Far Cry 3, Caught in a thunderstorm with Dunia Engine 2

The Far Cry 3 map is just insanely massive, it goes on forever and ever and I?ve only scratched the surface. I have been playing FC3 for over 16 hours now and the sun has been shining throughout. Until last night when I decided to have a short play which ended up in me going to bed at nearly four in the morning which didn?t actually go down well with the misses. In fact she?s not speaking to me? Oops! I actually didn?t know there would be tropical thunderstorms in FC3. All of the sudden it went very dark and cloudy and it stated to rain very heavy and it was thundering and lightening. I was hunting for a shark to extend my wallet and through the water I noticed it went all grey and was raining. Very realistic rain and the thunder and lightning was the best I have seen in a game for a long time. I thought the CryEngine 3 was good for environmental atmospheric conditions. But Dunia Engine 2 is one h*** of a contender.

Far Cry 3's engine is very impressive. Huge environments with virtually no load screens, huge amounts of detail, dynamic weather, animal AI, etc - it really is a step above most first person shooters. I'd really like to see more developer licence the engine.

No need for the first two. Independent story line.

I agree it is the best game I've played for a long time. Fantastic fun just sneaking up and taking over outposts without triggering alarms.

Hmmm perhaps I should give this a look. Would playing the first two help?

Farcry one was amazing. It introduced me to lush jungle/beach open environments. Very unexpected sci-fi twist on the later levels too. Still is one of my fondest memories in gaming.

Too much good stuff to list. Great game overall.

Farcry2 - forget about it. Nothing to do with far cry for all I care. Huge disappointment. Boring environment, tedious missions...

But the FC3 has nothing to do with the first two so you can safely skip them.

I have a lot of issues with FC3 too, but, overall level of pure fun I had playing the game was almost at FC1 level... in a different, more modern,way

I'd say Far Cry 1 sucked and 2 while fairly directionless was actually playable (and pretty fun.)

But really, skip em both.

What, Farcry 1 is in the same boat as Crysis 1: awesome games when they were released, really cool first couple of levels, then alienz n' ****. :laugh:

If anyone likes Farcry 3 but hasn't played Just Cause 2, you're doing yourself a disservice.

The original Far Cry was a decent game but the narrative was incredible cheesy and the final third of the game was terrible. Far Cry 2 had some significant gameplay issues (respawning guard posts, malaria gimmick, etc) but the engine was very impressive, the setting unique and overall I consider it a better game. Far Cry 3 combined the strengths of both the previous titles, while taking things in a new direction, creating incredibly memorable characters and adding more non-narrative tasks.

It's not a popular opinion but I consider the original Far Cry to be the weakest in the series. Far Cry 3 is a must play.

Far Cry 2 was something I picked up and instantly put down. It was big in scope but it has weird limitations that made it less accessible than it was meant to be. Far Cry 3 definitely remedies those things.. It's a lot of fun.

This was my first Far Cry, and something I've rarely seen is the dynamic weather. When a storm came up on me for the first time when I played I was SO happy. Wish there was a setting to increase different weather likelihoods. Im sure the PC might have something.. Either way can't wait for a harder difficulty and optional respawning camps

The Far Cry 3 map is just insanely massive, it goes on forever and ever and I?ve only scratched the surface. I have been playing FC3 for over 16 hours now and the sun has been shining throughout. Until last night when I decided to have a short play which ended up in me going to bed at nearly four in the morning which didn?t actually go down well with the misses. In fact she?s not speaking to me? Oops! I actually didn?t know there would be tropical thunderstorms in FC3. All of the sudden it went very dark and cloudy and it stated to rain very heavy and it was thundering and lightening. I was hunting for a shark to extend my wallet and through the water I noticed it went all grey and was raining. Very realistic rain and the thunder and lightning was the best I have seen in a game for a long time. I thought the CryEngine 3 was good for environmental atmospheric conditions. But Dunia Engine 2 is one h*** of a contender.

Is this PC or console?