File Explorer Slow To Open From Taskbar

• 5 months later...

My jump lists started running very slow.  When opening programs from a shortcut on the desktop it is extremely fast, but when I click on a file pined to the application icon in the task bar it is so slow it has to speed up to stop.  I have read the thread on this and since I have Windows 8.1 I can't change the pate in the properties of the jump list.  I called Microsoft tech support and was told they would have to back up my machine, reinstall the OS.  Since the only back up was going to be the data, I would have to reinstall all my programs.  That is not going to happen.  To do that would shut me down for two days, not including resetting all my custom options and profiles in the many programs I have.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this situation?

• 2 months later...

I wanted to contribute and say that, for me, this problem goes away if I disable the nVidia Context Menu: 

1. Go to nVidia Control either by Right-Clicking on your desktop and choosing "nVidia Control Panel" or going to Windows Control Panel and searching for "nVidia."

2. (It might take a few moments to load). In the Desktop menu of the nVidia Control Panel make sure you UNSELECT "Add Desktop Context Menu" and "Show Notification Tray Icon" and "Add Run with Graphics Coprocessor" if it exists.

That's it. Problem goes away. Not only does Windows Explorer open instantly from the taskbar. But another problem is solved that I was experiencing: when you switch back from another account, the Start Screen is slow and shows the same delay when clicking.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to contribute and say that, for me, this problem goes away if I disable the nVidia Context Menu: 

1. Go to nVidia Control either by Right-Clicking on your desktop and choosing "nVidia Control Panel" or going to Windows Control Panel and searching for "nVidia."

2. (It might take a few moments to load). In the Desktop menu of the nVidia Control Panel make sure you UNSELECT "Add Desktop Context Menu" and "Show Notification Tray Icon" and "Add Run with Graphics Coprocessor" if it exists.

That's it. Problem goes away. Not only does Windows Explorer open instantly from the taskbar. But another problem is solved that I was experiencing: when you switch back from another account, the Start Screen is slow and shows the same delay when clicking.

Not work for me, does anyone have another idea?

I have windows 8.1 and no solution works.

• Eric locked this topic