Windows 8 adoption rate almost at a standstill, far behind Windows 7

I'm not the one trying to sell everyone on the idea that we should be superseding PC hardware with tinkertoys you are.

And quite poorly I might add. Considering all of these "new" devices that have allegedly "dethroned" the mouse, aren't really new at all. Lol

• Like 3

I'm not the one trying to sell everyone on the idea that we should be superseding PC hardware with tinkertoys you are.

"Tinkertoys", huh? Is that why businesses are adopting them en masse? Is that why I have a buddy working for a small business who develops ONLY iOS apps for business use? Is that why schools are using them as education assets? And is that why many people can find that all they need is an iPad for their needs?

>>I never said keyboard.<<

You are correct you did not. Mouse & Keyboard tend to stick together.

>>but in our everyday lives, especially that of the younger generations, how many still use a mouse more than touch?<<

Everyone that wants a job using a computer. Everyone uses a mouse more than touch on a desktop computer. Even on a laptop, touch, a mouse is more efficient, even with the Start Page.

As I said, tablet computing is a complement and/or a parallel market to desktop computing. Even in school whether it's a mac or a pc a mouse and keyboard are and will be the primary input for some time to come. Your personal mobile device notwithstanding.

>>Hell, I've had my laptop for over three years now, and the other day, without thinking, I reached out to touch it.<<

You should get over that. Even with a touch desktop, how much can you actually reach out and do, your gonna draw an email? Visio diagram? Recipe, personal budget, touch is of limited value. There are niche environments where it is of great value. Kiosks and touch input is not knew, and neither are the places where it is of value.

Remember after AVATAR 3D was going to take over everything, again? Just like the 1950s. MP3 players killed walkmans, which were killed by smartphones, but headphones remain.

Yes, but we've never had anything that has really taken advantage of these technologies before. Look at touch, It was hobbled together over a Windows Embedded version that had a desktop built for the mouse.

Now we do. Hell, just the other day, the creator of the Penny Arcade comic strip had a pretty nice article about what he was able to do with a Surface Pro.

Again with the same argument with point and click being dead? Really?

Why can't you guys just face up to facts. Windows 8 on the desktop is just a mess. It is not "Just as good" as Windows 7.

I have just installed a second monitor, now (without applications like Start8) I keep activating the charms bar every few minutes.

And I bet you all the fanboys will tell me to "Learn how to use your mouse. Microsoft is sooooooooooo perfect, it is obviously you that is the problem".

Come on. The attitude here is just so ridiculous. I have said numerous times I use and actually LIKE Windows 8. There are a few things I hate about it. YET, people still attack me saying "Learn how to use your mouse, it is not Microsoft's fault you cannot use your mouse correctly".

I do not remember having hot corners in Windows 7 with dual screens......

"Not as good as Windows 7" why? The ONLY item that DIDN'T get carried over from Windows 7's UI is the Start menu. Period. (The Superbar and Taskbar pinning - both launched with Vista, and accepted with 7 - remain in Windows 8 today. The "Taskbar pin" option - in the installer for Google Chrome for Windows - has been present since version 22, and remains in version 24, the current/stable version, and it works in both 7 and 8.)

Tell me, please, O defenders of Windows 7's UI - what else is missing?

Here is the absolute reality, folks - while the Start menu is not there in Windows 8, every other UI feature from Windows 7 is either untouched or even IMPROVED in Windows 8. In fact, I have some features that I use that are, in fact, carryover from Windows 7 or older that got major enhancements in Windows 8; the biggest enhancement is, amusingly, a carryover from Windows 2000 Professional - Runboxing. One area where integration with Index Server (part of the NT core since the aforementioned Windows 2000) and Windows Search (the successor to Index Server as of XP Service Pack 2/Server 2003 Service Pack 1) is the command line. Power users - how many of you actually use it (the command line that is)? I'm not talking about just PowerShell (which is no longer the Ugly Stepchild of desktop Windows, despite being included since its birth), but even ordinary command-line usage? Are you really power users, or are you more power mousers? I willingly admit to falling into the power-mouser camp - I don't know as much about PowerShell as I should to be a true power user - yet I leverage the Runbox more than most of you, despite still using a keyboard and mouse, and in the supposedly "wrong" UI. And what is worse, most of how I use it is. in fact, carryover.

"Not as good as Windows 7" why? The ONLY item that DIDN'T get carried over from Windows 7's UI is the Start menu. Period. (The Superbar and Taskbar pinning - both launched with Vista, and accepted with 7 - remain in Windows 8 today. The "Taskbar pin" option - in the installer for Google Chrome for Windows - has been present since version 22, and remains in version 24, the current/stable version, and it works in both 7 and 8.)

Here is the absolute reality, folks - while the Start menu is not there in Windows 8, every other UI feature from Windows 7 is either untouched or even IMPROVED in Windows 8. In fact, I have some features that I use that are, in fact, carryover from Windows 7 or older that got major enhancements in Windows 8; the biggest enhancement is, amusingly, a carryover from Windows 2000 Professional - Runboxing. One area where integration with Index Server (part of the NT core since the aforementioned Windows 2000) and Windows Search (the successor to Index Server as of XP Service Pack 2/Server 2003 Service Pack 1) is the command line. Power users - how many of you actually use it (the command line that is)? I'm not talking about just PowerShell (which is no longer the Ugly Stepchild of desktop Windows, despite being included since its birth), but even ordinary command-line usage? Are you really power users, or are you more power mousers? I willingly admit to falling into the power-mouser camp - I don't know as much about PowerShell as I should to be a true power user - yet I leverage the Runbox more than most of you, despite still using a keyboard and mouse, and in the supposedly "wrong" UI. And what is worse, most of how I use it is. in fact, carryover.

The "superbar", and taskbar pinning debuted with Windows 7, not Vista.

The "superbar" and taskbar pinning, debuted with Windows 7, not Vista.

Both started in Vista (ignored, but there); usage of both exploded with the adoption of 7. Still, nobody else has named anything other than the Start menu that got axed between 7 and 8 - which was precisely my point. (The Superbar, in fact, grew out of the Quick Launch bar, which came in with XP - that also remains in Windows 8 today.)

Basically, to all too many users - despite how little they may actually use it - the Start menu is what makes Windows recognizable.

Power Shell is best for Admin duties. There are things you must do in Exchange that are just a headache and a half any other way. Some global operations just aren't even possible from the GUI.

On the personal desktop, I primarily launch web sites using Win+R Website, lol. I type about 90 wpm comfortably so I do that faster than I can launch a browser and click in the address bar and type the URL. It's the drag the mouse to the address bar that slows it down. Even in 7. That's part of what make a lot of Modern UI less efficient, all the travel time before you can actually perform the action you want.

I think the only way to truly disable hibernate and recover that space is from the command line. Diskpart is still useful, but not much. I always optimize my WiFi settings with netsh, but that's a one time thing.

I also miss and update to System Image, though Windows 7's is there if you search, I haven't tried to use it. Going third party.

People who miss the Start Menu did a lot with it, including search. Those things are in 8 but arguably less efficient and to some (in my case Modern UI Search) just nerve racking. I view my and launch Favorites from Start menu (displayed as hierarchical menu, which is faster than opening the browser and going to favorites as well as my Personal Documents, Computer, and Recorded TV. All faster than opening Explorer. All that customizability, efficiency, is gone. And back again with Start8 :)

People who miss the Start Menu did a lot with it, including search. Those things are in 8 but arguably less efficient and to some (in my case Modern UI Search) just nerve racking. I view my and launch Favorites from Start menu (displayed as hierarchical menu, which is faster than opening the browser and going to favorites as well as my Personal Documents, Computer, and Recorded TV. All faster than opening Explorer. All that customizability, efficiency, is gone. And back again with Start8 :)

I used the Start Menu just like any other Windows user, but the new Start Screen didn't remove any of its functionality. Am I going to cry over the fact that I might have to make an extra click or drag my mouse an extra few pixels? No, that's what the mouse was designed to do, click and move. Not everything is going to be easily accessible in one click.

A user-friendly environment.

There is nothing user unfriendly with Metro. "Unfamiliar" (IF you haven't taken the time already to familiarize yourself with it by now), but nothing Unfriendly.

In your opinion.

Metro is a another computing environment among many. If you can't use it, or "find it hostile", than I'd hate to see you guys use an iPad or smartphone, because it's no different from that.

I used the Start Menu just like any other Windows user, but the new Start Screen didn't remove any of its functionality. Am I going to cry over the fact that I might have to make an extra click or drag my mouse an extra few pixels? No, that's what the mouse was designed to do, click and move. Not everything is going to be easily accessible in one click.

Based on your post over time, I doubt you used the start menu as more than a program launcher. I doubt anyone is crying, they're not buying it. And if you're really thinking touch will replace a mouse, you already don't mind wasting time and effort so you're probably fine making extra clicks and drags. A few pixels, that would be lest than a centimeter. Try all day long 10-13". I'm being generous by saying halfway across the screen from 20-27" monitors.

So, no, users aren't going to cry, they're just not going to boy it. Who would pay to go backwards if that's how they perceive the changes as it relates to their computing experience. Who's going to deploy it if it will generate help desk calls for silly help, or just to express irritation and request the old system back? The real world is a lot bigger than your cousin's iPad.

Metro is a another computing environment among many. If you can't use it, or "find it hostile", than I'd hate to see you guys use an iPad or smartphone, because it's no different from that.

Only iPad's and smartphone's aren't desktop computing environments.

• Like 3

Based on your post over time, I doubt you used the start menu as more than a program launcher. I doubt anyone is crying, they're not buying it. And if you're really thinking touch will replace a mouse, you already don't mind wasting time and effort so you're probably fine making extra clicks and drags. A few pixels, that would be lest than a centimeter. Try all day long 10-13". I'm being generous by saying halfway across the screen from 20-27" monitors.

That's all the Start Menu was, an app launcher, same with the Start Screen. If you're running a 25+ inch monitor, there are ways to alleviate many irritations that you describe, such as increasing the DPI (Yes, you can even do that in Metro) and mouse tracking.

So, no, users aren't going to cry, they're just not going to boy it. Who would pay to go backwards if that's how they perceive the changes as it relates to their computing experience. Who's going to deploy it if it will generate help desk calls for silly help, or just to express irritation and request the old system back? The real world is a lot bigger than your cousin's iPad.

That describes the help desk any other time, but that hasn't stopped things from changing before, so why will it now? Support calls haven't stopped the company I work for from rescinding their system update, not sure why you see that as a valid excuse for others.

>>That's all the Start Menu was, an app launcher, same with the Start Screen. If you're running a 25+ inch monitor, there are ways to alleviate many irritations that you describe, such as increasing the DPI (Yes, you can even do that in Metro) and mouse tracking.<<

Resistance is futile, smh. I understand now. :>

>>That describes the help desk any other time, but that hasn't stopped things from changing before, so why will it now?<<

It absolutely does change things. Only you don't know it. These decisions are made for you by people a bit more experienced and responsible for these things.

>>That's all the Start Menu was, an app launcher, same with the Start Screen. If you're running a 25+ inch monitor, there are ways to alleviate many irritations that you describe, such as increasing the DPI (Yes, you can even do that in Metro) and mouse tracking.<<

Resistance is futile, smh. I understand now. :>

>>That describes the help desk any other time, but that hasn't stopped things from changing before, so why will it now?<<

It absolutely does change things. Only you don't know it. These decisions are made for you by people a bit more experienced and responsible for these things.

That sounds like the argument made by liberals - they aren't always right. There are times that a person should (in fact, MUST) make a decision for themselves.

Decrying Microsoft's decision is one thing - note that I have no opinion - one way or the other - regarding whether axing the Start menu overall was good or bad; I simply started that it had NO impact on me.

Further, most of the bring-backs ALSO contain features the Start menu ITSELF lacked when it was present; therefore, they do more than simply bring back a tossed feature.

THAT is why I asked those that stuck to Windows 7 to give me more gist than the easily-put-back Start menu.

Ipads are touch devices, metro may not be user-hostile in that situation, on a regular desktop however metro is indeed user-hostile.

Regardless, these are still just your opinions. Not fact. Spin it however you want. Insult as many people as you want. The true fact here, is that your opinion does not make it fact. What you believe to be user friendly is not necessarily the same as what someone else would find user friendly. You can argue until you're blue in the face that Windows 8 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it does not make it fact.

• Like 2

There is nothing user unfriendly with Metro. "Unfamiliar" (IF you haven't taken the time already to familiarize yourself with it by now), but nothing Unfriendly.

This is only your opinion, an opinion that differs greatly with countless others, you do realize windows 8 has completely failed, right? perhaps you should go back and read the OP.

This is only your opinion, an opinion that differs greatly with countless others, you do realize windows 8 has completely failed, right? perhaps you should go back and read the OP.

There are no sources saying Windows 8 has "completely failed". That's just you saying that. You've been quite openly hostile to the OS for some time now (yes, I'm calling you out on that), and won't even make a positive comment about it, even on front page news articles showcasing positive Windows 8 happenings.

Market share is no indication of that. If that's the case, then Linux has completely failed too, and I guess you could add Apple Macs to that as well.

There are no sources saying Windows 8 has "completely failed". That's just you saying that. Market share is no indication of that. If that's the case, then Linux has completely failed too, and I guess you could add Apple Macs to that as well.

I'm still waiting for the sources to all of these magical "new technologies" (that have existed for years) and their sudden "dethroning" of the mouse. Just saying...

I'm still waiting for the sources to all of these magical "new technologies" (that have existed for years) and their sudden "dethroning" of the mouse. Just saying...

Really? Funny, there was just one the other day... This is for all of those who claim to "need" a mouse for drawing...

>>That sounds like the argument made by liberals - they aren't always right. There are times that a person should (in fact, MUST) make a decision for themselves.<<

I'm not sure exactly what that's in reference to. The corporate help desk and IT departments and how they decide what to and not to deploy, and Dept. Heads who demand technology changes based on their staff's productivity?

>>Further, most of the bring-backs ALSO contain features the Start menu ITSELF lacked when it was present; therefore, they do more than simply bring back a tossed feature.

THAT is why I asked those that stuck to Windows 7 to give me more gist than the easily-put-back Start menu.<<

I've only used Start8, so I'm not sure about all the additional features other than including Metro apps and allowing a delayed windows key press to open either Start Menu or Start Page. I think people want the functionality, efficiency. Not necessarily literally the old Start Menu. I don't think the absence of the Start Menu really bothers people, it's that the Modern UI doesn't meet their needs without it. Example, I have Start8 to avoid Modern UI Search. Not that I have a problem hitting the Start Button and typing my search term. That's exactly the same process as Win 7. It's what happens after that.

This isn't unique. There's Bob, WindowsMe, Vista, Windows Mobile, Active Desktop. If people don't like it, they won't buy or deploy it. If they don't buy or deploy it, Microsoft will fix it ... i.e. Windows 7. Given the importance of Windows 8, the marketing dollars spent, I doubt the Start Menu is coming back in any form, but many of the complaints will definitely be addressed. My recommendation is upgrade, and voice your complaints, unless you just really hate it. Don't buy anything you don't want.

Really? Funny, there was just one the other day... This is for all of those who claim to "need" a mouse for drawing...

Real artists have always used a stylus for drawing. Long time. Mac and PC. What do you think Wacom is known for? They're not new.

Real artists have always used a stylus for drawing. Long time. Mac and PC. What do you think Wacom is known for? They're not new.

They're "new" in the fact that they're becoming more common in the consumer space. The Surface Pro takes that a step further. How long will it be before there's Wacom tech in the touch AiO's sold?