automatically download' option at this time to preserve battery and data I'm guessing. I'm sure it will come in a future release though.

2. Notification Center will most likely come in the next major update. They already stated they are working on it but weren't able to finish it in time. Luckily, we have live tiles to provide us with notifications, but of course we all want the notification centre for the toast notifications.

3. I believe desktop apps for Nokia Music will be released later. For now, you'll have to stick to Xbox Music or purchase music elsewhere and transfer it to your phone (just plug it in and drag your music to the "Music" folder or you can use the connector app).

4. This is not really needed because you can set one primary theme colour (you can choose from 20 or more colours depending on your carrier), and as you get more tiles/apps you'll notice most of the apps have their own tile designs/colours. You'll notice that only the built-in apps and only some apps with transparent icons use the theme colours, whereas most other apps create their own tile design using the full tile (e.g. Weather Channel, Office, Xbox, IMDB, Flixster, Yelp, etc.), therefore you wouldn't see the theme colour for those tiles. Also, they did it this way so you're phone doesn't look all crazy with multi-colour tiles and managing multiple colour themes. Note you can also change the background from black to white if you prefer that too. :)

Cheers and hope that helps.... have fun with your new 920... I love it :)

Shoot, I never got notified I had replies. Thanks for all of them. I ended up finding my answers by searching.

@Anaron, I am a systems admin and we use Mobile Iron at work to manage our phones, so we can choose between the iPhone, Android, or Windows phone.

So far so good. I am enjoying the phone but there is one little bug that's annoying with the XBox Music Pass. I am in the middle of the 30 day trial and I downloaded some songs to my phone, yet they do not sync to my PCs that are connected. Now, on the PCs, I do have the option, "When I add songs to my music on other devices, download them here too" yet all of the albums I downloaded on my phone have not transitioned over. Any ideas?

Shoot, I never got notified I had replies. Thanks for all of them. I ended up finding my answers by searching.

@Anaron, I am a systems admin and we use Mobile Iron at work to manage our phones, so we can choose between the iPhone, Android, or Windows phone.

So far so good. I am enjoying the phone but there is one little bug that's annoying with the XBox Music Pass. I am in the middle of the 30 day trial and I downloaded some songs to my phone, yet they do not sync to my PCs that are connected. Now, on the PCs, I do have the option, "When I add songs to my music on other devices, download them here too" yet all of the albums I downloaded on my phone have not transitioned over. Any ideas?

It will only sync whatever is on your computer to your phone, as far as I'm aware. If you want to transfer music from your phone to your computer, then simply access the music folder with Windows explorer and drag-and-drop (or copy and paste) whatever you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Lumia 920 today! I decided to move from my old windows phone account that I had synched with to my newer one so I've lost apps and such, but I believe I can still get them back somehow... I have to go check.

But I am loving the new sizable tiles. I did notice it gets a tad warm while installing apps and stuff...

Just got my Lumia 920 today! I decided to move from my old windows phone account that I had synched with to my newer one so I've lost apps and such, but I believe I can still get them back somehow... I have to go check.

But I am loving the new sizable tiles. I did notice it gets a tad warm while installing apps and stuff...

don't worry about the heat.

It gets most hot when you Skype for a long time or play games like alphalt 7.