What Win 8 laptop to get?

I wouldn't buy an HP. Had one, died two weeks after the warranty was up.

Doesn't that always happen though with any product? It always seems to die or break just after the warranty runs out. That doesn't mean though that I should rule out the HP. Any other models or brands I should look at?

I recently purchased a Lenovo Y500, I quite like it, and 3-4 years back an HP HDX18, survived a few rotations in Afghanistan and still going, it's pretty hit and miss with HP though

I quite like the Lenovos these days though, and I got mine for a pretty good price too around 850.

EDIT: Only time will tell on how long the Lenovo will last though, I'll get back to you in 3-4 years.

I wouldn't buy an HP. Had one, died two weeks after the warranty was up.

The lower grade HP's, yes they do tend to fail. But he is looking at a business class model. Total difference.

I picked up an HP Envy m6-1205dx about a month ago. Really enjoying it so far. It doesn't have a touchscreen, but I never intended to use the standard Start Screen of Windows 8 anyway. I bought Start8 and have been extremely happy so far. Also, this thing can actually play games. It gets a bit hot while playing, but no overheating issues so far. Very pleased.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm also in the market for a new laptop.

I was looking at the Lenovo Yoga. They now say they have up to 8 hours of battery life so I assume they are shipping now with the newer Ivy Bridge iCore processors.

Anybody got anything to say about that choice?

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm also in the market for a new laptop.

I was looking at the Lenovo Yoga. They now say they have up to 8 hours of battery life so I assume they are shipping now with the newer Ivy Bridge iCore processors.

Anybody got anything to say about that choice?

I looked at the yoga line but wasn't too impressed with it.

I looked at the yoga line but wasn't too impressed with it.

See, I've heard some really good reviews but also some really bad ones.

My problem is that I can't just go and check some devices out in the store.

I have to decide what to get and then order it in the US.

I can spend about $1000, want something relatively powerful, touch, SSD and I have to be able to use it comfortably on my lap in the couch as that is where I use my current laptop the most.

So just as you I'm looking for some advice I guess :)

The lower grade HP's, yes they do tend to fail. But he is looking at a business class model. Total difference.

this.

when it comes to reliability it's not the brand name but class that matters. all the consumer grade stuff from every manufacture sucks, but the business class machines are mostly decent across the board.

Hello,

The Lenovo ThinkPad, Hewlett-Packard EliteBook, and Dell Precision Mobile Workstation lines are all solid business systems. My personal preference is for the ThinkPad, but any one should provide a reliable general-purpose computing device. One think to keep in mind, though, is that if you are into gaming most business laptops do not perform well in this area.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I out of those models you posted I would go with the HP and make sure to get the accidental damage protection in warranty 3 years. believe me, one use and that thing pays for itself. HP DV7 quad core edition here....mine got water damaged and wouldn't even boot up. called HP they sent me a shipping box and label within 24hours, packed up the laptop sent it off and got it back in 2 days.

I don't know how asus or levnono deals with their warranty but I can vouch for HP in that department.

[Thread cleaned]

I haven't been in the thread since early last night but what happened that this was needed? It was going rather nicely I thought?

Have you looked at the Acer S7? It looks amazing (I haven't seen any reviews though).

http://us.acer.com/a...series/aspires7

I was for a bit and actually spent some time using it at a local store but the max screen size is only 13" and for that the price is quite high. The HP one is 15" and is a bit less expensive.

What about Windows 8 Ultrabook?

If you look at the specs on the HP one that I am looking at it is an ultrabook. It isn't even 1" thick.

I haven't been in the thread since early last night but what happened that this was needed? It was going rather nicely I thought?

People were bartering about a Ubuntu laptop... back and forth, swearing, etc.

I was for a bit and actually spent some time using it at a local store but the max screen size is only 13" and for that the price is quite high. The HP one is 15" and is a bit less expensive.

aah ok. Another suggestion: if you can, get it from a Microsoft store (online or b&m whatever). Less crapware. :)

aah ok. Another suggestion: if you can, get it from a Microsoft store (online or b&m whatever). Less crapware. :)

If I go for the HP one, first thing I always do is a fresh install and get rid of any of the pre-installed crap. I'm thinking of getting it from Fry's...they price match now.

I've had good experiences with Dell and Sony, especially Dell under warranty. I don't like HP, most HP laptops I've seen suffer from BSOD for some reason, even if they're new. If you really want to enjoy Windows 8, buy a laptop with touchscreen, many of the new things have more sense this way.

Have you looked at a Surface Pro?

Actually yes...I have 3 of them sitting on my desk at work. It's great but it is a tablet that can be sudo notebook when it needs to be. I still need a notebook.

I've had good experiences with Dell and Sony, especially Dell under warranty. I don't like HP, most HP laptops I've seen suffer from BSOD for some reason, even if they're new. If you really want to enjoy Windows 8, buy a laptop with touchscreen, many of the new things have more sense this way.

I have never liked Dell's as they have always been way too plasticy and just not great. While Sony makes great computers you pay a premium for the name...somewhat like Apple.