Windows 8 adoption rate almost at a standstill, far behind Windows 7

Also the problem with Win 8 is the schizophrenic behavior between Modern UI en the classic desktop.

Even Office 2013 behaves this way when clicking on a Word/Excel etc tile the desktop is coming up...

I guess a FULLY - and 100% - Modern UI environment where you can stay in would be very convenient, and also the same for the ol' desktop.

these are the same people that say an ipad with a keyboard can replace your computer(hypocrites)

Yet that is essentially what Microsoft is doing to the desktop, dumbing it down into a Windows RT style experience with full screen Metro apps as a default means of interfacing with your PC, and you think that it's great? (hypocrites)

• Like 1

The article does not quote any sources and was posted on a site known for it's anti Windows 8 attitude. I would be very suspicious of the information being accurate and based on proper data.

That said. It would seem a vast number of people here make statements and claims based on not actively using the OS anyway. Having been on WIN8 since the Release preview I have no issues with it at all. It's much better then WIndows 7 in many ways. It's quite noticeable that the under the hood'changes are far more important then the UI ones and my Start Screen is my perfect goto place for my often used apps, tools, links and cloud storage.

Modern Ui being the default for any type of device was just a huge mistake. Win 8 had some great desktop improvements but chose to go one way, great if your on a tablet but on a desktop its a pain. I bought 3 copies of Win 8, I dont use mine anymore, my Dad even asked me to restore his PC!!

MS need to stop all these stupid competitions with medern apps and concentrate on a great OS along the lines of 7. I cant believe such a big company made such a stupid mistake and wont stop throwing money at it,

• Like 1

Every argument concludes the same way. If Metro UI had been an OPTION instead of the standard, then nobody would be arguing about anything. Under the hood, Windows 8 is superior to Windows 7, but by making the Metro UI the default interface, the whole experience fails. The Metro UI should have been a selectable option chosen during the upgrade/installation procedure. That way folks that like it can enjoy the tablet interface, and those that don't like it can get back to work as usual. Win - Win situation!!

Tim

The voice of reason :)

I'm sure metro is great on tablets, but the interfaces on tablets and desktops SHOULD NOT be unified. Mouses and fingers are different and the interfaces for them have always been different. For example, if I grab a scrollbar and drag it downwards with my mouse, I will see content below what is currently on screen, but if I drag a list downwards with my finger, I will see content ABOVE what is currently on screen.

I don't personally see how the start screen has improved anything either. Live Tiles are kinda implemented in Windows 7 in the guise of the sidebar.

I'm all for change as long as it improves something, but I don't think Metro brings improvements to the desktop experience.

Its not ok when Microsoft does it but everyone else can :rolleyes: Its an appalling practice but hypocrisy to cry about it here but ignore when Mozilla,Google,Apple etc do the same fricking thing,

Crapstores aside its a shame because the hand-me-down's from server 2012 make this one of the best releases in recent years.

Hyper-V, Windows To Go, Storage Spaces, Native ISO & VHD mount, Metered Networks, PowerShell 3, REFS etc put it head and shoulders above windows 7.

Mozilla, Google and Apple can do whatever they want; I don't use desktop OSes made by any of those companies, so they don't concern me.

• Like 1

The article does not quote any sources and was posted on a site known for it's anti Windows 8 attitude. I would be very suspicious of the information being accurate and based on proper data.

That said. It would seem a vast number of people here make statements and claims based on not actively using the OS anyway. Having been on WIN8 since the Release preview I have no issues with it at all. It's much better then WIndows 7 in many ways. It's quite noticeable that the under the hood'changes are far more important then the UI ones and my Start Screen is my perfect goto place for my often used apps, tools, links and cloud storage.

Spoken like a true fanboy with his eyes shut and ears plugged. You conveniently ignored all of the posts throughout this thread where multiple folks have explained how they've used Windows 8 and do not like it. You're just incapable of understanding that someone would have a different opinion than your own. Just because you use it and have no issues does not mean the same for every other person on the planet. I'm glad we established the world revolves around you though.

Personally, I don't like Windows 8. There's no point in rehashing the multitude of reasons. Oh and I might as well note that my HTPC runs Windows 8 and is used for several hours of the day by myself and the other half. Guess what? Still don't like it! Oh but wait....I don't actively use Windows 8! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

People are now going mobile. Mobile computing is where it's at now.

Desktop computing is now considered ancient. tablets and mobile phones are the computers of today.

Desktop computers are best suited for offices.

• Like 2

Desktop computing is now considered ancient. tablets and mobile phones are the computers of today.

I agree with your sentiment, but a desktop OS is still better suited to a desktop than a mobile/tablet OS.

If you're actually going to sit down and do some work at home/work, then a desktop is still by far the best way of getting something done. An on screen or small touch keyboard doesn't quite cut it when compared to a normal physical keyboard, and a touch interface doesn't cut it compared to a windowed OS.

Tablets are great because they're portable and we do work when we otherwise wouldn't, such as on the bus, etc, but they are not better than a desktop OS when a desktop is available.

Yay!!

This is almost the best news I've read today!!

Windows 8 is such a shock to anyone that's ever used a computer before, they look at and say WTF?!!

I also knew the day would come when it was compared to Vista's TOTALLY S****Y growth rate! I think I'd even prefer Vista over Windows 8 and I TOTALLY despised Vista from day one and NEVER even used it for more than 1 day, although I tried several times to like it.

That time frame (Vista) was probably the longest I ever stayed with Linux at a stretch!! :)

• Like 2

this thread where multiple folks have explained how they've used Windows 8 and do not like it.

I'm glad we established the world revolves around you though.

This thread isn't the world.

You're just incapable of understanding that someone would have a different opinion than your own.

I don't think so, he just posted his opinion and placed counterarguments for those against it. His argument ("unreliable source") seems more convincing than yours ("multiple people don't like it") anyway.

• Like 1

I think we're saying the same thing, there's great OS enhancements overshadowed by the UI. I think we disagree on the level of OS (Desktop Environment Enhancements). There's a lot more than most people see. Unfortunately, many can't get past the UI. Here's a few you may not be aware of:

Native UASP - USB Attached SCSI Protocol (in fairness, OS X Lion has this as well), significant boost to USB 3.0 throughput.

Settings Roam - allows for preferences to sync across a user's Windows 8 devices

Hyper-V - Hyper-V virtualization software comes pre-loaded on Windows 8

R&R - New "Reset and Refresh PC" functions enable simplified system wipe and restore

App Suspend - Refreshed Windows Task Manager suspends apps when they're not running on-screen

Logins - Photo, PIN (love the PIN), Microsoft Account Integration

Printing - Many, Print Class Driver Framework, Print apps no longer allowed to be part of driver

Graphic Hardware Acceleration - Just about everything, vastly improved

Explorer Ribbon - Thank God!

SMB 3 - If you don't network much, disregard, if you do, it's beyond scope of this post but look it up.

Secure Boot w/UEFI - a feature which disallows the loading of unauthorized firmware, operating systems, and drivers at boot time.

Improved Multi Monitor support - Yes, Metro kind of nullifies this :/

Windows to Go - Very fantastic enterprise feature. If you work in corporate IT, I suggest you read up on it

Large Disk Support - Self explanatory

Storage spaces - few are aware of this, good stuff. Storages Spaces allow you to combine multiple disks into one storage pool. The new technology is comparable to RAID, but it is more flexible and easier to configure. Probably the coolest thing is that disks can be of different size and connected through USB, SATA, and SAS (Serial Attached SCSI). Storage pools support thin provisioning (physical space is only used when the capacity is needed) and resiliency (mirroring for fault tolerance).

Power Management - Just works. On same hardware Win 7 was flaky on.

NTFS - Many many, NTFS file system enhancement including self-monitoring/repair and enhanced TRIM support for SSDs. Many very technical improvements to improve reliability of SATA and SCSI.

Global Screenhots - lol, yes, Win+PrtScr

Keyboard Enhancements - Though I have not seen a single Win 8 keyboard, let alone one to take advantage of these

There's more. Anyway, Win 8 Desktop Environment is unquestionably superior to Win 7. The poor Core Modern UI apps and the UI itself are really the only issues grating on many people's nerves.

Out of your list, only SMB3 & Graphic Hardware Acceleration apply to me & are noticable. You need a fast system to take advantage of that though. SMB3 copying to a 5400RPM SATA2 drive over a 100Mbit router won't make a difference, SMB2 should easy hit 100Mbit. The login is nice, but not really broken in 7. Also not sure about PIN logging in, I use fingerprint myself which worked since forever. Explorer ribbon is nice, but big and cluttery. Glad its changable. Multi-monitor worked fine since XP, what more do you need? Yes I presume Metro would make multi-monitor less efficient. My USB3 drives remained the same speed, maybe due to specific USB3 win drivers? Secure Boot only ALLOWS windows right now, so its just angering anyone who uses linux/dual boots. Glad my system isn't UEFI. I only have a singular windows system, so settings roam means nothing, as well as windows to go, as I'm a consumer thats not in an enterprise. My 3TB drives and my friends 4TB drive had no problem working in his windows 7 system - how large of discs are we talking?

I did not know about storage spaces though. sounds cool. Something I have to look further into, with that flexibility I want to know what happens if a USB drive gets pulled by accident or a large capacity drive dies. Also, are they dedicated to that system now?

Keyboard enhancements intrigue me.. Because I install keyboard software now to use the special keys. As you said, wait and see.

So as you can see, as a basic user, 2 things stuck out to me when you listed 15+ relevant enhancements. herein where windows don't sell

I honestly think the main reason for the slow uptake for Windows 8 has more to do with the price of computers more than the interface. People might dislike the Modern interface but they would adjust in time. However, the price of computers have jumped alarmingly since the release of Windows 8, mainly because of the touchscreens. When people can get touchscreen tablets for $199, they don't see the value in getting a Windows 8 touchscreen for many times that.

I don't think it is modern, it looks almost like an updated version of Windows 3.1 but bland.

I don't think it is modern

I don't think that's the official name for it either. As far as I know, it's just called the "Windows 8" interface. Personally, I will continue to go with 'Metro'. Although I like David Pogue's idea of calling it TileWorld.

By the way, the graph in the OP is actually outdated. Here it is with two more data points:

post-5569-0-63248000-1362331250.jpg

Again, someone at MS incorrectly believes desktop computing is diminishing or losing significance. They are just ... wrong.
This. Microsoft should understand that the desktop UI is still by far the most appropriate for serious work sitting at a desktop with large monitors and high-performance, high-precision input devices like a keyboard and a mouse. It's great that they developed an alternative for small mobile touch screens, but someone there seems to think that this new UI can meet all needs. It does not.
  • Like 3

Out of your list, only SMB3 & Graphic Hardware Acceleration apply to me & are noticable. You need a fast system to take advantage of that though. SMB3 copying to a 5400RPM SATA2 drive over a 100Mbit router won't make a difference, SMB2 should easy hit 100Mbit. The login is nice, but not really broken in 7. Also not sure about PIN logging in, I use fingerprint myself which worked since forever. Explorer ribbon is nice, but big and cluttery. Glad its changable. Multi-monitor worked fine since XP, what more do you need? Yes I presume Metro would make multi-monitor less efficient. My USB3 drives remained the same speed, maybe due to specific USB3 win drivers? Secure Boot only ALLOWS windows right now, so its just angering anyone who uses linux/dual boots. Glad my system isn't UEFI. I only have a singular windows system, so settings roam means nothing, as well as windows to go, as I'm a consumer thats not in an enterprise. My 3TB drives and my friends 4TB drive had no problem working in his windows 7 system - how large of discs are we talking?

I did not know about storage spaces though. sounds cool. Something I have to look further into, with that flexibility I want to know what happens if a USB drive gets pulled by accident or a large capacity drive dies. Also, are they dedicated to that system now?

Keyboard enhancements intrigue me.. Because I install keyboard software now to use the special keys. As you said, wait and see.

So as you can see, as a basic user, 2 things stuck out to me when you listed 15+ relevant enhancements. herein where windows don't sell

Here's a good Neowin clip on how 8 is improving large disk support, https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-details-how-windows-8-will-handle-large-hard-disk-drives

For UASP, you do need a current chipset with UASP support and a USB device with a controller that supports it. It's new, but shortly all chipsets and externals will support it. I know Intels H77 and Z77 fully support it as do Lacie's current Porsche line of externals and Theremaltake's current external enclosures. You won't get much with an older slow drive though in any case. Fast HDs with lots of cache SSDs, and Flash drives (Mushkin's Ventura Pro's support it as do Lacie's rugged thumb drive.)

I forgot to mention File History (Time Machine, lol), but I had to use it yesterday and it worked well. And FAST. Of course my File history drive is a 2TB SATA restoring 350G to a USB UASP external. Sustained 97MBs. Not too shabby considering both are pretty old HDs. I do miss the system imaging but never really like MS' implementation so I'm good. Gonna give Macrium a try.

Even if you only have one device, if you ever have to rebuild, it's nice to have most of your basic settings there already, to my surprise this included wifi settings across devices. That was cool. I love the PIN. I use a long complex password, it's nice after to put it in once, to go to a 4 digit pin. Very nice. If you're going to install an FP reader, obviously this is of not value to you but that's not very common in the enterprise, let alone your average Joe.

I hear what you're saying about UEFI and Linux et. al., I, at this time have no interest in that and neither do most average users. It's a Windows and Mac world. FWIW, I would not consider anyone wanting to dual boot Linux a basic user.

Enthusiasts, who drive desktop computing IMO, will appreciate the improved TRIM support, I'm not sure SMB 3 is relevant to a home network really. But it is important in the corporate environment as is Windows To Go. Many, many consumers take screenshots of apps/games and now this is native. I'm all for fewer third-party apps for core and basic functionality (the opposite of where MS is going, lol).

As for storage spaces, I have not actually used them but I imagine you lose whatever data I on that drive but it should keep working. I'm guessing there will be an Action Center notification. I believe you can choose a config with redundancy.

Your summation that there really is no reason to upgrade is valid. But it is clearly a worth upgrade. At $14.99 or $39.99 with Free Media Center it was a no-brainer despite how irritating Metro is/was. Now though, not so much. I don't think I could justify a downgrade other than the fact that you do have to pay another $5 for Start8 but there are free alternatives.

People buying new PCs (not a lot) will take what they get. But the millions of installed base that aren't or won't upgrade is huge. Getting them on board would be a big win for MS. But right now they're punch drunk from the ass whippin' iPad and Android are giving them. They're stumblin' all over the place. Not finishing or polishing things off ... smh

I don't think that's the official name for it either. As far as I know, it's just called the "Windows 8" interface. Personally, I will continue to go with 'Metro'. Although I like David Pogue's idea of calling it TileWorld.

By the way, the graph in the OP is actually outdated. Here it is with two more data points:

TileWorld! I love it. It's a shame because Win 8 has much potential, but also sacrifices too much, that's the main reason I've stayed with Win 7.

I've only upgraded 1 laptop (1.9 GHz Turion x2, 2GB, nVidia 7150 Go) and it runs great on it. We leave it on the dining room table for a quick glance on weather, email and news. But any time any one has picked it up and tried to use it for prolonged multitasking using Metro / Desktop; they've been very frustrated, even though they understand the UI tricks on getting around; it just takes longer and is more tedious. Windows 8 really should have had two separate UI modes; but MS is arrogant and did not want to give users choice.

Microsoft forked themselves with this one. I"m sure Windows 9 will correct a bunch of the issues people are having. *ducks*

You can't really correct anything with Windows 9 because this was completely wrong IDEA on how to move Windows forward and it's now too late..

Now they have to push Metro and everything they imagined because it's the only thing they can do.. so I don't see how Windows 9 can fix anything..

Actually they are saying these days that Windows 9 might completely remove desktop.. now that would be even more insane idea.

Having the tablet and desktop OS in one is terrible idea that was executed even worse. There's a reason why Balmer himself said "This was the riskiest move Microsoft made pretty much ever".. Well, it has failed. The whole strategy is beyond stupid.

They should have pushed Metro OS/Surface separately, desktop Windows improved and not completely turned upside down.

But I can't say I care too much about them.. Microsoft has become largely irrelevant in the future of computing and is growing more so with every passing month.

• Like 3

Not this crap again.

:rolleyes:

Fanbois will always defend the indefensible regardless of facts. For those not so short-sighted, we can now just revel in the warm glow that is; "I told you so."

these are not facts.these are stats from webpages this company tracks. they are still tracking sites that are irrelevant today that were popular years ago, for example digg.this skews the results bigtime. and not only that, using percentages to gage how well sales are is not a comparison on actual sales numbers. %1 of a million is more than %50 of 100.

if you want facts, then here are the facts. they sold 40 million copies in a month, then added another 20 million the next month. so 60 million copies sold in 2 months.

of course, most of the haters will resort back to some silly stats from web tracking,and twist the results because they are wrong,and the product is a success. listen,people can whine and pout all they want, but Microsoft is in the business of making money, not making a bunch of people on message forums happy that don't make a blip on their radar. Consumers don't want outdated desktop crap. They're speaking with their wallets. They want touch,easy simple interfaces. Microsoft is being generous still including the legacy desktop, but in the future,youre going to have to dig deeper and deeper to pull it up. Maybe the desktop will become an addon,or even a wrapper, kind of like what you do to run old dos stuff.

You can't really correct anything with Windows 9 because this was completely wrong IDEA on how to move Windows forward and it's now too late..

Now they have to push Metro and everything they imagined because it's the only thing they can do.. so I don't see how Windows 9 can fix anything..

Actually they are saying these days that Windows 9 might completely remove desktop.. now that would be even more insane idea.

Having the tablet and desktop OS in one is terrible idea that was executed even worse. There's a reason why Balmer himself said "This was the riskiest move Microsoft made pretty much ever".. Well, it has failed. The whole strategy is beyond stupid.

They should have pushed Metro OS/Surface separately, desktop Windows improved and not completely turned upside down.

But I can't say I care too much about them.. Microsoft has become largely irrelevant in the future of computing and is growing more so with every passing month.

Give it a few years, and you'll see why Microsoft changed. It takes more time than 5 months. There is no more long term viability in the point and click desktop. None. To *not* change would have been the more insane idea, especially after the kickback Microsoft got from Windows 7 powered tablets and devices, or are you forgetting that?

Give it a few years, and you'll see why Microsoft changed. It takes more time than 5 months. There is no more long term viability in the point and click desktop. None. To *not* change would have been the more insane idea, especially after the kickback Microsoft got from Windows 7 powered tablets and devices, or are you forgetting that?

Again with the same argument with point and click being dead? Really?

Why can't you guys just face up to facts. Windows 8 on the desktop is just a mess. It is not "Just as good" as Windows 7.

I have just installed a second monitor, now (without applications like Start8) I keep activating the charms bar every few minutes.

And I bet you all the fanboys will tell me to "Learn how to use your mouse. Microsoft is sooooooooooo perfect, it is obviously you that is the problem".

Come on. The attitude here is just so ridiculous. I have said numerous times I use and actually LIKE Windows 8. There are a few things I hate about it. YET, people still attack me saying "Learn how to use your mouse, it is not Microsoft's fault you cannot use your mouse correctly".

I do not remember having hot corners in Windows 7 with dual screens......

Yes, and enterprise computing across the globe, that made Microsoft who it is, and is their cash Enterprise Agreement Cow along with the Desktop Office Productivity Suite which funds everything else, ceased to exist upon the release of Windows 8 Modern UI. Absolutely.

While Mobile computing IS the emerging market that MS needs to get into to continue to grow revenue, it has not supplanted the world's productive desktops.

When Newegg.com, ASUS, AMD, NVIDIA, Gigabyte, et. al. go out of business, I might consider the over the top statement you made.