Gonorrhoea cases soar 25% in England as superbugs take hold

LONDON (Reuters) - Gonorrhoea cases have soared by 25 percent in the past year in England as superbug or drug-resistant strains of the sexually transmitted infection (STI) take hold worldwide, British health officials said on Wednesday.

Nearly 21,000 new cases had been diagnosed in 2011, with more than a third of cases in gay men and more than a third in people who have had gonorrhoea before, the UK Health Protection Agency (HPA) said in a statement.

Effective treatment with antibiotics has been compromised by growing resistance, it said, noting "a drift towards decreased susceptibility" of gonorrhoea infections to drugs called cephalosporins which are normally recommended as treatment.

"We are seriously concerned about continuing high levels of gonorrhoea transmission and repeat infection," said Gwenda Hughes, the HPA's head of STI surveillance.

A strain of gonorrhoea that was resistant to all recommended antibiotics was found in Japan in 2008, scientists said in 2011. They warned then it could transform a once easily treatable infection into a global health threat.

Last year the World Health Organisation said cases of drug-resistant gonorrhoea had spread across the world.

Gonorrhoea is a bacterial STI which, if left untreated, can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirths and infertility in both men and women.

It is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the world and is most prevalent in south and southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. In the United States alone, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of cases is estimated at about 700,000 a year.

The emergence of superbugs has been driven by the overuse and misuse of antibiotics, which help fuel genetic mutations within the bacteria.

source

making the germ drug-resistance is easy,

just stop the treatment half-way,

the surviving germs very likely became more resistance to previously used drugs.

"what that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"

that saying especially applies to germs.

It is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the world and is most prevalent in south and southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa

Wonder if all these cases are with middle east people that moved to the UK

Can't say I'm surprised, as unprotected sex goes hand-in-hand with binge drinking which is a major social issue in the UK.

making the germ drug-resistance is easy,

just stop the treatment half-way,

the surviving germs very likely became more resistance to previously used drugs.

"what that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"

that saying especially applies to germs.

That and anti-biotics being overprescribed / overused.

• Like 1

Angry or not he has a point...

What, that people who catch STDs are behaving "like dogs"? Seriously?! Some people have reckless sexual habits that increase their likelihood of contracting STDs but it is arrogant and ignorant to assume that applies to everyone affected.

Sucks to be them.

How urbane. :rolleyes:

My expectations are never high when entering this sort of topic but people have really outdone themselves today. :no:

What, that people who catch STDs are behaving "like dogs"? Seriously?! Some people have reckless sexual habits that increase their likelihood of contracting STDs but it is arrogant and ignorant to assume that applies to everyone affected.

How urbane. :rolleyes:

My expectations are never high when entering this sort of topic but people have really outdone themselves today. :no:

Is this also why since H.I.V. became well publicised and a safe sex message was issued in 1984, that people are now ignoring using a condom, rubber, rubber Johnny or whatever you wish

to call it and that H.I.V. amongst homosexual Men has increased 25%.

Humans behave like Dogs, not all of them, however most of them in this day.

Getting your leg over with all and sundry is not a badge of honour.

Though to them it is.

I have had only two sexual partners, my first love, we did it three or four times in one year in our teens and my current partner, we have done it thousands of times, around 40,000 times in 27 years.

We have never had a S.T.D.

We are not Dogs.

Those that willingly go shag for Britain, are Dogs.

No bed of roses anywhere... rates have gone up here as well. No specific figures tho'. Not just Gon. but also Syhp., HIV, etc. The article noted that 72% of the cases of Syph (unless I misread, and this might have been restricted to NYC) are in the MSM community.

CDC Releases STI Statistics for 2011, Rates Go Up Especially Among Young People and MSM - See more at: http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2012/12/18/sti-news-chlamydia-and-gonorrhea-rates-rise-stis-in-nyc-concentrated-in-low-incom/#sthash.Vixt37DM.dpuf

Those that willingly go shag for Britain, are Dogs.

Yeah, because doing what we're genetically programmed to do is obviously reprehensible. :rolleyes:

I agree that there are issues with sexual behaviour in the UK but I think it's remarkably arrogant to label as animals those you disagree with.

Being a sexually repressed bigot isn't the answer, education is. There's nothing wrong with enjoying sex as long as you're careful. The idea that you have to live monogamously to be an "upstanding citizen" is frankly a joke. Just be careful.

Being a sexually repressed bigot isn't the answer, education is. There's nothing wrong with enjoying sex as long as you're careful. The idea that you have to live monogamously to be an "upstanding citizen" is frankly a joke. Just be careful.

So.... anybody here can bang your wife?

I'm sure gay people would argue that point with you...

Given that, despite what right wing rags and Fox news say, being gay isn't a choice I can't see that they would.

So.... anybody here can bang your wife?

I'm not married but that's not really the point, sexual openness is about more than screwing everything that moves.

Why do people not use condoms? You don't know who (or what) this person has been with before you, you don't know what they have, is it really worth risking your life?

Why do people not use condoms? You don't know who (or what) this person has been with before you, you don't know what they have, is it really worth risking your life?

Short of marching each and every sexual partner down to be tested for STDs right in front of you there is no way of ensuring that your partner doesn't have one, especially when they might not know about it (not all present with symptoms). I know a couple who were in a monogamous relationship for over a year only to both come down with an STD - neither were reckless sluts. Unsurprisingly it caused them to split up. The point being that it can affect those who are relatively cautious.